PDA

View Full Version : ATC medical - eyesight

doozer
17th Apr 2005, 14:22
I've just been through the selection day tests to be an ATCO and I'm a little concerned about the eyesight part of my medical (I'm being optimistic about getting to that stage). Although I don't wear glasses / contacts (numerous optomitrists tell me I don't need to) my vision is concentrated in my right eye as my left is very long-sighted. I have been conditioned since a young age to see through just my right eye which hasn't caused me any issues so far as I can drive and as I said I don't need to wear to glasses but I'm worried it's going to affect my application.

Advice please as I would be gutted to get through only to have the medical bod tell me that I can't get any further due to this.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Apr 2005, 16:22
I think you ought to phone the Medics at Gatwick and have a chat - they're very helpful and I'm sure one of the doctors would advise you.

It does sound a little unusual but there are plenty of ATCOs wearing glasses and if your vision can be corrected to within limits there's probably hope..

Good luck..

catcslave
18th Apr 2005, 09:44
Hi doozer,
your eyesight sounds pretty much the same as mine, altough reversed - i.e my left eye is fine but right one not so great. I passed the medical on the condition that I wear corrective lenses whenever 'exercising the privelidges of my licence'. Having said that, every case is different, so do what the director said and call the doc's at gatwick.
Hope this helps- good luck with the application!

Roger That
18th Apr 2005, 18:26
Doozer,

The Medical Requirements for ATCOs (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=49&pagetype=90&pageid=529) give more general advice on what's needed with the Eyesight (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/SRG_MED_JAR_C1_Initial_Visual_Stds.pdf) requirements being more informative.

Hope this helps but as mentioned by others, contact SRG directly for more informed opinion about your chances.

RT:ok: