PDA

View Full Version : PPL in San Diego

DeltaRomeo
23rd Apr 2005, 15:35
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and and interested in hearing the views anyone who has trained in one of the San Diego schools.

I had a couple of discovery flights earlier this year, sufficient enough to cacth the bug and am planning a trip to the US West Coast this summer in between jobs. I have two months and hope that this would be enough to attain a PPL.

Would be keen to hear the views of those who have been to any of the schools in San Diego and particularly AAA and Flight Training ITL.

Thanks in advance.

DR

Gillespie
23rd Apr 2005, 17:20
Hi DR

I did my PPL and 2 summers worth of hour building at AAA (hence my user name, as they're based at Gillespie field).

I thoroughly enjoyed myself and I'm sure you will too. As for the flying, well, you have a bit of everything there...hot and high, deserts, ocean, busy LA airspace for RT experience and some of the most spectacular sunsets you ever going to see.

It's an extremely friendly school (British run), with good instructors. Had a few problems with A/C going tech when I was there but what school doesn't have such problems. I found that Chris Whatson (the owner of the school) will bend over backwards to get you in the air. Just read how that sounds and I can assure you he's not that way inclined!

San Diego is probably the most beautiful city in the States, and if you ask me, AAA is the place to fly from.

Good luck.

DeltaRomeo
23rd Apr 2005, 17:33
Thanks for the reply Gillespie.

Since posting my original message have uncovered some previous threads regarding AAA - some favourable and some definately not! Guessing that it's a case of "one mans meat" so to speak......

Seems also that most of the threads relating to AAA are by no means recent.

How long did it take you to get your PPL there and at roughly what cost?

Thanks again!

DR

Hufty
23rd Apr 2005, 18:30
"If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" so it goes.

On that basis, I have absolutely nothing to say about AAA. Loads of other good schools in the area.

The WX in san Diego can be very poor too - marine layers etc. Try further inland if you can.

Hufty.

stefair
23rd Apr 2005, 20:41
San Diego is probably the most beautiful city in the States

No way dude! Really? Do you think so? I say it's most definitely Frisco!!! And besides, there's nothing better than NorCal!! Well, the constant fog's really annoying but other than that you find in Frisco greater restaurants, more sophisticated architecture, a buzzing nightlife, etc. :ok:

San Dog's just all new, nothing special.

DeltaRomeo,

I plan on attaining my PPL at AAA this summer too. What months do you exactly intend to go?

Training Risky
23rd Apr 2005, 21:52
I was at AAA in 1998, and I have nothing derogatory at all to say about the accomodation, staff, ac, location or nightlife!

The marine layer is only really a problem in June: June Gloom.

Best 6 months of my life!

type1
23rd Apr 2005, 22:16
"If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all" so it goes.

In that case I have nothing to say either.

Definitely try other schools around.

DeltaRomeo
23rd Apr 2005, 23:29
Hmmm, interesting mix of opinions. Thx to all.

type1 & Hufty,
Did you guys train at AAA?

Training Risky,
I plan to go stateside for July & August so hopefully the "June Gloom" will have lifted right?!

stefair,
When are you heading to AAA. And what made you decide on San Diego (intead of "Frisco") and specifically AAA?

DeltaRomeo

Cactus99
24th Apr 2005, 13:20
Did some hour building at AAA a few years back and once we got over the initial problems of a/c going tech etc, they were fine.

There is a BUT though. I spoken to a few people who have been out there recently and have not had a good experience and have been mucked around to say the least.

I gather that it has gone downhill in recent months. As the above posts suggest, do your homework before going out and DONT settle for second best!!

Goodluck:ok:

C99

stefair
25th Apr 2005, 09:09
DeltaRomeo,
Check your PM!

Cheers!

GoldenMonkey
25th Apr 2005, 11:57
I was out at Gillespie Field with AAA in August last year for some hour building. I hit my targets and achieved what I set out there to do. In summary I would say:

+ve:
Varied flying. Conjested Airspace around LA. Mountain flying, Ocean flying. Weather challenges... Fog, Hot & High, Mountainous terrain.
Airfields every 2 miles.
People were great.
Accomodation/food cheap.
Top Gun's Miramar 4 miles flight away.

-ve:
Over booked. Bit of a bung fight for A/C. Just have to stand your ground.
Marine Layer to the west in the mornings. Thunder storms building in the mountains to the east in the afternoon.
Lure of the boozer. Too easy to indulge.

I would go again. Was a great month.

Cheers

GM

johnnypick
25th Apr 2005, 11:59
San Diego is a great place to stay, I have been going to AAA for the past 4 years. PPL to CFI/II/MEI and instructed there for over a year. I have nothing but good things to say about the place and would recomend it to anybody. 2 months would be ample to get a PPL done, I've got people through in 3 weeks.

tschierv
25th Apr 2005, 13:21
DR:

Just in case:

I can recommend you the Scandinavian flight training academy based at Montgomery airfield. I just did my proficiency-check there and was satisfied with costs and especially the high quality.

Check out http://www.scanavia.com

As you seem to be from the UK, it might be of interest for you to know that they also offer JAA programmes as well. Big advantage if you can do both FAA & JAA PPL in one time.