PDA

View Full Version : Blue Mountain Avionics

Vedeneyev
13th Apr 2005, 08:47
Has anyone got one of these? (http://www.bluemountainavionics.com/elitemain.php)

I am looking for a new AI and CDI, and came across this for actually less than a traditional package but yet it does so much more, and it looks freaking awesome! PM me if anyone has experienced them (assuming it's not a late April fool...)

Rod1
13th Apr 2005, 10:47
Is the aircraft c of a or permit?

Rod1

Vedeneyev
13th Apr 2005, 12:58
I don't want the kit as part of an airways fitout, just peace of mind when crossing water etc. I also understand that the product is not certified and only for fitting in experimental aircraft, and if fitted in a certified aircraft it becomes experimental.

Personally I'm inthe UK and want to fit it to a VFR only Public CofA aircraft, but am not sure why the bureaucracy prevents it being fitted. Eg I have my iPod piped through the intercom - does it also mean my iPod should be certified, regardless of whether it's a public or private transport flight? I would want the unit removable in the panel - what's to prevent one removing uncertified equipment just for the annual?

Currently I have no Attitude or Nav instrumentation in the aircraft. Isn't any unit better than none, even if it does have a big 'Not to be used as a primary flight instrument' sticker next to it? I could install an electric gyro with it's attendant electric and mechanical failure modes, but why not this less error/failure prone electronic kit, which with a suitable backup battery is even more failsafe than the 1930's technology that's certified?

Would anyone know what paperwork would need to be produced to fit the kit in a certified aircraft?