PDA

View Full Version : London Ashford Airport

nasib
20th Apr 2005, 10:53
Did a search and found nothing (that may be due to my incompetence of course).

Despite the grand name what is going on at Lydd Airport? They are advertising for 727 pilots for overseas positions!? ( see Flight International)

Nasib

LTNman
20th Apr 2005, 12:48
http://www.lydd-airport.co.uk/

ORAC
20th Apr 2005, 12:59
727-100 pilots, but a 727-200 Chief of Maintenance. (http://www.flightinternational.com/FJLANDING_5738.htm) Also after VIP flight attendants (http://www.flightinternational.com/FJLANDING_5739.htm).

TheOddOne
20th Apr 2005, 14:06
Very ambitious. Good Luck. Never been to Lydd; it's the sort of place I've gone over on the way to somewhere else. Might make a trip in the summer out of curiousity, provided they don't put the landing fees up for little aeroplanes too much (by too much I mean more than a fiver)

Cheers,

The Odd One

Golf Charlie Charlie
20th Apr 2005, 16:38
OddOne

When I used to fly light singles, Lydd was one of the more difficult airports to spot approaching via VFR. The runway pavement surface had a similar colour and texture to the surrounding terrain. Maybe it's different now.

In days gone by, when you had to clear customs, Lydd was a common stopping off point. Not a bad field, but I am sure even 10 years ago the fee was much more than a fiver !

Sharjah Night Shift
20th Apr 2005, 18:11
They now have a nice black tarmac runway and a new apron big enough to park a pair of A380s. A new terminal building to replace the 1950s brese block one before it falls down is also on the cards.

On a spotting trip over 10 years ago I have seen a 727 100 parked there.

Right Way Up
20th Apr 2005, 18:25
G-CC,
That is so true about their camouflaged runway.
I believe the 727 used to belong to Paul McCartney, although i'm not definite.

nasib
20th Apr 2005, 19:57
Still doesn't make sense to me. Why is the AIRPORT advertising for flight crew? How much runway does a fully laden 727 operated on a public transport CofA require? Anyway since the postions are advertised "tax free" they are certainly not based in the UK (probably in the Gulf). None of my business really, was just intrigued. I did my PPL at Lydd far too long ago, which atttracted my attention to the advert.

Thanks for the replies anyway.

Nasib

NorthSouth
24th Apr 2005, 14:14
nasib:Why is the AIRPORT advertising for flight crew?Because the owner also owns an airline in the Middle East. The 727s won't be coming to Lydd - unless you know of a way to fly a 727 VFR through the airspace in SE England.
NS

Spitoon
25th Apr 2005, 07:37
unless you know of a way to fly a 727 VFR through the airspace in SE EnglandWhat's the problem? EU jet are doing it with Fokkers out of Manston.

Doesn't seem much different to me!

smallpilot
26th Apr 2005, 09:20
I believe its a big Arab investor who is ploughing the money into Lydd, why I dont know? Maybe he has the 727 too?
Yes the newly re-surfaced runway is dead easy to find and there's ILS too I believe. Nice place but a bit quiet. If you fly-in tell them youre a training flight when you pay the landing fee and you get 25% off. I think I pay about £12-£15 in a PA-28, AA-5 etc . Oh, yeh and the girls on the desk are quite nice too! ;)