PDA

View Full Version : SA Airlink to be dumped by SAA

TooBadSoSad
22nd Apr 2005, 19:31
Various sources reporting that SA Airlink is losing its codeshare with SAA towards the end of 2005. Rodger and Barry were recently seen jetting off to the UK to talk to Virgin. Who's going to take over their routes for SAA?? SAX?? Big changes on the horizon!!

snotneus
22nd Apr 2005, 19:53
I've heard that also. Will be interesting if link becomes a Virgin feeder.
Now if things don't work out as planned, Roger won't be able to blame SAA.
Also heard that Duke Morosi is returning from SAA as flight ops manager

The Claw
23rd Apr 2005, 17:46
Probably because SA Airlink standards are too high for SAA to keep up.......:} :E :}

jb1007
23rd Apr 2005, 18:16
TooBadSoSad.....

No-No SAX will not be able to take over Airlink's routes as they will soon not have any Engineers left ..... ???

The money is aparently not good at all at SAX Maintenance and they are all looking around.

Nationwide is taking the cream of their crop with lots more to have their Interviews soon.....some even applied at Airlink.

contraxdog
25th Apr 2005, 07:28
I would think Link is dumping SAA by the sounds of it. Would make sence though. Hail Sir Richard the Lion Hart!

BAKELA
25th Apr 2005, 16:57
Maybe the fact that Link recently went with Genesis (from New Zealand I think?) for a management tool instead of (still) waiting for SAA's "whatever" system says a lot too.

Incidentelly, I also reckon this thread's name, especially the "dump" part, is a misnomer.

Surely SAX cannot do (past, present and future) what Link does, but, and it's a huge but, Link is going to need some serious capital investment should they get out of bed with SAA. I cannot see them dumping present domestic routes just because they are not friends with SAA anymore. In terms of BASA's and political issues they might get screwed on their regional routes though. They also have no competition on the majority of domestic routes. From some or other Nationwide related thread on PPrune I am also lead to believe that Virgin is in bed with SAA now. Might be wrong though. So why the Virgin connection? Then there's also the Voyager programme...pax think about this seriously! Need something to replace this I would say.

For me, and I've said it for many years, a BA/Comair/Link tie-up would be a good one...very good I think.

fluffyfan
29th Apr 2005, 20:47
Maybe the fact that Link recently went with Genesis (from New Zealand I think?) for a management tool instead of (still) waiting for SAA's "whatever" system says a lot too.

ummm, that would be Genesis also, had it for at least 5 years to my knowledge

WildFrequency
1st May 2005, 16:31
Sunday Times 1 May 2005

SAA dumps an old partner

01 May 2005

Print friendly Send to a friend

ROGER MAKINGS

SOUTH African Airways (SAA) will end its long-standing relationship with feeder carrier SA Airlink.

The national carrier has served notice on its partner of its intention, which will become effective from November.

Both SAA and SA Airlink were tightlipped over the decision this week despite the fact that staff on both carriers are fully aware of the decision.

SAA said the airline “chose not to comment at this stage”.

Rodger Foster, the chief executive of SA Airlink, said: “I can’t comment.”

SA Airlink will have to take on new livery and seek out partnerships with other carriers once it leaves the alliance it has had with SAA and SA Express for about eight years.

This will now make SA Airlink a competitor rather than a partner on the domestic and regional routes it serves.

The reason for the split, according to sources within SAA, which owns 10% of SA Airlink, is that SAA fears questions from its nemesis, the Competitions Commission, over its “anti-competitive” association with SA Airlink.

SAA has the threat of a R1.6-billion fine hanging over its head for giving override incentives to travel agents.

This has yet to be ruled on by the Competition Tribunal.

On top of this, SAA is also facing possible punitive civil suits from its rivals, BA/Comair and Nationwide, in this regard, not to mention further allegations of price collusion.

An SAA source said this week that under its existing relationship with SA Airlink, it prescribed to the feeder carrier what size aircraft it could fly and which routes it could and could not operate.

“We have identified that this could be a problem and be construed as anti-competitive by the commission.”

The source said that although the two airlines could continue their code-share relationship, or keep selling seats on each others’ flights, SAA would have to end SA Airlink’s use of its reservation and revenue accounting systems.

The same does not apply to the other feeder carrier, SA Express, which is wholly owned by SAA parent Transnet.

SA Airlink, which bought a 25-year franchise from SAA in 2000, is said not to be unhappy about the development.

“This means Airlink will be free to pursue more lucrative relationships with other airlines that are seeking to open up alliances within a burgeoning Southern Africa market,” said one industry observer.

SA Airlink is known to have had preliminary talks with the likes of the European-based SkyTeam alliance — which is headed by Air France — with a view to growing routes between East and Southern African destinations.

SA Airlink owns 19 aircraft and operates 3400 flights to 27 destinations, carrying around 65000 passengers a month.

symbol
2nd May 2005, 08:30
Yep we'll have to wait and find out whats going to happen.

It's been rumored that Link may even pursue a Low-cost carrier type role. Only possible now that the SAA shackles have been broken.

They are already starting up a Link operated Lanseria - Cape Town route on either F28's and or DC9's apparently utilising Airquarius aircraft.

Seems like Rodger's got a plan!

It must be really embarresing for the SAA management, that Link always makes a profit, and SAA have to look to the government to bail them out when they post massive losses.

I've got a funny feeling that Roger is going to kick Airway's butt!

TooBadSoSad
2nd May 2005, 14:28
You have your facts backwards: SAA is actually very operationally profitable. The loss came from hedging policies and a lack of good corporate governance. If the government wants to impose unqualified managers and board members on SAA, then they should bail the airline out when those people screw up. Without government interference, including their detrimental EE policies, SAA would be thriving.
SA Airlink, on the other hand, is hopelessly insolvent. They were forced to acquire aircraft by SAA (ERJ135) that are too small and too expensive for the Southern African environment. They have been sucking hind tit on the lease payments ever since they acquired them. Rodger also gambled on the Yamasoukro Agreement being implemented, and that will never happen while SAA is such a behemoth. Other counties airlines would be eaten up by SAA if that was ever ratified. If you work for Airlink, I suggest that you demand full disclosure on the financial condition of all of the companies associated with your operation, not just those that management chooses for you to see. I fear that Airlink will not survive without SAA. I have many friends there and I would suggest that they all start applying to SAX or One Time. Those are the two airlines that, in my opinion, have the brightest future.
I hear that the Airlink pilot union is also in disarray and members are resigning en masse. Not a good time for a split when faced with the above.

raytheon_aircraft
3rd May 2005, 09:41
SAA is not dumping SA Airlink, SA Airlink is dumping SAA.

theres a difference.

TooBadSoSad
3rd May 2005, 09:50
And exactly why would SA Airlink be dumping SAA?? What would they have to gain by that?

Exhaust Manifold
3rd May 2005, 10:42
Well SAA have been restricting Airlink to certain routes, so now Link are free to fly where they want.

raytheon_aircraft
3rd May 2005, 10:45
i don't know SA Airlinks reason's for dumping SAA. but i know a SA Airlink Captain personally and he said that they dumping them. Not SAA doing the dumping. SA Airlink is turfing SAA out the window.

TooBadSoSad
3rd May 2005, 11:00
That's terrible!! I guess SAA had better close its doors. How will it ever survive without Airlink?? :rolleyes:

symbol
3rd May 2005, 13:10
Hey Toobadsosad,

You've got it just right! Link will close down and Airways will take over the skies of Africa!!

You guys(I presume you fly for Airways!) are going to be in for a serious wake up call! I have recently heard that SAA are negotiating with CAA to validate African pilots' licences - to get 'the numbers' right! Well, if they get that right, then the flood gates will open up to our overborder colleagues and they'll be streaming into your fantastically profitable airline just as fast as your passengers run for cover.

As far as guys leaving Link for the other low-costers is concerned, they'd probably be better off staying with Link to enjoy some of the new-found freedom and probable expansion.

By the way, SAA never forced Link to buy any aircraft, Roger had to get their approval only! I agree with you that they were the wrong tools for the right job, but there's an opinion floating around at the moment that Link is the right place to be right now. I wish I was working for them!

The next few months are definitely going to be interesting.

Exhaust Manifold
3rd May 2005, 14:39
Link's been looking for a way to free itself from SAA for a long time. I guess they just got fed up. Hope they'll prosper now :ok:

TooBadSoSad
3rd May 2005, 15:37
Symbol, you gave the exact reason that SAA would never bring in foreign citizens of a non-pale male complexion (SAA loves this term). The media is a very powerful medium, and there is nothing that scares SAA senior management more than bad publicity. Anyway, they are not interested in foreign black pilots. They are barely interested in anyone that isn't a Xhosa. Take a look and see if you can find a black VP or EVP of the last three years that was anything other than a Xhosa.

BAKELA
3rd May 2005, 18:24
A few thoughts.

From what I heard today, immediate plan for Link is not to go low-cost, although it was said that they operated an F28 on Lanseria-Cape Town for the first time today (no capacity restriction?). Don't know about the F28 as I saw a DC9/MD80/2 on approach into Lanseria at last light tonight.

If you look at the Voyager programme and the flights Link does currently, I do believe that in whatever form Link continues, there may just be a codeshare with SAA of some sorts. Lets not forget that scheduled flying to smaller places is a killer if you don't do the right things.The same does not apply to the other feeder carrier, SA Express, which is wholly owned by SAA parent TransnetNow that's what I call uncompetitive, but then, without Transnet/SAA, SAX would have been dead meat when the Canadians left. It must be really embarresing for the SAA management, that Link always makes a profit You have your facts backwards: SAA is actually very operationally profitable2BSS, this possibly proves why you comment like you do...Symbol is quite correct in talking about "profit" - the bottom line on the balance sheet - not "operational profit". Won't go into it any further as enough has been said about SAA's "opertional profit" before. One question though, where's SAA's bucks then? Is SARS still collecting SAA's profit? :yuk: And exactly why would SA Airlink be dumping SAA?? What would they have to gain by that? To get rid of service delivery that sucks to the "n"th degree?

Exhaust Manifold, Link's been looking for a way to free itself from SAA for a long time. Whoever you are or whoever you know within Link, this was right on the head, BIG TIME. :cool:

2BSS,Anyway, they are not interested in foreign black pilots The SAAF also sang this song until they decided to "import" Mugaboons to instruct (help us!) because some "young instructors" needed operational time at squadron level. They are barely interested in anyone that isn't a Xhosa. Take a look and see if you can find a black VP or EVP of the last three years that was anything other than a Xhosa.Just remember, Sh:mad:t flows down, stick around long enough and, like Symbol said, You guys(I presume you fly for Airways!) are going to be in for a serious wake up call! 2BSS, in fact, your last post makes me wonder why any non-Xhosa (or non-Irishman - :hmm: sexism as well then at SAA) would bother about SAA. Suppose the new pax weighing is also to get into line with average Xhosa (or Irish) weights then? Passenger profiling?:E

fluffyfan
3rd May 2005, 21:31
Symbol......
You guys(I presume you fly for Airways!) are going to be in for a serious wake up call! I have recently heard that SAA are negotiating with CAA to validate African pilots' licences - to get 'the numbers' right! Well, if they get that right, then the flood gates will open up to our overborder colleagues and they'll be streaming into your fantastically profitable airline just as fast as your passengers run for cover.

:D had to laugh at this...............Yes this rumour has been going around for some time now, the last I heard it was Nigerians coming to fly for SAA

Well if that ever happened, then I guess we have another Zimbabwe on our hands, which would delight the likes of the SAA bashers who are now living overseas and would love to see the whole of South Africa go down the toilet so they can feel better about the choices they made as to where to live and work.............one last word, if that did happen, do you think Comair, 1Time, Nationwide, SAX and your beloved Airlink would be immune from that happening to them, not likely mate

The Claw
3rd May 2005, 22:35
fluffyfan

When SAA sinks it would actually be good for the industry as a whole! We would at long last see level playing fields! Accountablity is a good thing and it is something totally foreign within SAA. Good airlines have been killed by SAA and this has cost SA tourism big time.

Your thinking proves what a sheltered life you lead at SAA, afraid of a little competition are you? Afraid that once you have to actually prove your worth you will be found wanting? If another African pilot can do the job, why not? In the real world this is something we all face. Believe me, SAA isn't the bee and all of aviation in SA.

If the industry in SA had level playing fields with the best people doing the job, then may be us "SAA bashers" would still be in SA!:E
Some of us left SA because of the corrupt policies within SAA and it has nothing to do with wishing ill on the industry. SAA is doing that all by itself :(

BAKELA
4th May 2005, 12:56
Fluffyfan, SAA bashers who are now living overseas

I mentioned on another thread here about assumptions. In true SAA fashion, you are assuming again, fluffing and fanning it about on PPrune and in the process showing us just how protected (you think?) you are within SAA. I've never lived outside SA, except during my tenure in the SAAF, and agree fully with Claw that the best thing that could possibly happen to aviation in SA would be the demise of SAA.

TooBadSoSad
4th May 2005, 16:07
There is no need to wish for the demise of any carrier. Rossair left a lot of pilots without jobs and the last thing we need in this industry is more pilots on the street, especially white males who are an endangered species in this country.

If you read Sawubona, SAA's inflight magazine, you will note references to pale male pilots and, in the last issue, Jakes Gerwel, the board chairman, stating that the airline needs more South Africans flying for it when referring to the cadet program. He obviously does not consider white males South Africans.

SAA will never go away as this country is not as democratic as our ANC government would like us to believe. As much as any pilot flying for other carriers runs down SAA, given the chance, most would jump at the chance to fly for SAA. The pay and benefits are good and the equipment and route structure excellent. Just don't throw away the phone numbers of the hosties from your current airline. You may be pretty lonely at SAA if you do.

Also, don't be too quick to run down SAA with your mates. There are some very smart and well connected pilots on the hiring committee and they may just know more about you than you would want them to when the day comes that you are brought in for an interview.

Hopefully the industry can start creating a wider customer base with lower airfares so that all airlines in SA can both survive and prosper.

OK, go for it........................:ouch:

fluffyfan
4th May 2005, 19:54
You know Gents...........we have different points of views, we all have support for our current places of employment, we all love flying and we love the aircraft we fly.

When I have a drink or a braai with my mate, from Nationwide we laugh at eachother and tell funny stories about the respective companies we work for.

The problem with Aviation and its not just in SA its all over the world is that the pilots never stick together, management know this and they knob us every time, the aircrew actually have the power, because without us the planes dont fly, but we are so busy squabbling with eachother we fail to see the big picture.

I was a little shocked to see some of my fellow pilots wishing the demise of an airline like SAA, one of the oldest airlines in the world, I can honestly say that I have never wished the downfall of any airline, because I know what that means, people like me without jobs, having to pay bonds, send kids to school and pay bills.

At least now I know why some of you are not in SAA, from what you tell me its because you cant take the corruption, and you dont want to be part of an Airline that is about to go belly up.....well at least thats cleared up for me, because I was begining to think that your attitudes stunk and the selectors actually did a good job of booting the likes of you out the door so you cant infect us with your pessimism...............buts that not the case is it?

If your intention was to wind me up, then congratulations you succeded and I appologise.

jb1007
5th May 2005, 04:44
"Mr. Bakela from Airlink"

Aren't you are just pissed off with SAA because they dumped you from the Aliance....?

Nice one "Fluffy"

symbol
5th May 2005, 07:16
Guys!

We're not stupid you know! SAA is definitely the best place to be if you're a pilot planning to stay in this country. I'm sure that there is not one guy on the site who would'nt jump at the opportunity to fly for our National carrier - Heck I know I would!! The chances of SAA going down the tubes are about as good as Djibouti starting up a National space program- Not likely!!

The thing about SAA that turns us into pessimists though, is their selection process. Why invite a pale male to an interview if they have absolutely no intention of hiring him? That's just plain nasty!

Seriously now, the frustration of having to go through the SAA selection process only to realise that your chances of actually being hired are extremely slim, can result in a negative attitude. This leads candidates to seek refuge and solace in either running down Spoories, or suddenly becoming fiercely patriotic towards their current employer. This may sound silly I know, but we're only human!

After diligently waiting for start for an hour, and patiently sitting at the holding point, only to see SAA get blasted off from the intersection ahead of everybody, just makes it that much harder to swallow.

TooBadSoSad
5th May 2005, 07:42
Symbol, if you are a white male and you make it to the interview, unless you really screw it up you will be hired. Make sure you are well prepared, the best way being to speak to mates of yours who were interviewed and hired recently and ask them what questions they were asked. The questions do not change much....and KNOW the systems on the aircraft that you currently fly as they WILL ask you something specific to that aircraft type.

The Claw
5th May 2005, 09:03
"At least now I know why some of you are not in SAA, from what you tell me its because you cant take the corruption, and you dont want to be part of an Airline that is about to go belly up.....well at least thats cleared up for me, because I was begining to think that your attitudes stunk and the selectors actually did a good job of booting the likes of you out the door so you cant infect us with your pessimism...............buts that not the case is it?"

fluffyfan

Most are ex-SAA old sport!

When SAA used "dirty tricks" to cause the demise of other good companies, your silence was deafening! Still remember a B737 crew taking great delight at putting a spanner in the works.

Still say the only cure is to rebuild the company from scratch. Still, if you feel the solution to the problem is to bury your head in the sand.........in true SAA, "I'm ok Jack" fashion.........then don't expect us to give a toss either! SAA is the company costing people their jobs, so why don't you do something about it? Oh. I forgot...........

BAKELA
5th May 2005, 11:10
jb1007,

"Mr. Bakela from Airlink"

Aren't you are just pissed off with SAA because they dumped you from the Aliance....?

Once again, wrong. :} I'm not with Link and personally believe the split is the best thing that could have happened to Link.

beechbum
5th May 2005, 17:24
Rumour has it that Roger Foster and Co were sniffing around Comair HQ looking for a deal..........!!!!!!!
Any takers on this one!!!!!:ok: :ok:

snotneus
5th May 2005, 19:12
To be honest, I don't think Comair would be to interested in an alliance with Link. Rodger is also to ambitious. A Comair alliance would place link in almost the same position as with stoories.
2BSS, you are right with one statement in this whole discussion; spoories did drop link, but this does not mean:
1 That link will not survive without
bigbrother,
2 that link is not prepared for this
event,
3 that Rodger did not prehaps stirr
events sufficiently for saa to dump
link,
4 Through the alliance contract
between saa & link, saa owned the
revenue stream. Link could thus not
terminate the contract, even if RAF
wanted. But if saa would cancel...
Then read #3 above.

Roumour has it that RAF had a meeting with Alec Erwin, that went very well. When Maria Ramos got wind of this, the trough her toys, fearing RAF inform Alec of all the ins & outs of whats really happening inside saa.
Yes, I do fly for link, and for the first time in a few years, i'm not posting any cv's. I'll stay here and ride this wave thanx.

beechbum
6th May 2005, 06:59
Snotneus, nice to have a little inside gen on the issue. Are the Jetstreams still going to hang around? , I hear via the via that a new aircraft type is on the agenda. Then again you know what these grape vines are like!!!! I think it's interesting times ahead for Link and looking forward to seeing what happens:D
There was talk that RAF went to see Bae to discuss the RJ 85 or such like....to replace the J41!!! Any comments?:ok:

BAKELA
7th May 2005, 19:20
Snotneus, 2 that link is not prepared for this Link has been prepared for this for years...I know that for sure. 3 that Rodger did not prehaps stirr events sufficiently for saa to dump link, Now why does this not surprise me at all!!:E :E

Snotneus, and for the first time in a few years, i'm not posting any cv's. I'll stay here and ride this wave thanx. That's the way to go! Maybe we also should get an automatic spellchecker on PPrune Mr. Mod. :E Anyway, back to Link...watch this space.

BTW, chaps, note it's RODGER (with a D) Foster and BARRIE (not a Y) Webb. :E

BAKELA
15th May 2005, 18:43
Link can't wait,

Saw a "Casper" (white ghost) J41 flying on Friday and then had it on good authority on the same day that three aircraft already had an all white scheme. Things may just happen before October 31 I wager? :}

Solid Rust Twotter
16th May 2005, 04:48
My CV's in................:ok:

snotneus
20th May 2005, 18:02
There is still no news in the roumour pipeline as to where link (4Z) is going. Waiting to the end of the month to hear from Richard Branson and if we'll becoming Virgin Link (connecting you to more virgin's in more places!) There is talk of the BAe146 RJ85, how realistic that is I don't know, being a 4 engine and all. But there is a deffinite exitement amoungst all staff i've spoken to.

BAKELA, I'm sure you'll correct my spelling. One of the percs of the job, don't need to be able to spell (and i'm not ashamed of it)

jb1007
23rd May 2005, 06:28
I can't see Virgin go with Airlink as they (Virgin) codeshare with SAA?
It could be a nice partnership though but SAA will make sure It does not happen?

:rolleyes:

jbayfan
23rd May 2005, 08:41
Why would Link not continue serving SAA? SAX's contract with SAA expired about a year ago and they are still being used by SAA.

PAXboy
23rd May 2005, 12:03
I thought that VS were still with Nationwide?

jb1007
24th May 2005, 04:18
jbayfan...

SAX and SAA is in the same bed....what contract are you referring to?

Sax is flying the shorter & smaller (less pax per flt) routes for SAA as far as I know.

:bored:

jbayfan
24th May 2005, 06:44
SAX is not owned by SAA. It belongs to Transnet, the same parent company of SAA. In order to originally operate on the SAA code and in SAA colours, both SAX and Airlink had signed contracts with SAA. When SAX's contract came up for renewal about a year ago, SAA chose not to renew it and is continuing with the codeshare on a month to month basis. Airlink had a 25 year contract with SAA which could be cancelled by either party with 6 month's notice. Apparently concerns about an anti-competitive investigation by the Competition Commission caused SAA to give Airlink notice. CAN ANY SAA OR AIRLINK MANAGEMENT READING THIS VERIFY THE ACCURACY OF MY INFO?

skyvan
24th May 2005, 07:25
Don't be silly, SAA management only read what is filtered by their secretaries, so they only get to read Dilbert and Hagar the Horrible!

Besides, even if they responded, how many Ppruners would actually believe them?

ASD
31st May 2005, 21:11
Dont know if this means anything, was hoping someone could share some light...

The Jetstream out of FACT today - the livery did not say South African Airlink but rather Swaziland Airlink.

Very interesting...

PAXboy
31st May 2005, 23:56
I think that you will find that partnership has been around for many moons. Someone will tell us exactly how long. It is the way to get the deal to operate into that country by sharing the operation in some areas.

Deskjocky
1st Jun 2005, 09:08
I think this whole saga is rather sad actually.

The relationship between Airlink and SAA has been mutually beneficial- SAA has manged to maintian a a presence on very thin routes- mainly the coastals, Bulawayo etc and Link have been able to make more money.

Airlink did not initiate this at all- The reason? They have no distributive mechanism to sell their inventory, they have no revenue accounting capabilty, they have no customer database, they dont have handling capabilties in a large number of the airports they serve. In otherwords as things stand now they are only half an airline. Given this why would you dump SAA? Nope, SAA is the initiator of this.

The core issue is the competitions comission- SAA have definitely mismanaged this particular relationship and are now being carefully watched. SAA appointed a chief risk officer recently- you figure the rest out.

The future of Link? I really dont think the deal is dead with SAA, it will definitely have to be rewritten with Link taking more control of issues like pricing on shared routes (HLA CPT) so as not to invoke the ire of the comission. I know that this is an issue of survival for Link and therefore they are making all sorts of moves to cover themselves- emotions are running high at the moment but I still belive their best course of action is to cut a new deal with SAA- who want to do this by the way.

BA/Comair- no chance, franchise fees are too high and you essentially have the same problems regarding growth as you do with SAA, anyway Comair wants to dump the BA brand and focus on the Kalula brand long term- Airlink does fit into this stratergy as they are a hub and spoke feeder- the LLC model only focuses on point to point.

Virgin- maybe, franchise fees again are the issue as well as the fact that all Virgin really brings is a sexy brand- all of the support services you need (see point above on revenue management, check in etc etc)are in the UK and will cost BIG bucks!!! ask Comair about this when they launched their BA franchise.

Go it alone- probabaly the cheapest option and the quickest to impliment but frought with difficulties- the biggest problem is that Airlink doesnt even know who their customers are- they all sit on SAA's Voyager database. Plus you need to go out and buy all manner of IT systems to handle all the functions SAA currently fullfil as well as recruit and train a whole host of staff etc etc.

Cool heads need to rule here, Airlink must press for a new deal with SAA. This is the only way they will remain viable long term- the alternatives reqire a lot of captital and most probably a retink of the fleet- not easy at the moment!

Last point, SAA really gains very little by kicking Airlink out, SAX are not really able to fill the gap in the alliance route network as a large number of Airlink routes are suited to the J41 and not Dash 8's so SAX would also have to go out and buy aircraft- dont think they have the appitite for this at the moment!

Its in both Airlink and SAA's interest to keep the deal alive, what is important here is that the main men at Airlink negociate their way out of this with SAA.

TooBadSoSad
1st Jun 2005, 10:04
Well written Desk Jockey

Deskjocky
1st Jun 2005, 12:39
Thanks, hopefully the situation gets resolved in a way that benefits everybody!

PAXboy
1st Jun 2005, 12:46
DJ, it almost sounds as if you are raising again the idea to merge SAX and Link? From an outsider's point of view, it makes enormous commercial sense.

I understand that the politics of this are one thing and the personalities of the owners (particularly of Link!) is another ...

Deskjocky
1st Jun 2005, 14:35
Paxboy, quite right! I think there would be huge benefits associated with such a devlopment- it would remove a lot of friction within the alliance thats for sure, Airlink and SAX have stepped on each others toes a few times- most recently with SAX going back onto the JNB MQP route. SAA cannot act as a moderator as its then accused of favoritism.

I really dont see this happening- you hit it on the head, why would certian individuals negociate themselves out of a job?? Perhaps their shareholders should take notice and move to protect their investment?

Now here is a question, if this merger were to occur which jet fleet would you keep- the CRJ's or the ERJ's? (perhaps utilizing the options Airlink has for the larger ERJ jets?) I have deliberatey left the turbo props out of the mix becuase both airlines aircraft are ideal for the routes they are used on and are thus worth keeping.

jbayfan
1st Jun 2005, 15:19
There is no chance of a merger between SAX and Link unless Link buys SAX from Transnet. With R400 million in liabilities, why would anyone want to buy SAX?? Glad I'm not the one having to decide what to do with either airline!!