PDA

View Full Version : Any MD-11 drivers out there?

Mr. Green
20th Apr 2005, 08:29
I will be starting the initial course in about two months time and I have started hitting the manuals to try to get myself in the loop before the actual start date.

Just wondering if you guys have a systematic way of studying this big bird? So far I got all the manuals and the Avsoft systems review + posters to aid the studying.

Any advice appreciated!!!!

Fly Safe,

Mr. Green

sgt_pepper
20th Apr 2005, 19:22
hi Mr. Green
I’ve been flying MD-11 after several years flying Boeing airplanes (and also the DC-10). Boeing has really user-friendly manuals and in my opinion MDC airplanes (well the tri-jets at least) have flight crew operating manuals full of details and usually very confuse.
I’ve already bought Avsoft softwares, some books about the MD-11 and got a Honeywell MD-11 cockpit pilot’s guide but based on my own experience as a trainee and later as airplane instructor I could discover how the trainees can be in trouble if they try to understand the airplane reading the Operations Manual prior to fly the airplane or before starting their simulator training. It’s obviously my opinion but has worked very well, some examples:
- Pay attention during your CBT classes. The CBT training is a very good preparation for simulator and initial line training. Read only some parts of the system manuals, usually in case of doubts during CBT classes. For simulator a good understanding of normal operations procedures and some parts of supplemental normal procedures are more important than describing why the tail fuel management will be terminated reading the Fuel Chapter.
- You will understand step-by-step some very important details about airplane operation during simulator training and later on line training, e.g.: The MD-11 FMS has some different way to use it. If you try to learn how to use all its function reading the FMS chapter you will give up on the first page.
- Prepare your simulator session in advance. Read all items for your training, checking the abnormal/emergency procedures on the QRH and check the takeoff/approach/landing profiles in the Procedures and Techniques chapter. You will discover very soon that MD-11 has some long abnormal/emergency procedures and they will take a lot of time and good crew coordination is very recommended, e.g.: If your previous airplane was the 737, keep in your mind that now you will fly also a two-pilot airplane but you don’t need to make everything faster specially when you realize that PNF duties on abnormal or emergency situations will require a careful coordination. MD-11 emergency procedures and preparation are frequently longer than on 737.
- Take notes about your doubts and ask to your instructors.
- During line training give more attention to the airplane operating procedures, e.g.: After reading the Fuel System chapter for more than a hundred times you will realize that you haven’t understood it yet. However, on the Supplemental Normal Procedures you can find some very important things about the airplane system, from what to do in case of tail fuel forward to how to make a side step maneuver from ILS approaches.
But, in short, MD-11 is very good airplane and I love to fly her.
Good luck

Mr. Green
21st Apr 2005, 01:53
Thank you Sgt_Pepper for your advice. Please check your PMs!