PDA

View Full Version : Simple A320 Flap question

12th Apr 2005, 09:54
Hi

Just training on A320 and I have a question about Flap 2.

On a departure or a Go Around when is Flap 2 used?

I believe that Flap 2 is missed in the retraction of Flaps from Flap 3 to Flap 1 on a normal departure. I am under the impression that this is also the case for the G/A both single engine and both working.

So am I correct in thinking that the only time its used in the flap retraction schedule is when you plan for a Flap 3 landing and the G/A, retracting the Flap up 1 to Flap 2??

If not or so where is this information found?

Also, when commencing a Go Around, I know that if both Autopilots were engaged that the aircraft will carry out the Go Around with the automatics. Does this apply if only 1 Autopilot was engaged or does the Autopilot trip out leaving the pilot to fly the aircraft?

Appreciate your help.

Dream Land
12th Apr 2005, 16:33
You are correct, when making a Flap3 approach followed by a missed approach, Conf 2 will be selected. You are also correct when making a takeoff in Conf 3, the next position when F speed is reached will be Conf 1. Also, some companies have takeoff charts for Flaps 2, have fun with the bus!

Dream Land:cool:

wheelbarrow
12th Apr 2005, 17:07
As far as I know, the aircraft will go around even in CAT1 FMA display condition.

i.e. if you only have one autopilot engaged it will still go around on the selected autopilot as long as the PF selects the thrust levers to TOGA.

It seems to be no different to a go around from a non precision approach in my mind, however I stand to be corrected.

In fact I believe if you were on fire, with one autopilot operative, below minima and you elected to continue an ILS on one autopilot, as long as you get LAND GREEN by 350' the aircraft would land happily. But, it wouldn't have been your day.

IRRenewal
12th Apr 2005, 17:32
Simple A320 questionIs there such a thing?:O

R3Hard
12th Apr 2005, 21:09
Get your sim instructor to show you!!

Yes you are correct about Flap 2.

If an autopilot is selected and you are below the flap retraction altitude in the FMGC (normally 1500 above airfield) and at least flap 1 is selected and toga applied then you will get Man Toga SRS GA Track on the FMA and the aircraft will pitch up to 15 degrees irrespective of the approach being flown. If the Go around profile is in the FMGC you will select managed nav if not then you will have to use selected to fly the plate profile. This can be one of the bus gotchas as if you are above flap retraction altitude you will not get the go around but speed mode (assuming of course you bring the thrust levers back into the climb detente otherwise it will obviously stay in toga)which will hold the current speed and could be below the VLS of the lesser flap speed if standard go around doctrine is employed, ie you are iat 180ish kts or S speed in flap 2 descending at 2000ft and elect or are told to go around, you call go around flap and select toga (happily assuming that you will activate the go around phase) then back to climb the nhp selects flap 1, Vls rises to around 200kts and you get speed mode on the FMA, system gets upset as you are trying to hold 180ish kts, it gives you the warning 'speed speed' momentarily then trips out the automatics and you get alpha floor/toga lock and bust the barbers pole in flap 1 while you are trying to figure out what the f*** is going on. Best bet is to discuss in the cockpit select go around altitude and then V/S mode or open climb and reconfigure the aircraft as you require. RTFQ becomes Read and understand the FMA in the BUS.

The aircraft will autoland with 1 autopilot engaged and Cat 1 displayed on the FMA from an ils but continuing below MDA and not visual will be a tough call for the LHS - especially if it all goes pear shaped, you can only continue (as a rule) if the ecam drills are completed by 1000ft and are visual at cat 1 minima, if not below 1000ft a go around should automatically be executed. If you burning and in the worst case situation then..... hopefully you will only see it in the sim and be able to discuss the pro's and cons with the trainer.

Flap 2 waste of time for departure generally, either Flap 1+f (preferred) or 3 on a short runway, 2 might be considered at very low weights or with 20+kts down the strip or if a very marked emergency turn on departure from a short runway to minimise drag but this very esoteric!!

It is an aeroplane that is designed to be operated not flown but at the end of the day it is still only an aeroplane - power and attitude!

Hope my diatribe helps?????

:8