PDA

View Full Version : Cumbernauld, very good and very bad

Flybywyre
13th Apr 2005, 09:52
Went on a trip yesterday, White Waltham to Cumbernauld return, which was pretty uncomfortable getting there but better coming back. I phoned the tower up the day beforehand for PPR and any other relevant details and spoke to John.......I was surprised and pleased at the enthusiastic reception I got from John who even offered to pre book a cab for us so that we could visit the town of Cumbernauld for a look around and get some lunch.............an unexpected and refreshing attitude to customer service in GA (apart from White Waltham and Bembridge)
Having arrived there at around 12:25 after a pretty unpleasant flight battling with some adverse weather over the Lake District etc, we decided our time would be better spent doing some serious flight planning to get back via different route along the east coast. We ventured into the offices of Cumbernauld Flying School and asked if we could do some flight planning for our return trip, we spoke to a lady flying instructor who guided us to the person in charge.............we asked if we could get some TAFF's and METAR's etc.............and we were unceremoniously told that information of this nature was for their use only, they "were nothing to do with the airport and we should speak to ATC for anything like that, that is what they are there for". I then asked if I could have use of one of the spare computer terminals so that I could access the Met office, logged in under my own password, so that I could retrieve the information myself. Oh no........much to busy for that we were informed ...............and very impolitely shown the door.
IN 18 YEARS OF FLYING I HAVE NEVER ENCOUNTERED SUCH AN UNPROFESSIONAL AND TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE STANDARD OF BEHAVIOUR AND MANNERS AT ANY FLYING CLUB OR AIRFIELD.........EVER !!
Tails between our legs we sought some help from John in the tower who promptly introduced us to Trevor Mckenna of FLIGHT ACADEMY SCOTLAND.
What a breath of fresh air................not only was Trevor Polite, courteous and very helpful........we were treated to free tea, coffee and biscuits ! While we were enjoying the hospitality Trevor was printing off forms 215 and 214 along with the latest Southern and Northern TAFF's and METARS.
People like John and Trevor are great assets to GA..........their professionalism and enthusiasm really makes going to some of the more out of the way places (for us southerners that is) worthwhile...................I will certainly be going back and would thoroughly recommend it to fellow aviators.
If you want to learn to fly or do a night rating / IMC then a week with Flight Academy Scotland would be money well spent and great value for money at that.

As for Cumbernauld Flying School.............................if that's your only choice, take up sailing instead

Regards
Flybywyre

Aussie Andy
13th Apr 2005, 10:43
Interesting to read - thanks for posting; I think tales of this sort are very helpful to share!

Cheers,

Andy :ok:

wbryce
13th Apr 2005, 11:43
I can back the comments about John and the rest of the guys in the Tower, they do a great job and keep everyone happy.

Can't say i've had experiance with the flying school but they have always been friendly when I've been in buying there twenty quid bacon sarnie.

flying snapper
13th Apr 2005, 12:27
Lucky for you Kenny wasn't on duty at the tower! Renowned throughout Central Scotland as a hater of all non Cumbernauld students (In my experience certainly):)

Caledonian
13th Apr 2005, 23:09
Ach Kenny is a pussy cat really!!!

BTW not calling you a liar Mr Threadstarter but the way you go on to plug FAS at the end makes your story not at very credible and could be contsrued as a cheap shot to get FAS publicity and CFS a bad name in light of a recent thread on the Flight Instructors Forum.

CatPainter
13th Apr 2005, 23:41
the way you go on to plug FAS...

Funny, that was my first thought too!

Last time I was there the TAF's and METAR's, etc were up on the notice board for all to see and use.

Much indignation over nothing!

Convienient timing after the "handbags at dawn" between FAS and CFS in the Instructors forum.

Flybywyre
14th Apr 2005, 11:49
I was totally unaware of the above mentioned thread on the Flight instructors forum.

My post was not a story, but a statement of fact on the treatment we received at Cumbernauld Airport. Yes, my comment at the end of the thread could be considered as a plug for FAS, and if so one they completely deserve .......:ok:

Regards
FBW

A Sayers
19th Apr 2005, 12:01
I have regularly flown into Cumbernauld since before the runway was turned into tarmac. Never had problems with the reception from anybody. Don't know anything about FAS other than the owner claimed to be something he wasn't.
There are much worse examples of unprofessional behaviour to be found than someone having no time for you.

Speedtape
19th Apr 2005, 17:25
I've always found it to be a very friendly place. I suppose ones intial attitude towards the locals can sometimes set the tone for the treatment one can expect to recieve thereafter. It's the same anywhere in the country.;)