PDA

View Full Version : Jabiru 450UL

Genghis the Engineer
24th Apr 2005, 22:46
I should probably have this information at my fingertips, but I don't and need it for some private notes.

Can anybody tell me the best glide speed and ratio for the Jabiru 450UL, and also what the manual recommends for spin recovery actions on the type.

Thanks a lot if anybody can help,

G

(Actually one other question - how do the brakes & parking brake work on the beastie?)

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2005, 15:20
Haha, found out by another route anyhow (just as well with 97 views and no answer).

In case anybody's interested, best glide is 18:1 at 57 kn, spin recovery is idle / ailerons neutral / opposite rudder / stick forward / hold until recovered / as rotation stops pull out from dive.

And the lever in the middle of the cockpit operates matched twin disk brakes on the mains (no toe brakes, no diff-braking).

G :O

Confabulous
25th Apr 2005, 15:42
18:1 @ 57kts - isn't that a bit too good for a UL?? :E :ok: Assuming that a 172 would get about 9:1.

You could use it for ridge soaring!

Genghis the Engineer
25th Apr 2005, 16:10
Well it's what the manual claims.

It's 40% the weight of a 172, all composite with only a slightly smaller wingspan - so not totally out of court.

On the other hand, the POH also claims 250m TODR on grass at MTOW, and that I've yet to see out of a Jabiru, so there may be a bit of poetic licence in there.

G