PDA

View Full Version : Airlines in europe

Aussie
17th Apr 2005, 12:46
Gday all,

Im looking at going over to europe to start my flying career as its a tough battle in Aus.
Im just after some info in regards to the airlines/ turbo prop operators in Euro.
I have dual citizenship (Aussie/polish) so as far as i know, i should be able to work in the EU.
What kind of hrs does one realistically need to be looked at with Turbo prop operators, and airlines?
If I have a CPL/ FATPL and only 300hrs or so, am i wasting my time?
What does the scene look like in Euro? Are they short on pilots?

Any info appreciated,

Thank you

Aussie

popay
17th Apr 2005, 13:25
Try wizz air www.wizzair.com they have base in Katowice, i believe. In Europe is everything even worse.
Cheers.

Piltdown Man
17th Apr 2005, 18:28
Europe is nothing like "Down-Under", there are jobs and people are getting them - but things are tight for the aspiring pilot. Given the right intro (it's in the right place at the right time), just a valid licence (preferably JAA) required which is issued at 230 hours or so. All the rubbish about having to have thousands of hours just to fly a jet doesn't apply in this neck of the woods (coz they really are simple!). However, most punters pitch up with a thousand or so. But what really counts is who will your resume/CV get read? For the UK, look at ppjn.com

Aussie
18th Apr 2005, 08:16
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah i have heard thjat its not like down under where you need thousands of hrs.
So I was thinking of taking advantage of my dual citizenship.

Anyone know how hard it is to convert to a JAA from an aussie ICAO license?

Thanks again.

Piltdown Man
18th Apr 2005, 09:17
Here's what I did. Select the country you want your JAA licence issued by (in my case, the UK). Then apply for the paperwork for the licence conversion. If you have "heavy time" (>5,700 kgs) and Multi-crew time, then the passage will be easy. If not you might find the dispensation granted rather minimal - so standby for a shock!. Is was given "Morse Code" as I had a CIR from Oz. And that was all! You will also find that there is no standard JAA licence, but you will have a licence that allows you to work.