PDA

View Full Version : Lapsed PPL of over 10 years?

Say again s l o w l y
7th Apr 2005, 23:15
I just want to run something by everyone here to see if I have my understanding correct.

I had a new member come into the club this afternoon who holds a UK PPL (lifetime validity) but who hasn't flown since '92 but would like to get back into it.

My understanding from LASOR's is that as his is valid for life, there is NO requirement for any groundschool (excepting FRTOL) and that we need to get him up to speed on his flying and then he needs an SEP flight test, rather than a full-on PPL retest. Am I correct in my thinking?

I ask since our examiner thinks he should be writing off to the Belgrano to find out what he needs to do, but I thought this wasn't required anymore.

Thanks in advance.

Whopity
7th Apr 2005, 23:27
Thats precisely what LASORS is for, so that people don't gum up the phone lines and delay licence issues etc.

The only addition to what you say is that the Skill Test contains "Navigation" Section 3A as required: after a 10 year lay off a short 30/45 minute nav leg should suffice.

flying log
8th Apr 2005, 07:09
correct SAS.

The guy should do as much revision as he feels necessary to pass the test, then if he fails you get to question his decision making!