PDA

View Full Version : Invasion of Icelandic aeroplanes

Caledonian
22nd Apr 2005, 18:01
Hi,

What is going on, is the TF- banner a flag of convenience or something, more and more we are seeing in the UK airlines doing UK flights with Icelandic registrations.

Examples are

TF-JXB MD82 every airline under the sun is using this just now, including AEU today.

Channex operate TF- aircraft
as does Excel.
as does Air Atlanta Europe (okay not a UK airline but does UK flights).
Astreaus using an Icelandair 757 today.
BMI apply to lease 1 or 2 Icelandair 757's.

Do the CAA have any durisdiction on these aircraft??

Also does anyone ever notice that G- registered aeroplanes are hardly ever to be found operating in other countries for non UK airlines, okay sometimes in Canada but seldom do you see it anywhere else but here we have TF- , Antonov's popping in and out all the time, portuguese sheds, swedish saabs, is it just a case of supply and demand or are these airlines mega cheap to lease.

Just seems 10 years ago you rarely saw it yet now its overrun with foreign planes.

Excuse all of the above if its just gibberish but would like some help on the topic.

Keyvon
22nd Apr 2005, 18:26
TF-JXB belongs to an Italian charter airline based in Bologna/Forlė named Jetx.
Jetx had previously operated charter flights from/to Italy under its own brand. Now Jetx simply leases its aircrafts around Europe Jetx frequently leases its two aircrafts (TF-JXA/B) to many UK low-cost and charter carriers, supplying their requests.

GrahamK
22nd Apr 2005, 18:39
Blame the EU if you want

Daysleeper
22nd Apr 2005, 19:05
Advantage of a permissive regulatory environment.

CaptAirProx
22nd Apr 2005, 19:56
Caledonian,

I think you will find ten years ago the UK was full of Swedish and Norwegian registered aircraft doing exactly this.

All using second hand equipment.

Keyvon,

Isn't the Jetx owned and operated by the Icelandic firm (can't remember the name) on long term lease to Jetx and since been farmed out to other carriers. Certainly the crew are Icelandic. Can you have an Italian owned aircraft in a foreign reg?

jetstream7
22nd Apr 2005, 20:18
Hi Caledonian

Thought I'd put some detail around what you have written...

TF-JXB MD82 every airline under the sun is using this just now, including AEU today.
Believe UK airline Flightline has some sort of link to this aircraft now?

Channex operate TF- aircraft
as does Excel.
That's right... and quite a few of them too

As does Air Atlanta Europe (okay not a UK airline but does UK flights).
Is a UK airline actually...

Astreaus using an Icelandair 757 today.
AEU I believe have some equipment shortages currently... had plans for a New Zealand 737 and Egyptian A319 leases this summer, but not now going ahead.

BMI apply to lease 1 or 2 Icelandair 757's.
True, and not thought to be an improvement in the service currently provided

Do the CAA have any durisdiction on these aircraft??
All leases have to go via the CAA and, and any a/c operating through the UK has some element of CAA control

Also does anyone ever notice that G- registered aeroplanes are hardly ever to be found operating in other countries for non UK airlines, okay sometimes in Canada but seldom do you see it anywhere else
Not quite... Astraeus have been flying on behalf of Iceland Express for a couple of years, and have been flying for Air Asia this winter
Britannia often operate for Garuda for Hajj
Excel have been operating in USA as have Thomas Cook
European Air Charter are operating for Corsair in France

Caledonian
22nd Apr 2005, 20:21
Jetstream7,

Thanks for the response and to others, anymore?!

Regards
Cale

Richard Taylor
22nd Apr 2005, 21:47
Here at ABZ,new operator Citystar use Do328 TF-CSA.

mmeteesside
23rd Apr 2005, 07:35
Astraeus are getting the New Zealand B733, just it's going to be registered as G-STRJ rather than under it's ZK- reg

Flying Fiona
23rd Apr 2005, 08:45
Flybe have an Icelandic 757 operating for them at the moment out of Exeter.

10 DME ARC
23rd Apr 2005, 08:58
Capt Airprox
In Italy a/c that are leased cannot be put on the Italian register, only Italian owned a/c can have an Italian reg!
:)

WATABENCH
23rd Apr 2005, 09:00
ISLANDSFLUG - Just cant get enough of them, we want more!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :}

crewboi83
23rd Apr 2005, 13:37
10 DME... u have just cleared something up for me that had been bugging me for ages. I always wondered why Alitalia and a few other Italian airlines have EI reg a/c! lol thanks

Meeb
23rd Apr 2005, 15:03
Blame the EU if you want

Iceland is not part of the EU, although ahe does have some connections.

If you ever fancy having a wee fright, check out the licenses these Icelandic types have... weird countries... and not a JAA licence in sight... (well nearly not)

The CAA have to approve all TF leases, and they are about as effective as a chocolate teepot... :mad:

Atcham Tower
23rd Apr 2005, 15:58
Flew back from Budapest to MAN last week with Jet2 on an Icelandic-registered 737; TF-ELX, I think. Nothing dropped off that I noticed ...

Jamesair
23rd Apr 2005, 16:46
The EI- registered aircraft come from an Irish registered Leasing company.

BeforeStart
30th Apr 2005, 12:41
I think that you will find that all Islandsflug pilots have JAR licenses, but I´m not sure of the statistics in Air Atlanta Icelandic who recently bought Islandsflug.