PDA

View Full Version : Pa24

homeguard
15th Apr 2005, 18:09
Does anyone know of an STC - UK/JAA/Easa particularly - for the installation of a third place rear seat harness in a PA24 series aircraft?

DubTrub
15th Apr 2005, 20:45
Like a Comanche?

homeguard
16th Apr 2005, 00:01
yes the aircraft is a Comanche

M14P
16th Apr 2005, 07:18
I presume that you are asking about the 'A' model airframe with the rear bench seat.

This would therefore imply recertification from 4 to 5 occupants which may not be viable or even acceptable.

In this case it would be simpler to purchase a 'B' (or 'C' model if you can find one) which are certificated up to 6 occupants.

I can't remember the exact ins and outs but, in certifying to more than 4 seats (or possibly more than 5) the aircraft must have exits on both sides. On the Comanche this was achieved by modifying and shifting the baggage door to the left side.

There may be STC for rear seat shoulder restraints (for all variants) but that's about as much as I know.

This organisation will know more http://www.comancheflyer.com/

homeguard
16th Apr 2005, 09:19
M14P

thanks for your reply. There is an STC somewhere. A company called Bates Aircraft in California held an STC for the additional lap strap but they are out of business. So its a matter of finding a european registered Comanche with the mod, which will then satisfy the CAA/EASA.

Sir George Cayley
16th Apr 2005, 21:45
The Model B Com I used to fly had a rear bench seat and one of the lap straps was very, very long.

It was possible to thread it through the other buckle and hence restrain 3 small peeps.

By careful attention to the weght and balance charts, and weighing the little ones, it was feasible to fly with 3 in the back.

I know in these health and safety, risk assesment, litiginous days this must seem heinous, but I used to ride a bike without any form of protection too!

No one was harmed in the writing of this reply.

Sir George Cayley

ps Thanks for the reminder about the single Com. Whata playne!

M14P
16th Apr 2005, 22:23
The Model B Com I used to fly had a rear bench seat

...Then is wasn't a B! :))

It might have been a 250 or even an 'oddball' '65 260 but B's have individual seats in the centre row and two funny little squabs/press stud backs in the rear.

No doubt that they are fine machines but the B is a leap from the vintage technology to something that feels sigificantly more modern. A beautiful A model visited Popham today. I didn't get a chance to look closely but it was a jewel from afar. Nice new 'factory' scheme, too.

Hope you find the STC paperwork.

Sir George Cayley
19th Apr 2005, 13:01
I know I'm very old but my memory aint that bad.

Are you sure you're not thinking of the PA30 Twin Com?

I still have some paperwork from the old gal in a box somewhere.
It was a 1960 250hp carburettor engined model B. The back seat was a bench the rear of which folded forward to give access to the luggage compartment. The rest was as described. The aircraft still flies and is somewhere in the south so we could go and have a look if needs be.

The 260C I coverted had the 3rd row of seats and an extra side window. And sexy tip tanks!

Ah well. Now where's that lottery ticket?

Sir George Cayley

M14P
19th Apr 2005, 22:28
Nah!

That's an A but a 250 rather than a 180 so effectively the second iteration of the aircraft. They were sold concurrently for a while. In '65 the 260 arrived (different gear, fin cap slighty bigger motor) but was trumped by Beechcraft producing the original Model 36 with up to 6 seats. So, by the end of 65 the B model was produced. 69 saw the first of the Cs with a better panel and prop shaft extension. There were a few T models produced which were Cs with a RayJay turbo and the utterly mad 400 skirted around the other models.

3 windows on each side - it's a B or a C.

Tips can be fitted to nearly all models and are very useful. Mains, Aux and Tips gives 10.5 hours endurance until a glide approach!!!

m