PDA

View Full Version : transporting wings

Aeronut
14th Apr 2005, 21:16
Can anyone help me find a means of transporting some wings from Cambridgeshire to Wiltshire?

I want to shift a set of one piece aluminium wings (about 26 ft) They have a little dihedral so I think that a glider box trailer is out of the question.

Anyone know of an open trailer about 20 ft long or a even a long box van.

Hire companies don't seem to have anything greater than 16ft.

A removal van would do it but for £350 I would like to try something else!

M14P
14th Apr 2005, 21:28
You could hire a 20ft tail lift truck and put the wings on trestles therein but there might not be quite enough diagonal length (pythagoras will tell you) However, having recently transported my fuselage, I hired a pro for the wings and it was worth every penny. What's more, he's local to you...

see www.olg.co.uk (http://)

Sedbergh
15th Apr 2005, 07:33
Most gliding clubs have an open trailer used for retrieving gliders which are normally kept rigged.

Have a word with your local club - they might be able to help.

But be warned. Your car insurance will (probably) cover 3rd party accidents involving a trailer, but certainly not its cargo.

stiknruda
15th Apr 2005, 07:36
I have moved fuselages and wings (under construction) about quite a bit.

For one piece wings (ie a Pitts top wing, 17'6") I have built cradlesfrom wood, canvas strapping and foam rubber that support the wing in the vertical plane (all puns intentional) and then secured the cradle to an open 20' trailer.

For a 26' wing I would either do the same and have as much overhang out of the front as safely possible, ie - the wing tip sitting over the jockey wheel;

OR

if the wing was finished and signed off, I'd shellout £350 and have it done by someone who was insured!

Good luck

Stik

Aeronut
15th Apr 2005, 09:22
Many thanks everyone - some avenues to pursue.

Cheers:ok: :ok: