PDA

View Full Version : Funchal Query

interestedparty
22nd Apr 2005, 13:58
I noticed that a GB Airways flight was arriving back at LGW from Funchal late at night the other day, so late that it would have required an after-dark take-off assuming the usual flight time.
I recall, perhaps mistakenly, that UK registered aircraft were forbidden to operate in and out of this airport after dark.
Has this been changed, and what are the restrictions, if any?

Lil' Pilot
22nd Apr 2005, 14:22
Why would it be forbidden to take off in the dark?

interestedparty
22nd Apr 2005, 15:02
My presumption, do please correct me if I am wrong, is that the aircraft might, in certain circumstances, need to return immediately to the airfield from which it had taken off. I agree that Porto Santo is nearby, and is I understand, a less demanding airfield into which to operate.

retard-retard
23rd Apr 2005, 00:00
Well, although Funchal is a Captain only landing by law, if there were to be a problem regardless of day there is an airport to divert to, bearing in mind that the aircraft would most probably be too heavy to return to Funchal and execute an 'over weight landing'

The divert would most definately be executed to an airport in the region that would receive GB flights, possibly a facility in Portugal?

I do believe that the restrictions on diverting to Portuguese/Spanish airports has been lifted in a recent agreement?

Mark.

javelin
23rd Apr 2005, 10:39
Night operations are permitted as part of the Cat C rating for the airport. We do our sim rides on day, dusk, then a night takeoff, engine failure before we are allowed in.

interestedparty
23rd Apr 2005, 10:42
Thanks for the helpful responses.
JB