PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening at Perth?

Circuit Basher
19th Apr 2005, 09:53
Had a letter over the weekend (redirected from my old Scottish address, so it may have been a bit older) regarding what seems like a bust up between Tayside Aviation and Scottish Aero Club.

I know Sandy Torrance (ex CFI) left Tayside a while ago, but seems like Tayside is now pulling out of Perth (suppose this was predictable, given reducing number / value of Flying Scholarships and the fact that Tayside got ride of some of their training fleet over the last couple of years). Pity, because IIUC, this now just leaves Tayflite, who are primarily aimed at the CPL route - not sure what happens about the microlight fraternity there.

Are you lurking in the background somewhere, Floppy Link??

Floppy Link
19th Apr 2005, 11:19
I am indeed!

Was that the letter from Tayside or from the SAeC?
I haven't had one from Tayside yet but the text from the Scottish Aero Club newsletter "Planet Alking" can be found at:

April Newsletter (http://www.scottishaeroclub.org.uk/sac/documents/SAC_Apr05.pdf)

It will be interesting to see how Tayflite will run the PPL side, as you say they are geared towards commercial training.

Us mere mortals who are not in the top of the commitee (sp?) have been presented with a fait accompli - the first we heard was when the decision was announced.

Circuit Basher
19th Apr 2005, 11:49
Thanks for that - as I'm no longer resident in Scotland, I didn't rejoin SAC, so my first inkilng of what was going on was a letter from Lovat Fraser Airlines (sorry, Tayside Aviation!) - assume they wrote to me as when I first arrived in Scotland, I rented a PA28 a few times out of Fife International.

BTW, congratulations on the renewal for the ATPL(H) - sounds like the engines on these Twin Squirrels are pretty unreliable and I maybe shouldn't consider going on one if offered (I have in the past been a routine traveller on an AS365 out of Plockton and may require to go to the same destination again before too long, although not out of Plockton this time!). ;)

What are you asking for the mini P47 (in case I decide to develop tail dragger skills!)??!

Cactus99
21st Apr 2005, 19:00
stewartflyer,

Im affraid its not looking good for Tayflite either, they have just lost two of their most experienced Instructors.

I think they will be struggling to keep together their IR courses, letalone any PPL new starts.

Things are looking bleak, it has to be said!! :sad:

C99

silverknapper
22nd Apr 2005, 08:57
From memory Tayflite were a lot cheaper for the 152 than Tayside.

grow45
22nd Apr 2005, 12:50
I was tempted to make a comment about this being an ideal opportunity for Flight Academy Scotland but I wont!

g45

sk8erboi
22nd Apr 2005, 14:17
It doesn't involve stepping on toes or agravating people so they won't be interested.