PDA

View Full Version : Channel 4 programme Sunday 24th April - Cold war weapons.

PPRuNe Pop
22nd Apr 2005, 10:11
The programme is scheduled for 1730 on Sunday and lasts for 2hrs 5mins. It relates to the perceived threat to the UK, and the requirement for a V-Force and ICBM's that the cold war would bring after WW2.

Might be interesting.

PPP

treadigraph
25th Apr 2005, 21:12
Haven't managed to see it yet - not having kids has rendered managing to coordinate new video with old TV well-nigh improbable - I can cope with computers though...

Hopefully matey in Worthing (he of the 1/48th scale Vulcan model as seen on BEagle's Vulcan thread on Military a/c) manged to get it... I do hope so, sounds like a good bit of viewing.

Opssys
26th Apr 2005, 11:17
First a thank you to PPRuNE Pop for bringing the programme to my attention.
Second after having watched it (actually 'glued to it' would be a better term), about an hour later went into Grumpy Old Man mode along the lines of why did'nt they include this, hmm could have been more on that, then realised that in fact it was a very good programme which had to fit a timeslot

If they had attempted to cover everything I was inwardly whinging about then a series of at least six programmes of 1 hour each would be needed.

Well done Channel 4!
DIH

Paterbrat
26th Apr 2005, 15:37
Immensely enjoyed it. Hats off to recce Can pilot, who subsequently fathered successfully.:ok:

Eric Mc
26th Apr 2005, 23:25
Yes - not a bad prog' at all. C4 can still deliver wothwhile TV when it bopthers to make the effort.

Blacksheep
27th Apr 2005, 08:10
Cold War weapons eh? I see here on page 10 of my fresh copy of "Flight International" that the MoD are desperately trying to secure a replacement for that grand old Cold War Warrior the English Electric Canberra.

They want a "long range, long endurance air vehicle" - that's the Canberra all right. So far, its endurance has been more than half the entire history of heavier than air aviation. :ok:

Smoketoomuch
30th Apr 2005, 14:15
Sort of related...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4490253.stm
Last launch for UK skylark rocket

A hugely successful and largely unsung British space programme is about to draw to a close with the final launch of a Skylark sounding rocket.

The vehicle, which first flew in 1957, became a very inexpensive but effective way of carrying scientific experiments into suborbital space.