PDA

View Full Version : Flying into Manchester

gliderman69
24th Apr 2005, 07:05
Hi All!!

Quick question! Has anyone flown GA into Manchester?

How much did it cost?

Was it pain free?

Would you do it again? Would you recommend it! :D

Any info gratefully received!

Gliderman!

tb10er
24th Apr 2005, 07:08
Not done it personally, but if you want to be held for ages, and want to pay for handling agents and the like, then have a go.

Personally I would chose Barton or Liverpool.

gliderman69
24th Apr 2005, 07:15
Liverpool could work.....

Only reason I am toying with the idea is that I am off to the Man U Chelsea game on the 10th.

Whats liverpool like to fly into?

maggioneato
24th Apr 2005, 09:32
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I phoned MSF recently to see about flying in to Manchester again, last time was about 8 years ago, not as busy then but you could see the lights of many aircraft on approach, we were just slotted in between them. Under 1 ton £30 +VAT. Over is £40 + VAT, but I didn't ask up to what limit that covers, it includes our 172. Arrivals weekday after 11am, departure before 4pm. 24 hours notice required. Weekends the times are different, with no restrictions on Sun, can't remember what was said about Sat as I hadn't intended to visit Sat.
Last time I asked about LPL, with handling, costs were similar to Manchester, but not as many restricions. As it was foggy on the day we had planned so didn't go. Liverpool is ok to fly into. I learnt to fly there. ATC are great, very helpful. Give Ravenair at LPL a ring also MSF at Manch, then make your decision.

Small Rodent Driver
24th Apr 2005, 09:56
Not thought of Barton?

Right on the doorstep of Old T.

Depends on size of aircraft of course. Learjets etc only with difficulty

Dizzee Rascal
24th Apr 2005, 10:06
Liverpool is ok to fly into. I learnt to fly there. ATC are great, very helpful.

I agree! Although knowing one of the ATCOs there I would say that!:ok:

DR

wet wet wet
24th Apr 2005, 10:18
Flew into MAN last weekend. We may have been lucky and had no delays inbound and outbound, ATC were excellent. As said above 24 hours PPR required with the Manchester School of Flying. Cost us £41.13 total for under one tonne. But, I'm not sure about parking (we were in and out fairly quickly). The MSF is located next to the viewing park (with the Concorde and Avro 146) so its a long way from the terminals and any ground transportation.

The only problem we had is that you park on the opposite side of the main taxiway from the MSF and the car that they send to pick you up had a very long wait to get taxiway crossing clearance.

You must be familiar with the VFR arrival /departure routes and a map of the airport taxiway system is also vital! And don't forget your yellow jackets!

jayteeto
24th Apr 2005, 11:22
Liverpool is 99% pain free and is GA friendly, ATC are excellent and tolerant. The 1% pain is that of cost, it is 'kin expensive. If money no object, then go for it.....

gliderman69
24th Apr 2005, 15:40
Hey all!

Thanks for the the info, may tackle Manchester!

I have a Rockwell Commander haven't really looked into Barton will have a gander!

Cheers all

eyeinthesky
24th Apr 2005, 18:08

I have a Rockwell Commander

Unquote

So £40 is peanuts, then... ;)

Sir George Cayley
24th Apr 2005, 19:04
And Rockwell 112s and 114s can operate in and out of Barton no probs.

One was based there.

Or do you need 3000m to get it down?

Sir George Cayley

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th Apr 2005, 19:53
Been in and out of Manch loads of times (used to fly a based 172 years ago), but not so much recently since it has become less GA friendly. Last time was summer before last when they allowed certain 'interesting' aeroplanes in free during the '100 years of flight' weekend. I took our Chipmunk in twice! And got the new runway in me logbook. ;)

Said Chippy is now based at Liverpool. ATC are 'variable'. Generally very good, but this Saturday lots of delays to us both leaving and returning. It is getting busier with commercials, and I understand there are currently trainee ATCOs on duty being trained up to cater for the increased commercial traffic. That might explain the percieved lack of flexibilty to us GA types last Saturday in getting us away/in when a Sleazy Jet (or whatever) is on an 8 mile final. Previously an 'immediate T/O clearance' with an early turn out was not unusual when said sleasy is short final or lining up from an intersection further back along the runway.

SSD

squibbler
26th Apr 2005, 09:53
SSD - yep, lots of new inexperienced ATCO's. Some "ab-initio" so it's a bit of a slow down when they're just starting. They need to do 180 hrs minimum before they can be checked out. Previously valid ATCO's do between 40-90 hrs.

Must be a bit frustrating sitting at the holding point ready to go and being told to hold position whilst a Squeezy at 7 miles is cleared to land :suspect:

Rest assured there is an ATC instructor in the tower saying "Why have you cleared that to land? You could have got two tiddlers away there!!":}

That's how they learn.....:ok:

We have to be patient with low hours PPL's (oh so patient at times), appreciate it if you guys could reciprocate with our trainees:cool:

Oh, our IFR daily movements have increased by 25% since the start of the year with more to come. Even us old hands are finded VFR/IFR integration "interesting" at times ;)

DFC
26th Apr 2005, 11:51
If one wants to fly into Manchester simply to get it in the old log book, one might remember that Manchester does not charge a landing fee.....it charges a take-off fee.

Something that folds and has a trailer anyone........:)

How may Barton - Manchester and drive back flights could one get in from Dawn to Dusk? :D :D

Wonder is the handling agents car has a ball hitch? :}

Regards,

DFC

gliderman69
26th Apr 2005, 17:19

I have a Rockwell Commander

So £40 is peanuts, then...

Unquote

hey look after the pennies :D

Thanks for all the info once again pprune is the font of all knowledge!

Will be routing from Cranfield and have read that there are issues with a southern departure.

Sir george

LOL no don't need 3000m normally :D, just never looked at Bartons facilities in pooleys!

Alpha 16 I think its great that an airport the size of Manchester accomodates GA. So wouldn't be bothered too much about holding etc

Anyway have you ever to tried to get away at Cranfield when they have more than 3 in the circuit?
You would think that they were bloody heathrow 40 mintues is my record!

I am sure others on here would agree, its a nightmare sometimes

I think it's our duty to fly to places like Manchester to prove that GA and the big boys can fly together without a problem...certainly kills the arguement of the people kicking out the GA at Southampton!

rant coming up!

Went to the Areo show in Germany at Friedrichshafen, they seemed to manage more light aircraft I have seen in one place in a long time and Ryan air, and others without a problem....oh and landing fee for a Rockwell when I enquired.

"oh that would be....for that wieght....25 euros" :eek:

wow 25 euros....ummmmm too much for me...........not!!!!

lived in Sweden for a bit, my airfield there managed to have gliders, model airplanes, parachute school and a maintanace for ATP's

And another thing..................

*gets carried away ranting to no one in particular*

:D

But you can see my point no?

BartonBoy
26th Apr 2005, 22:54
Gliderman 69,

I suppose this all depends on whether your a Chelsea or Man U fan. If i was still a FISO at Barton i'd prob refuse you landing if your a Chelsea fan.... Only kidding! ;)

No please consider Barton. An interesting place to fly into with a great friendly atmosphere. The club will even order you a taxi ready upon landing if you require :cool: There are numerous hotels available between Old Trafford and Barton aerodrome if you haven't already booked.

Fixed Winged Landing Charges:

Upto 450kg........£7.00
451-1000kg........£10.00
1001-1600kg........£12.00
Above 1601kg........£16.00

AVGAS: £0.95 / Litre (plus VAT)

Overnight fee: £10 (Security present)

I would recommend phoning Barton Air Traffic beforehand on 0161 7877326 to check on airfield information and PPR.

Hope this helps,

BB

Spiney Norman
27th Apr 2005, 08:25
Gliderman69.
You might find this useful...It's rather over complex due to having to cover all eventualities! Shouldn't be a problem for you if you're planning in from cranfield though. Runway slots are at a bit of a premium though these days.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/299/DAP_ACD_ManCTR.pdf

Spiney

gliderman69
27th Apr 2005, 20:44
cheers Spiney

Will digest!

Gliderman