PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Compton Abbas!

AerBabe
16th Apr 2005, 18:06
Genghis t E and I planned to fly to Compton Abbas today. We even got as far as the end of the runway. Then realised that a small technical hitch was getting rapidly rather large, and the best course of action was to retire gracefully for tea and medals.

Unfortunately, there were no tea bags.

Doubly unfortunately, my parents were meeting us at Compton Abbas for lunch, had already left home and have no mobile. A quick call to the airfield to explain our predicament and they couldn't have been more helpful. A call over the PA identified The AerSeniors and they were handed the phone so we could make alternative arrangements.

Thank you for your help!!

Monocock
16th Apr 2005, 18:38
That would have been the VERY pretty Becky who helped out I reckon.

My frequency of attendence at CA is certainly enhanced by the knowledge that she might be there....:rolleyes:

AerBabe
16th Apr 2005, 19:00
I think she said her name was Carol. :confused:

shortstripper
16th Apr 2005, 19:36
Mono .... Too many girls in too many ports eh? :E

SS

Monocock
16th Apr 2005, 20:17
shortstripper

Have you met her?

The ports can close for her!

She's lovely:\

M

Mike Cross
16th Apr 2005, 20:50
The gremlins were clearly lying in wait for those of us intending to go there today.

Arrived at Popham, thought - tailwheel needs some air. Get the little portable compressor out of the car - compressor fails to do the trick. Never mind. borrow Alan's footpump. That fails too. Realisation gradually dawns in what passes for my brain that there is nothing wrong with compressor or pump. There's just a hole in the tube.

Wheel off and up to Doug's to wrestle its two halves apart, fit new tube, refit wheel to a/c, then off to Compton Abbas.

Good job really, otherwise there would have been no-one to eat your tea and flapjacks and they would have gone to waste.

Jolly nice they were too.

Mike:ok:

AerBabe
16th Apr 2005, 20:57
Ah well, at least one of us made it! :)

Monocock
16th Apr 2005, 21:09
Hi Mike

What time were you at Popham?

I was there with my 5 year old son at 10.30 for a breakfast until he decided we had to get airborne again and we were off at 11.00

I'm around tomorrow morning for a bit. Might even go to Compton for a flapjack!

J

Rallye Driver
16th Apr 2005, 21:24
I found them very helpful in a previous emergency in the old Rallye 880 we used to have many years ago, when the port fuel tank bung decided to spring a leak over the Fovant WW1 badges about 10 miles to the east and suck out Avgas all over the wing.

I had visions of the cover plate disappearing into some farmer's field. But fortunately it hung on - just! Luckily I spent my younger days there on a farm at Sutton Mandeville and so knew the area very well.

Returned to CA for more fuel and some gaffer tape before proceeding on my way after suitable refreshment.

I remember this special box you had to have for refuelling.

RD :ok:

Mike Cross
16th Apr 2005, 21:27
Mono

Robin booked the a/c to go to the IOW this morning so I toddled up there at 12:30 only to find he'd changed his mind.

We are giving it a wash tomorrow from 10:00 if you fancy popping over to give us a hand?:p

Mike

Monocock
16th Apr 2005, 21:29
I shall come and watch!:D

I might even bring Becky.....:E

Genghis the Engineer
16th Apr 2005, 23:12
Looks like you missed me as well Mono, I was at Popham from about 9-11:20 either flying or in the clubhouse.

G

The Nr Fairy
17th Apr 2005, 06:43
I popped in to CA for fuel on the way to and back from W-S-M a few Saturdays ago.

Apart from the fuel hose being too short, which meant I had to get a pretty heavy R-44 closer than I wanted to lots of f-w (not them the problem, my downwash) it all worked a treat - and saved the £50 landing fee and £10 handling fee before I even paid for fuel at Bristol, which was plan A.

Monocock
17th Apr 2005, 07:36
There was someone doing tidy circuits in an orange and white C152. Was that you G?

Otherwise it seemed remarkably quiet...

AerBabe
17th Apr 2005, 07:44
Remarkably quiet at Popham yesterday? I stopped off around 11 am to try and find Genghis, before continuing to our strip down the road, and it seemed the whole of Popham Air Force was around. Someone who came into our strip later commented he'd had to wait 20 minutes for departure.

Monocock
17th Apr 2005, 07:49
Well I THINK is was\Popham I landed at!

However, knowing my navigation it could have been anywhere in the southern hemisphere:ooh:

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2005, 13:56
There was someone doing tidy circuits in an orange and white C152. Was that you G?
Nope, not sure who that was. I was doing an annual checkflight on a little red Thruster.

G

pilotwolf
17th Apr 2005, 16:16
Any pictures of Becky - need to decide if its worth a diversion?

PW

trevelyan
17th Apr 2005, 19:13
Ive got a tailwheel at Compton and agree its a great pace to visit. I also have a picture of Becky - maybe I should put it on e-bay...

I flew into Earls Colne, parked up next to Carolyn Grace`s gorgeous 2 seat Spit.

Happy days.

Barcli
18th Apr 2005, 05:40
pictures of my girl on Pprune / Ebay ? steady on guys.......

trevelyan
18th Apr 2005, 07:57
aah was only kidding JP.

:)

stiknruda
18th Apr 2005, 08:02
Barcli,

If Becca is your wee girl then she is a real credit to you - I thought that she was v unlucky NOT to rx the Diana Britten scholarship at Peterborough. She should enter again.

Stik

Barcli
18th Apr 2005, 11:07
trevelyan - aah so was I !!
see ya soon

shortstripper
18th Apr 2005, 13:05
Ok .... Nothing for it; I'm off to Compton tomorrow to see for myself :E

SS

BRL
18th Apr 2005, 13:10
Shorty, room for one more at all?????????

shortstripper
18th Apr 2005, 16:56
Errr .. is that addressed to me BRL? :hmm: lol

Ever heard ... three's a crowd? :=

Seriously though ... I am going to Compton tomorrow. I'm doing my biennial revalidation and what better than to drop in to Compton for some cgrub and a peek at a bent PA28? :ooh:

Going in the morning if anyone's about (probably not being mid-week :suspect: ) ETA around 10:30-11:30am

SS

shortstripper
19th Apr 2005, 18:28
Flew in today ... crapy landing with crosswind, but it always is with an instructor aboard :\

Dunno which one was Becky, but all the girls were very nice :)

SS

hingey
19th Apr 2005, 20:08
Of all 5 aerodromes I've been to since I started my PPL, Compton Abbas is my favourite. First time I went there me and my instructor got lost trying to find it, second time I went solo and had a lovely cake, and then it was the second stop on my cross- country qualifier. Had a hot choc and received some friendly smiles and words of congrats.

Very friendly, helpful staff, GREAT cakes/ flapjacks, and a nice view to boot. If you haven't been to Compton, GO!

h

bar shaker
20th Apr 2005, 07:40
AerBabe

Did you get flying in the end though?

Twas a great weekend.