PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have

Captainkarl
7th Apr 2005, 21:53
Does any1 have an approach plate of Sywell aerodrome EGBK which they could scan for me and send 2 me? As I would like it ASAP for a video I am making of my 1st solo and want to post it on here.

Thanks

Obs cop
7th Apr 2005, 22:06
Captaincarl,

from the AIS webite,

http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/pdf/aerodromes/302BK01.PDF

don't know if it will work without a logon, but failing that grab a logon from them. They have plates for all aerodromes in the UK.

Regards

Obscop

Cusco
8th Apr 2005, 08:19
I have a reasonably up-to--date (Like 2 months old) copy of the UK AIP on CDROM which I don't need:

It has all the plates for all UK aerodromes and much more besides.

You can have it FOC if you care to PM me with your postal address.

Cheers
and good luck

Cusco

Ludwig
8th Apr 2005, 08:38
Captain Karl

Although from what I have read on this Forum so far you are not a particularly glowing testament to their skills, you are learning to fly at one of the best and most friendly flying Schools in the UK (in my view). Rather than post stuff on here why don’t you speak to Lucy, or any of the instructors and they will give you all the stuff you want. There is a training NBD approach to 03 for Sywell, but as there is no NDB it is utterly useless. There is also a SID for both 03 and 21 to join the airways at DTY again unofficial and a throw-back to the day when NSOF ran charter flights in an Aztec. If you are desperate and no one at the school can provide them, (which I doubt) PM me and I will send them to you. I am sure that Frank will know them of the top of his head. Your instructors are there to help you, but you have to talk to them rather then post questions on here – they do know what they are doing you know, the school has been doing it for over 70 years

Speedtape
8th Apr 2005, 14:15
Ludwig

Although from what I have read on this Forum so far you are not a particularly glowing testament to their skills, you are learning to fly at one of the best and most friendly flying Schools in the UK (in my view).

Heh, heh, heh... I see what you mean;)

S-Works
8th Apr 2005, 17:00
Perhaps you should concentrate on flying your first solo safely and bringing the plane back to the school to be used again by another member rather than poncing around with home movies of the great moment.

I suppose if nothing else it will help the AIB.

bar shaker
8th Apr 2005, 20:24
I would that if you were ready for solo, you were sufficiently proficient with the local circuit pattern that you would not need a plate.

Speedtape
9th Apr 2005, 11:15
Perhaps he's proceeding to the IR and missing out the bits between that and his first solo :rolleyes:

Whirlybird
9th Apr 2005, 16:39
Oh, for Gawd's sake!!!!!!!!

Karl asked if anyone on PPRuNe had something he wanted. The answer to this is yes, no, or I know where you can get it. He didn't ask for your opinions of his flying ability, maturity, or judgement...which is what you seem to be questioning. I don't think this kind of criticism is doing either Karl or the writers of it any good whatsoever.

I thought of saying something after Ludwig's first comment, but decided to let things lie. But I can't stand seeing everyone else using it as an excuse to jump in with criticism and snide comments. Grow up, you guys. Karl is 16; you're not.

effortless
9th Apr 2005, 17:19
Poor little f***er, what on earth has he done to upset everyone? :confused:

Isn't it enough that he is going to be reminded of his callowness for the rest of his life? :p

Lord I wish I could forget being 16.

Halfbaked_Boy
9th Apr 2005, 17:21
Without taking sides, Karl is a friend of mine and although I am one to back my mates I will agree that sometimes he should use some more initiative.

Cheers, Jack.

Monocock
9th Apr 2005, 17:34
Karl

Although a fantastic place to extract and spread knowledge, sadly this can be a ruthless place too.

When I was 16 I would have asked a similar question. In fact, when I was 16 I didn't know what an approach plate was so that's one up for you.

Can I suggest you stick up for yourself and retaliate when you receive sarcasm. Comments along the line of "ignorant old bas***ds" might help you get any frustration out.

Alternatively, change your user name and come back keeping certain things like plans to video your first solo to yourself.

This is meant to be constructive so please spare me a lecture Whirly.

Best regards

M:ok:

Obs cop
10th Apr 2005, 13:34
Did I miss something here?

The original post was a request for an approach plate for Sywell for a video (albeit solo). My interpretation was that the plate would be part of the video, maybe fading in then out prior to the actual video of that area.

I don't know much about Captainkarl's flying ability, but personally I am dismayed that anyone's flying ability is brought into question at quite such a tender age in their training. Confidence can be a delicate thing during training, but none the less some of the best pilots do come from the worst students.

Karl, as some have pointed out Pprune is not always the best place to seek advice, but heck it wasn't really that out of order maybe just a bit naive. Try phrasing your questions differently, as there is a world of difference between:

A) Does anyone have an xxxxx I can have,

and

B) Where is the best place for me to get an xxxxx

Just my humble thoughts
Obs cop

BEagle
10th Apr 2005, 14:24
Captainkarl, go to http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/en/register.pdf and follow the free registration procedure. You should then be able to open and print off http://www.ais.org.uk/aes/pubs/aip/...mes/302BK01.PDF which is the aerodrome chart for Sywell. I guess that's what you meant, rather than an Instrument Approach Chart (or 'Plate' as some term it.) You will also then have access to up-to-date AICs as well as the whole UK AIP.

Ignore the rude and uncharitable comments made by some on here!

Good luck with your solo, then your PPL/ATPL!

DX Wombat
10th Apr 2005, 15:47
Should I ever be fortunate enough to be able to learn to fly there is one thing I will NEVER EVER do, I will NEVER let any of the frequenters of this forum know. It would be hard enough for me to learn without having the added stress of all the vicious, sarcastic, snide comments. Karl, ignore them, do as Whirlybird and the others have said and just get on with enjoying your flying. Go out there and show the miserable so & sos that you can do it. Good luck with your first solo & may you have many more enjoyable solo flights. :ok:

Whirlybird
10th Apr 2005, 20:42
DX Wombat,

But there's one big, big difference - you're not 16. And I suspect that a lot of the comments stem from jealousy, that someone of that age has the opportunity to learn to fly. Understandable, perhaps, but not an excuse.

If I find myself getting jealous of others in that way I remind myself that ALL of us who fly are extremely privileged and very lucky. :ok:

Of course, another alternative if someone rubs you up the wrong way, for whatever reason, is not to read their posts.

S-Works
10th Apr 2005, 20:51
His flying is not THAT bad, I have seen it from 50ft away in the circuit.......... :p

Sometimes descretion is the better part of valour.

:p

Captainkarl
10th Apr 2005, 23:08
Im back and ready to defend myself! Thank you Whirlybird and DX Wombat and effortless!
I actaully wanted the plate so I could mix it into the video at the correct time of where I was in the flight to show my parents (not aviation folk)lol,

But many of you jumped the gun assuming i didnt know the runways, let alone circuit patterns! And Ill have you Muppets know I know sywell/circuits from the air very well, and my solo did go ahead and as for my flying skill's who is 1 to judge after all you were all students yourselves!

Happy flying folks!

oh yeah one thing " Ill be back!!"

J.A.F.O.
11th Apr 2005, 09:58
Well done, Karl.

I've watched the video and, even though it induced my first ever bout of airsickness, it's a wonderful thing to have. I only have pictures of my first solo in my head, they're as clear and sharp as ever even after 19 years, but they are only in my head.

Now, I'm as good at gun jumping as the rest of them but youth is about making mistakes and learning from them, hopefully we've all learned enough to understand that. Thankfully I let Whirlybird post first (if I had the money I'd employ her to do my thinking for me) so now I can only say well done - both for the solo and for standing up to the comments on Pprune.

Sixteen and he's heard of Sinatra (watch the video) - can't be all bad folks.

:ok:

Whirlybird
11th Apr 2005, 10:21
Thankfully I let Whirlybird post first (if I had the money I'd employ her to do my thinking for me)

Well, here I am desperately looking for more work (long story!) and wondering how I can find a niche....now being paid to THINK, why didn't I THINK of that myself? JAFO, when you can afford it, any time! Mind you, I think I'll be expensive. :) :) :)

Captain Karl,

Rule Number One on PPRuNe - If something can be misunderstood, it will.

I've found this out the hard way. :( There seem to be some people out there just waiting to jump in if you've missed something out. I posted a bit back about a flight I'd done with some instruments not working. What I omitted to mention - since I was just back from the flight, and tired - was that I'd considered the safety aspect, was experienced at flying with only basic instruments, and had plenty of diversion airfields if needed. I came back a day later to find several people screaming about my lack of airmanship...and one lone soul saying, "Shouldn't we stop jumping to conclusions and wait till Whirly gets back to this thread?"

So when you post, it's as well to bear all this in mind. Read your post, and think about how it sounds from the point of view of someone who doesn't know you, who's three times your age with ten times the experience. Correct the spelling and punctuation (it actually matters to some people ;) ), then read it again.

Then, when you get misunderstood anyway (!!!), accept that this is PPRuNe and that's what happens. And if being flamed matters to you - and it does to most of us - keep a suit of mental armour next to the PC. :)

Good luck with the rest of the course. :ok:

bar shaker
11th Apr 2005, 13:15
Karl

Going solo is the definition of being a pilot, youv'e reached a standard that allows you to fly alone.

Well done.

bs

Captainkarl
12th Apr 2005, 15:22
Yes I have heard of Sinatra! Come fly with me is sadly my favourite song! It just makes me :D

I had my photo taken today for the local paper! Should be interesting.... also may have "landed" (x'cuse the pun) a job working with delta aviation's ground crew at sywell. They just want me to come and work with them for a day and see how I get along with the team! All they ask is that im enuthuastic, punctual etc

Has anyone elese seen the video yet?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.beetson1/karlsololowq.wmv

Speedtape
19th Apr 2005, 17:35
Great camera work. Was the camera operator shaking with laughter? :yuk:

trevelyan
20th Apr 2005, 20:46
blimey, first aviation video clip taken from a pogo stick.

Nice flying Karl.

:)

hingey
20th Apr 2005, 21:26
Congrats Karl!

Ranting aside, I feel it is important to support fellow pilots in any way possible, particulalry through training which can be tough for us youngters, particularly those like me who dont know left from right and still have GCSE's and A levels to cope with.

Karl, if people give you sh*t, pay no attention. If in 10 years its you in the right hand seat of a cosy job, that goes to show what a little determination can do.

Happy landings, and keep flying!

h

PS- PM me the newspaper clipping when it comes out

Halfbaked_Boy
20th Apr 2005, 22:17
RE: Bouncy camera - nega, I took it from a vantage point that was a few degrees above zero wearing a flimsy cotton school shirt :p

Cheers, Jack

LowNSlow
21st Apr 2005, 05:59
More like Half frozen boy then!

Nice one Captain Karl and good luck with your future flying. As Whirly and others have said, it isn't good to have a thin skin when Ppruning. There are a lot of helpful people who are only to glad to pass on their experience. Unfortunately, as anywhere else in the world, there are also people waiting with bated breath to pounce on any "error" no matter how small.