PDA

View Full Version : Biker Pilots??

AlfaCharlie
17th Apr 2005, 02:46
I've noticed a lot of the other pilots I know own motorcycles. I'm curious as to how many other pilots ride. Anyone??

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Apr 2005, 09:06
There are some in the office I work in.

I used to ride a bike but basically just got too frightened by the number of people who pull out in font of you - "sorry, I didn't see you" - even when you're driving down the middle of the lane with headlight on.

Plus I had this girlfriend once who was a speech therapist in rehab, and she said that she never really succeeded in teaching the brain damaged bikers to talk again after their accidents, and this was a bit off-putting.

So I got rid of the bike.

Paris Dakar
17th Apr 2005, 11:09
AlfaCharlie,

I am!

I've an XT600E (Yamaha) and it's great as an every-day commuting bike but def not a motorway cruiser.

PD

Small Rodent Driver
17th Apr 2005, 11:55
Kawasaki ZX9-R

Been all over Europe on it. Poland on same machine next month.

Go on. Tell me I'm a masochist!

Come on Shaggy. We know you have a similar vice also.

NigelsFriend
17th Apr 2005, 12:26
Not a pilot but female cabin crew on Kawa ZX-6 GI...love it but cant suitcase in to commute :O !

MikeeB
17th Apr 2005, 14:42
Gixer 750.

Done two days around Catalunya on it. Don't ride it as often as I should, but it's not very good for much other than going fast.

cagivawally
17th Apr 2005, 15:29
BMW R1200GS

Off to Mugello in a few weeks time for the Moto GP

IsItABird
17th Apr 2005, 15:34
CB600

Not been anywhere special, just commute 15 miles every day to work on it!

Shaggy Sheep Driver
17th Apr 2005, 18:11
Yep, I got BMW 1150 GS. It's just for fun, and only been local on that so far. Had a Honda Blackbird prior to that, and did west coast of Scotland on that.

I'd love to do some real touring on the GS. Anyone going anywhere interesting this summer and wouldn'tmind me tagging along? Always fancied getting the overnight ferry to Santander and heading off from there.....

SSD

ShyTorque
17th Apr 2005, 19:46
Sore point - wife's started giving me grief because there are four bikes in the garage. So what's wrong with four? :rolleyes:

down&out
17th Apr 2005, 20:46
Kawa ZX-10

But soon up for sale if anyone is interested ;) as I haven't been using it enough. I did, many years ago, go round France on a GPZ900:O

matspart3
17th Apr 2005, 21:49
Sold my Moto Guzzi to pay for the PPL in 1996.

I'll get back on two wheels at some future point, but for some bizarre reason, ever since I took to the air, I never seem to have any spare money any more?:D

A and C
17th Apr 2005, 21:59
Triumph Daytona but don't ride it enough like Nigles Friend I cant take the case to work on the bike.

nigelisom
17th Apr 2005, 22:37
Yes Honda Blackbird which gets the wife and I all round Europe on a fairly regular basis.
Always had bikes, only recently learnt to fly and in many ways flying is like 3 dimensional motorcycling, a strange combination of great freedom of movement and lots of restrictions.
Still I love them both and hope I never get so old that the restrictions overcome the pleasure of the freedoms.

Circuit Basher
18th Apr 2005, 10:14
Until around 4 years ago, used to have a CBX550 which sat in the garage as my stress relief in the summer! :D Got sold when we moved to Scotland, due to the complex logistics of getting it MOTd and transported whilst I was working in Scotland and the bike was in Dorset!

Was never particularly happy with the handling on the CBX, so wasn't a great loss to get rid of it - was much more fun on the 400/4 I used to have until 81! Absolute classic bike - loved it!

Am currently very tempted by a W Reg BMW RT850 which is for sale at £3100 - never had / ridden a BMW before and would be keen to hear views.... oh I'm a PPL as well, just to make this an aviation thread!! ;)

Juliet Papa
18th Apr 2005, 13:34
Yes, mee too. Biker before flying - about 14 years now. Curently ride a Bandit 1200 (my second) and have had all flavours of BMW GS (100, 1100, 1150) a trio of Honda VFR750's and a few odds and ends.

Don't tend to ride so much now though - often the car is more appealing, especially when flying (drive to the airport is about 45 mins) as I don't have to change out of leathers, find somewhere to store them etc. etc.

Haver thought about hanging the helmet up for good but can't bring myself to yet!!

I'll have to if I ever take the plunge and buy an RV to build though:uhoh:

JP

DBChopper
18th Apr 2005, 23:11
Two gathering dust in my garage...

A Triumph Sprint Sport 900 and a Yamaha XTZ750 Super Tenere. Really should get out on them when the sun comes out...

:rolleyes:

Julian
19th Apr 2005, 11:36
Ducati 900SS, want an MV Augusta but cant justify it :{

Rans Flyer
19th Apr 2005, 12:41
I was until I started Flying.

Wife says I can't have a Rans and a bike (only allowed one toy) :{
So my RedBull Ducati 916 is up for sale.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/flightforlife/Bikes.htm

£4995ono

Les.

Circuit Basher
19th Apr 2005, 12:54
Rans Flyer - YOU BA$T@RD!!! :D:D
Nice bike (shame about the 3 mins of .wav file which my works laptop blocks, so the piccy is frozen until the inaudible sound plays) - had a look at the remaining piccies (nice kids - as the father of an 11 month old son, I can sympathize with what you're going through!) - then looked at the Interests page.

I'm afraid that I can't wait for 4,381 years for theinternet.zip to download as I'm expected home for dinner!! ;)

cheesyget
20th Apr 2005, 14:35
Gave up a job at a busy bike dealership 3 years ago to get my Atpl. Used to change my bike every couple of months:D . Still no job:( so it's been a classic CB900 for the past 18 months. Mind you, at least insurance is cheap.

redsnail
20th Apr 2005, 16:29
Ducati 400SS.

Rare. :D

Pic posted Bizjet/GA/AG forum (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171266)

SKYYACHT
21st Apr 2005, 04:52
Triumph T100 Bonneville and Suzuki GS550EZ (Rebuilt)......Commute to work whenever the sun is out and I have all the 9s......I dont do wet. My bike isnt IFR certificated. I just about have room in the garage for a small fold wing aeroplane........

:D

999 Pilot
21st Apr 2005, 18:50
Riding a '02 Ducati 998S mono at the moment...to be replaced in two weeks by a new 999S mono.

Small Rodent Driver
21st Apr 2005, 19:53
Just chopped in Zx9-R for a Triumph Tiger 955i. Trip to Poland next month so have shown some mercy to the knees! Guess it's an age thing! Heated grips sort of swayed the decision too.

Once the wife's got bored of being on the back now that the kids have flown the coup, reckon I'll be into a ZX12-R next summer.

BigEndBob
24th Apr 2005, 11:41
Don't laugh...Honda C-50 did me proud for a couple of years in the seventies when learnig to fly, my airport hack.
Yam Rs125, Honda 250 Super Dream whilst doing imc, multi etc. in early eighties.

Born agian biker in 1999, still in flying but still only afford old bike, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900. probably more scary than any flying i have ever done!

RotorHorn
26th Apr 2005, 12:54
sold my Honda F6C (Valkyrie) - a goldwing without all the boxes and enough chrome to melt your face if the sun shone on it a few years back to finance my ppl(h). Well part finance it!
Old soul on a BSA gave me good advice once though - always keep at least one bike in the garage - even if its rusty and doesn't run, then when you buy a new one, you're only upgrading.... :ok:

I've currently got an RF900 rusting nicely.... (much to Mrs. RH's disdain...) ;)

RH