PDA

View Full Version : Will the FAA ever hire from outside the US?

GT3
14th Apr 2005, 21:04
Just wondering if the FAA will consider hiring non-US nationals anytime soon?

Jerricho
14th Apr 2005, 21:05
Why GT?

You getting itchy feet?

Gonzo
14th Apr 2005, 22:52
Maybe wants a new car?

Again?:E

360BakTrak
15th Apr 2005, 08:58
I hope so......quite fancy Key West Tower.....:ok:

GT3
15th Apr 2005, 11:41
Jer

Fancy the states or Dubai. Will see how it goes.

atcea.com
15th Apr 2005, 14:44
The FAA is going to hire 15,000 controllers over the next 10 years. There ia a pool of qualified applicants (ATC college training programs, ex-military, old PATCO guys, etc.) that numbers around 5,000.

After that, they'll be hiring off the streets, probably based on aptitude test scores. There's another 5,000.

That leaves 'em short about 5,000 bodies in 6 or 7 years.

"Do you know where New York is?
Can you spell ATC?
Let's talk."

---

ATC Careers (http://atcea.com/countries/car/car.html)

GT3
15th Apr 2005, 17:34
Love NY

Its A T C

Where do I apply?? :O

Jerricho
15th Apr 2005, 19:53
Where do I apply

I hear they are looking for cleaners. Facilities management is probably a good place to start :E

(They wouldn't take me.......... they wouldn't be able to distinguish me from the other turds)

Scott Voigt
15th Apr 2005, 21:44
Don't count on it... We have close to 2000 on the CTI list alone that want to get hired and the schools are generating more every year, so that number of CTI's is not stagnant. In fact, they are going to generate easily enough every year to cover probably at least half of the FAA's need. Then add to the mix all the folks in the militar (remember it is large) that will be able to either reenlist or get out and try for the FAA. That is a good sized list too. With all of that, there is going to be very little need for hiring off the street, much less from outside the country. We do have a LARGE country and we have never had a hard time filling the positions when the FAA was hiring... Our main problem is only getting the govt. to hire.

Now, that said, I wish that we could get some of you in here. It would be great to diversify some and get some other opinions on ATC going. Not that anyone would listen <big evil grin):E

regards

Scott

tug3
15th Apr 2005, 22:19
In a previous life I worked for the US Dept. of the Interior. (Don't ask - you'd only laugh!).

The requirements then were for 'Federal' employees to be US Citizens. (I worked on an exchange, so I didn't count!). To become such you had firstly to become a 'Registered Alien'.

Following a period of 5 years being a model 'wannabe' citizen, (No speeding tickets, etc.), you could then APPLY for US Citizenship: " I pledge allegiance to the flag ......", "Oh say can you see, by the dawn's ...." etc. etc. etc.

The US Immigration & Naturalization Service web site would no doubt give you all the info.

Q 4 Scott V: Is the above still the case?

Rgds

T3

West Coast
15th Apr 2005, 22:26
Scott

Are any of the displaced AFSS people getting positions on the controlling side of the house?

NATCA BNA
16th Apr 2005, 14:47
West Coast,

From information that we have seen only about 200 out of approximately 5,000 FSS employees that are being RIFTED qualify to transfer into Control Towers. I have several friends who work in Flight Service that are extremely worried about their future.

Mike
NATCA BNA

West Coast
16th Apr 2005, 14:52
BNA

What did the bulk of them do,, go the privatized route or stay within the FAA/gov in other jobs?

NATCA BNA
16th Apr 2005, 15:00
The answer is probably never, but as Scott said the added diversity would had been a good thing.

Mike
NATCA BNA

Scott Voigt
17th Apr 2005, 02:08
Hi Tug;

I couldn't tell you what the requirements are anymore. It's been awhile since I brought my grandparents over and I have only been looking into work visa's for one of my cousins. I expect that it probably hasn't changed much other than the background checks. I am sure those are probably more stringent than ever.

regards

Scott

NATCA BNA
19th Apr 2005, 21:33
West Coast,

I'm not sure what the majority of AFSS employees are going to do. I imagine that the ones that are eligeble to retire will, those that can will try to transfer into low level control towers/approach controls, others will hire on with the contractor, and the majority probably will be unemployed.

Mike
NATCA BNA