PDA

View Full Version : Filling out log-book correctly

Jezzmeister
27th Apr 2005, 00:13
Hi there
i hope this is in the correct forum section

Im a vr in my uas and counting up the hours for my ppl(hopefully soon)

Ive been told to, at end of each term, to count up and get them signed of by cfi. It seems that not even the cfi knows specifiaclly how to do this as well as other instructors.

Ive been logging under three headings: course hours (dual and solo)
non course (dual and solo)
and total dual and solo
for each academic term

my question is: are the total hours meant to include total hours for entire flying career at uas or just that term.

Obviously it makes more sense to just sign them off for each term.
If so how can i get a total accumulated hour count (other then in columns in bottom of book which also ask for totals) or add them up manually

this must seem a bit ambiguous-in summary-for each term, do i total complete eft/non eft hours added to hours accumulated that term or just hours accumulated each term.

Im grateful for a response as im getting so so so so many different stories and such have ruined by book with tipexx.

Having never seen a log book before properly filled in im a bit lost

thankx

Jez

10002level
27th Apr 2005, 10:05
I remember many years ago I had a PPL prior to joining the UAS and found that the RAF counted the hours differently to the CAA (RAF only logged flying time, CAA log chock to chocks).

I do not know what the equirements of the services are, but if you intend to go into civilian aviation the bottom line will be hours flown when it comes to licence issue. I this respect I would ensure that your total hours should be entered as including the non-flying portion of the flights.

Re-Heat
27th Apr 2005, 16:47
1) Add 5 mins before and after - a total of 10 mins per sortie - to each flight to account for taxi time for CAA purposes.

2) PPL hours can include all that time - so long as you follow the specific requirements of the extra items that you need to do for the PPL.

3) Record the lesson no so that you know what you did at each sortie - uesful.

4) Include number of rollers/full stops.

5) You don't need to do it every term, so long as prior to issue or test it is signed by the CFI I believe.

Ask BEagle.

Flik Roll
27th Apr 2005, 20:14
Just enter your UAS flying in your log book, no one needs to sign it; just get a course sign off. After all, it's a civvie reg a/c and the are QFI's. If you want to be safe, just get a sign off at end of course; or after IHT.
You may want to get a signoff for Spin aeros Cx as well (useful for proving to any flying school that you have been cleared solo aeros and have done training). Use your paper logbook; and get that signed off properly; as back up.

I didn't bother adding the 5 mins either side of take off and landing...too much hassle.

I just enter them as normal flights in datel order, with any civvie flying inbetween inserted as per normal.

In remarks:

Ex No., number of landings total, and also any SSAAT (stalling/spinning), any aeros and any PFLs.

It actually says in the book that VR studes etc. don't need to write it in their CAA logbook, but just use the paper issue one; but i have done anyway for ease of adding. I already have my PPL so i haven't really thought it through :E

And every civvie logbook is different....and when ever i have flown civvie and been logging time i have logged it take off to landing cos it's cheaper and we don't run off hobbs (no, serioulsy i don't do it because its cheap, but becuase i was mil. first[force of habbit]; so my logbook is probably pretty inaccurate; and i don't think taxying really counts as flying time?)
:}

vancouv
28th Apr 2005, 09:55
When training I was told that a flight starts when the plane first moves under its own power with the intention of flying until it is parked and engine is shut down - ie block time. So taxiing does count as flying time.

However taxiing to the pumps would not count as there is no intention to fly.

On one occasion I taxied out to the hold and then had a problem with my radio, which entailed a lengthy wait before I was cleared to taxi back and park - the whole thing took nearly 30 mins. My instructor told me I could claim this in my logbook as I was intending to fly - however I decided not to bother.

Fuji Abound
28th Apr 2005, 12:41
Flick Roll - "i don't think taxying really counts as flying time"

Without a pedantic intention this caught my eye.

Log book time I guess is there to demonstrate your experience in charge of the aircraft. It seems to me there are almost as many lessons to learn whilst taxing, and more than a few of the incidents occur whilst taxing, so I reckon it should count every bit as much as airtime.:D

BEagle
28th Apr 2005, 14:37
Complete your UAS logbook as per the squadron's instructions. A QFI will undoubtedly have been joe'd in the past to produce an idiot's guide. Or should have been!!

In parallel, keep a civil Personal Flying Logbook in which you record your flights in accordance with the instructions contained therein. That is, from chocks-to-chocks. For flights in Das Teutor undertaken before you buy a civil logbook, you may not just add 10 minutes to each flight. The CAA allows some percentage credit for 'taxi time' when you submit a military logbook, but, strictly speaking, the 'taxi time allowance' is really only for use in preparing CVs. Whereas you are obliged to record flights correctly in a civil logbook - so I strongly recommend that you buy one and do so!

You do not need any 'periodic summary' totals in your civil logbook; do not permit ask any QFI who does not also hold a civil FI or CRI Rating to countersign anything in your civil logbook as a licence number is required.

Flights must be recorded in a civil logbook 'as soon as practicable' after the completion of the flight - not, as with most UAS studes, when your QFI kicks your bone-idle ar$e for not having completed it for the previous term!

Falsifying entries in a civil logbook is a serious offence - so don't ever be tempted to do so!