PDA

View Full Version : any parts true.....?

deceptibum
14th Apr 2005, 00:26
i was observing someone say this in another forum....

Cathay???

You will have to live in Hong Kong for a year...
You will be on an individual employment contract, so they can decide to not renew at the end of the term...

Choose wisely...

i obviously know about the relocation to hong kong, but the whole deciding on not to renew an employment contract????? i know they can fire, but I understood this was a full time job until such action may take place.

Any current pilot insights?

VRThomas
14th Apr 2005, 00:50
Man, You have GOT to get out more.

There are getting to be more and more jobs with these types of conditions attached.

Just remember... you can't win if you don't play!!!

VRT:ok:

deceptibum
14th Apr 2005, 04:48
still curious, that really didn't answer the question.

The Messiah
15th Apr 2005, 01:50
No-one is on any individual employment contract at Cathay anymore than they are at other airlines around the world. They do not review with a view to renewing it or not, that's what checkrides are for the same as other outfits lets be honest.

It is possible to work for Cathay without having to relocate to Hong Kong at all until command.

Hope that answers your questions.

tamalai
15th Apr 2005, 03:46
Cathay employee's like many others worldwide work on a three month "Rolling" contract, as it says that 3 months notice is all that is required by either side to terminate........................also one is "Re-Interviewed" for the position every 6 months or so and if the required proficiency is not achieved the company has the option to terminate your employment......................actually, as far as I am aware, this is about as secure as it gets irrespective of where you are employed worldwide.....................................Probably the main advantage of Cx is that un like your American carriers they are not prone to spending employee's provident funds to keep the company afloat whilst being protected by stupid idea's like "Chapter 11".............a good way to ensure everybody goes broke not just the badly managed companies

deceptibum
16th Apr 2005, 04:35
thanks for the info guys. The whole contract thing doesn't phase me a bit. I've had my app in since last year and still am trying to make it my final career step. Was just clarifying stories I have heard. I do agree, if you can't pass a sim ride or two, why bother being employed there anyway.

Take care guys!

Hangin' on
16th Apr 2005, 18:36
Um, actually Tamalai, the CX provident funds have been carefully protected from raids since well before Maxwell et al. These funds are simply not available to be used, and to be fair, the rules were originally written by CX..........:8