PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield City Airport Doomed

helicopter-redeye
7th Apr 2005, 20:25
Faced with ongoing losses at the Airport and the expectation that no residuary sum will be payable, the City Council would in 2007 have little or no choice but to transfer of the freehold of the land for £1 and allow, subject to planning, the potential redevelopment of the airport site in its entirety for other uses. This creates a backdrop to the more recent discussions regarding the circumstances under which the City Council would consider early closure or limitation of the Airport facilities.

From the consultants report into EGSY, located on the Sheffield City Council website and reported on regional TV news this evening (you can see a nice red helicopter looking sad in the background if you are quick ...)

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=49526

The same consultants who have been advising SCA since 1998, so throughout the period of airport operation - (www.yorkaviation.co.uk) also note later in the report that to continue operating the airport would require a reimbursement to the operator.

Given the fact that the Airport continues to make a loss and looks set to do so for the foreseeable future, the original Development Agreement and Lease mean that the Developer is within its rights to close the Airport in 2007. The only options open to the public sector are to buy out the developer and support the operation of the Airport financially at a cost of upwards of £25 million or agree to its closure.

Either by accident or design, the SCC website was updated by somebody named Slaughter. How ironic..

Sir George Cayley
8th Apr 2005, 20:18
As Peel paid York Aviation to do the report do you think it would have ever come to the opposite conclusion?

Don't blame York though. Just doing what all consultants have done time imemorial.

Tell the client what they already know and then get paid for it!

Sir George Cayley

helicopter-redeye
8th Apr 2005, 21:07
Tell the client what they already know and then get paid for it!

I believe the correct form is "tell the client what they WANT and get paid for it"

A point made in the report is that one cannot really land regional air transport aircraft at EGSY because the runway is too short.

However I have seen Dash 8 aircraft touch on the 28 threshold and have stopped by the Bravo exit without a backtrack and excessive breaking (much to the admiration of the then controller! Gave him somebody to talk to before GA was allowed).

MichaelJP59
11th Apr 2005, 13:31
Ridiculous that the report continually cites Manchester Airport as being easy to get to from Sheffield and quotes 65 minutes - as someone who drives this route every day there is no way you can get from the city centre to MAN in that time unless it's about 4.30am! The route is a winding goat trail over the moors that feeds into the appalling bottleneck that is Glossop/Mottram. More like 70-90 minutes typically.

When you consider all the cities/towns that are smaller than Sheffield and have a convenient local airport it's a crying shame that the airport looks like it's doomed.

It could also mean the end of regular flying for me as Gamston, Netherthorpe etc. are all more than an hour's drive away, which makes even a short flight virtually an all day affair:(

helicopter-redeye
11th Apr 2005, 16:48
Certainly not an easy drive, esp as most of the business flights leave at 0630 - 0700hrs range to reach "Europe" which is an hour ahead.

For me to get to work in Brussels via Manchester means getting up at 0400hrs (not at your best, see the ATPL Human Factors course to understand more) to be in Brussels for 0930,

From Sheffield Airport it was a 15 min drive.

NB Winding goat track is a bit of an exageration. Its much worse than that (esp in the snow ....)

:(

MikeJ
11th Apr 2005, 18:37
Sheffield runway too short for regional airlines?
London City gets more and more successful, jets and all - and its MUCH shorter than Sheffield - well 12m shorter!
Mike.

Noah Zark.
11th Apr 2005, 22:06
At the Grand Opening of the airport, there was a 146 and an ATP present if I recall.
Also when KLM were flying from there, their Fokkers managed with ease to get in and out.
Its a rip-off!

niknak
11th Apr 2005, 22:26
Yes there were a lot of aeroplanes of all shapes and sizes using Sheffield for a very short period of time, the trouble is that there weren't enough passengers to make any of the routes viable.
Put an airport next to a motorway, within easy reach of national rail links, only 1 hours drive from Humberside and Leeds and try and operate similar routes with more expensive fares - I wonder why it wasn't a success?

Having been involved in it's operation for a while, I know that it rapidly became a very expensive white elephant and no one in their right mind would have taken it on as a commercial enterprise after all the scheduled routes failed.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Peel only took it on because it helped smooth the political path for the development of Robin Hood - a fact they've never denied.

It would be great if Sheffield could remain available as a G/A facility, but who would pay the bills?

Come up with an answer to that, and you'll probably find that it will stay open.

MichaelJP59
11th Apr 2005, 23:11
I'm not sure though niknak, it seems as though if there were no other factors, it could at least break even as a GA airfield, the quoted running costs in the report seem rather high.

However, as the report states, the developers have a lock on this one, as they are virtually certain to get the land in 2007 for £1. Anyone wanting to take on the airfield would have to buy them out of that lucrative option, hardly a likely scenario.

Another small but significant nail in the coffin for practical GA, and another blow to Sheffield's ambitions to compete with Leeds and Manchester as an international city. Yes, the writing has been on the wall for some considerable time, but that doesn't make the end result any more palatable.

helicopter-redeye
12th Apr 2005, 07:45
there weren't enough passengers to make any of the routes viable

I recall the Amsterdam flights were always full to the brim (compared to a lot of the Amsterdam flights from Manchester that are not ...)

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Peel only took it on because it helped smooth the political path for the development of Robin Hood - a fact they've never denied

Or to get prime development land for a low cost? They may have missed out on the SDC phase of development. The asset can also be used to raise capital in its current or projected form.

For GA success, compare Sheffield with Gamston (and look at all the bizjets in the hanger at Gamston) or Denham.

Perhaps the consultants should look to Option "C" or "D" and suggest somebody else gets the chance to run EGSY for GA for a £1.

This would be more palatable than Option A (close and build for a £1) or Option B (pay the current operators for their trouble in failing to make a profit)

Incidently has any other UK city ever spent money on building an airport then closed it with ten years?

cesspit
13th Apr 2005, 14:58
So is Sheffield airport totally DOOMED, or are they still going ahead with the idea of halving the runway, and keeping it open to GA & helis?

At least with this option Sheffield will still come away with something.

Ginge_One
14th Apr 2005, 09:16
Does anyone know what happened at the council meeting yesterday?

Dog's Bone
14th Apr 2005, 21:10
Sad to say but that is the eventual outcome we all believed would happen. Peel only got involved with Sheffield for two reasons: (1) Sheffield was a major objector to Finningley being developed into a civil airport, and (2) the development land which is available. Number (1) conveniently removed an objector from the DSA list and (2) was a bonus for brownfield development.

It did not really need a report to state the obvious. Losses as noted in the report could never be sustained, especially when the land is so valuable for other uses!!! With Finningley nearby, Sheffield Airport doesn't make sense to airline operators in today's business world and keeping it open for GA is not going to make it anymore viable.

We can now see where the similarities lie with regards to Barton and its uncertain future. No doubt York will be invited to prepare a similar report on that airfield. Looks like we shall end up with a mini heliport at both places.

Ginge_One
17th Apr 2005, 15:35
The management are claiming that the airport will remain as is until 2007, no matter what the report says!!

helicopter-redeye
17th Apr 2005, 17:12
Sheffield is the forth largest city in the UK and has a population greater than the nation of Iceland (who have at least nine airports - there may be more but I have not been to them all).

In 2004 the City Council noted that :-

given Sheffield is the fourth largest City in England and has high economic regeneration aspirations, the option of having a city airport for Sheffield should be kept open and any move to close the Airport would be a major economic step backwards

How many cities in the UK have opened and then closed an airport??

How many cities in the UK have such bad rail and road links with the rest of the country? (Esp rail).

Check out this quotation from the Council Website, May 2004:-

3.3 As freeholder, the City Council has in place a restricted clause within the lease that requires the Airport to be kept at a fully operational status for ten years after the date of its opening. This period will expire in 2007, at which point the granting of the freehold to the Airport operators cannot be reasonably withheld.

So it is not a question of granting access to 2007. There is no choice.

Check this quotation as well:-

4.3 In so doing, the Council would be agreeing to release its land interest in the Airport site covering both the runway and the terminal buildings and apron. However, Members should note that SCAL have proposed a development of a heliport within the hub of the business park, and as part of the Memorandum of Understanding they are prepared to commit to maintain the heliport as available for operations for a period of ten years from the date of signing of the Understanding. This would in effect therefore convert the current period of protection that expires in 2007 for the full Airport into a period of protection extending to 2014 at the earliest for retaining significant helicopter and fixed wing capacity. Specifically, SCAL will be asked to use all reasonable endeavours to secure scheduled helicopter services. This opportunity will be made available for the full ten year period as referred to earlier

2014. '... significant fixed wing and helicopter services'.

Here is the link: http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=26549

And finally Ester, from my Prune PMs of 17 November 2004, from another PPruner:-

I sent an e-mail to my M.P., Richard Caborn expressing my concerns about the situation, saying amongst other things that yet again, Sheffield is becoming a laughing-stock. We will soon be the only city in Europe to have opened itself a new airport, had revenue earning flights from it, lost them, closed down and sold off the site within ten years.

As it happens, I received a letter from Caborn this morning. Bearing in mind that in the e-mail I sent, I had not mentioned Finningley at all, this is all that is in the reply.

"Thank you for your e-mail of 9 November about Sheffield City Airport. I appreciate what you say, but a decision has now been taken to develop the airport at Finningley."

A full 6 months before the 'independent study' by 'consultants' (who have worked extensively for Peel Airports (see York Aviation Consultants website for details) and advised on the setting up of EGSY (oops, did well there then..).

Like, but unlike, certain car manufacturers, let someone else have a go if they can't run it as a business that listens to their customers. £1 a fair price for the risk involved ...

Noah Zark.
17th Apr 2005, 21:23
Sheffield Airport have been criticised of late for the rather high landing fees that are in force there.
What isn't said, and ought to be, for a bit of positive publicity if you like, is that if you uplift 50 litres or more of fuel, the landing charge is waived.

maggioneato
19th Apr 2005, 21:05
Noah Zark. We visited Sheffield today and uplifted 74 litres of fuel, just as you said, no landing fee was payable. I didn't know about that so many thanks. Shame if it does close, it's a really nice friendly airfield to visit.

Kolibear
21st Apr 2005, 08:41
Just reading in my (2004) AFE Guide, the entry for Sheffield says 'PPR by Fax' :confused:

Why - whats wrong with the phone?

Circuit Basher
21st Apr 2005, 09:34
Kolibear - never been there, but from earlier threads on PPRuNe, ISTR that they ask for your insurance details, etc that they keep a hard copy of, hence the need for a fax. Once they have these details after your first trip, then you can phone for PPR.

I believe that I've remembered this correctly (I haven't trawled back to find the original thread, but I'm sure a search would get it for you).

maggioneato
21st Apr 2005, 10:34
You ring them, they fax you the guide to single engine aeroplane pilots using Sheffield City Airport, you fax them back with your details and you have understood the joining and noise abatement etc. After that you can come and go as you please by phone but the first visit as above.

Ginge_One
22nd Apr 2005, 18:18
The other option is to down load it from the website and fax it in. It is a bit of a pain, but as maggioneato said its only for the first time.
I don't think its the airport being awkward, thier purely covering their backs incase soembody fails to follow the long list of do's and don'ts laid down by the CAA.
Its a very nice friendly GA airfield, well worth a visit.

maggioneato
22nd Apr 2005, 19:38
So nice in fact we have been again today. Also visited Doncaster Sheffield. Uplifted fuel again, so no landing fee.
If you fly in with someone else who is already PPR'd, you can fill in the forms then fly the return flight yourself.
So I flew in, my friend flew out.

stiknruda
25th Apr 2005, 16:28
I hope to be there at 0930 tomorrow. Have to look at a something in Broomhill. Wx px of course.

How long in minutes from The airport to Broomhill by cab, anyone? Jct of Westbourne and Glossop.

Should just manage to squeeze 50 litres into the aeroplane.

Stik

Noah Zark.
25th Apr 2005, 17:36
Stik,
20-25 minutes should see it at that time of the morning. The rush should have abated by then.
N.Z.
P.S. Check your P.M.'s.

stiknruda
25th Apr 2005, 18:06
Noah - no PM?

If it is a PM saying, I'll run you across to yr destination, then take you back to the aerodrome for compensation in either wonga or 15 minutes in the Pitts, then assuming that a) you are not oversize and b) you don't puke all over me - then it's the sort of PM I'd love to see!

Stik

Fried_Chicken
31st May 2005, 18:37
Was in the area today (driving) so decided to pop in & watch the happenings here whilst eating my lunch. Quite a tidy little aerodrome & all the people seemed friendly enough, would be shame if it does close.

Nice shiny bizjet there too (possibly a Beechjet 400)

Fried Chicken

stiknruda
31st May 2005, 20:34
The folk at Sheffield are very friendly and helpful, I've PPR'd for Sunday and they have promised to find space in Hangar 2 for my pocket rocket.

50 litres of fuel - I'll try but probably won't have that much ullage.

Stik

helicopter-redeye
5th Jun 2005, 19:55
Welcome to Democracy comrade and the people's southern republic.

We enjoyed the free air display in the overhead.

h-r:)

stiknruda
6th Jun 2005, 15:09
:) :) :)

they are very very nice people!

QNH 1013
6th Jun 2005, 16:56
Stik, Didn't realise one of them (Pitts pilots) was you, or would have tried to come over and say hello. I was flying the Chipmunk but not much of a gap between customers at the time you were there. My customers liked the display too.

stiknruda
6th Jun 2005, 22:03
QNH - you are far too kind.

All I intended to do was to take MichealJP59 for a loop and swoop in the general handling area but ATC had a much more "fun" plan: "Please play in the o/head!" I kept it all well above 1500'agl for the noise to permeate far and wide!

I showed Mike an aileron roll, he immediately showed me two more then we went off and I looped, Mike looped, Mike looped again and floated in 0G far better. A roll off the top followed by a 1/2 Cuban into an avalanche into a stall turn, 1/2 slow roll to inverted............... still inverted........... 1/2 slow roll to errect, big wing over to final and then a pretty poor landing!

A couple of beers in The Place in Broomhill, then a quiet but nice old pub for an abf (absloute bloody final) then back to t'hotel for some zees.

The three of us left today at 14H15 (I'd been to "school" all morning whilst the other two went shopping). V obliging controller allowed us a 3 ship formation departure.

I LOVE SHEFFIELD CITY AIRPORT

Stik

ps - probably back next week

MichaelJP59
6th Jun 2005, 23:02
Must add my thanks to Stik. I enjoyed the display from the front seat as well - saw some angles of Sheffield I'd never seen before:)

Now back to the Cessna 152... it will seem somewhat tame...

Floose
7th Jun 2005, 13:09
I was no 3 with Stik and must add that I loved Sheffield too. Perhaps next time we can arrange a longer display!!? Nice to meet you MichaelJP59

Fast Erect
7th Jun 2005, 18:10
Stik.....

Minor point thought it may be, and although he thinks he is a 'controller'........Sheffield Radio is just that, and nothing more.

Ginge_One
7th Jun 2005, 20:39
FE,

As one of 4 fellas that work in the tower, I think you're being a bit harsh tarring us all with the same brush!!!

stiknruda
7th Jun 2005, 21:29
Chap in the tower was very nice and helpful and as far as I'm concerned could have been SATCO or a leprechaun - it made no difference to me! I appreciated the kindness and the help.

Next time, hopefully, Flossie #3 will do his solo bit - absolutely awesome!

Ginge_One
8th Jun 2005, 09:22
Thanks stik, you're more than welcome.

Unfortunately, our "supportive" neighbours didn't enjoy it quite as much, and flooded the council switch board with complaints!!! :mad: :mad:

So, after recieving a few stern words from the management this morning, I'm afraid they'll be no more fun in the overhead at Sheffield!

It was good while it lasted though!! :D

MichaelJP59
8th Jun 2005, 09:28
Wonder what the neighbours were complaining about then?

Was it because they weren't warned about the free air display?

Or was it the office managers moaning because the staff were distracted:)

stiknruda
8th Jun 2005, 09:55
G1,

I am very sorry if I have caused upset.

Drop me a PM if appropriate with an address and I'll write a letter of apology.

Stik

Minty Fresh
8th Jun 2005, 10:05
Stik - They tend to be habitual complainers who did insufficient research when purchasing a house! "Wonder wot that strip of Tarmac's for ???"

Enjoyed the show and its a shame they won't continue.

As for the Airport Management - anything that makes it look like an Airport - well they're bound to get arsey about that!!!

Thanks 4 the show

Minty

Ginge_One
8th Jun 2005, 10:52
Minty, I agree with every word..

Stik, honestly, there is no need to apologise to anyone. Your performance was spot on and there were plenty of people on the ground that were well impressed!! As minty said, several of our neighbours have nothing better to do than wake up in a morning and think "What can I complain about today!"

MyData
8th Jun 2005, 12:17
I find it unbelievable that people complained. Quite staggering for a one off short flight - just who are these people? They'll be complaining next that the noise from the M1 is too much and demanding it be closed.

With Sheffield being one of my local spots I was hoping to pop down the next time you were in town.

Instead you might have to fly to Crosland Moor and I'll be able to watch the 'display' from my back garden ;-)

topcat450
8th Jun 2005, 13:11
Would a few letters of support go anyway towards countering the complaints? or would it fall on deaf ears?

Minty - I think you've got it spot on there.

helicopter-redeye
8th Jun 2005, 14:09
after recieving a few stern words from the management this morning, I'm afraid they'll be no more fun in the overhead at Sheffield

We'll now there's a thing.

Interestingly, from right underneath, it was less noisy that the constant drone of the nearby M1/ M18; heavy mining lorries from t'big 'ole opposite and that blasted red helicopter going overhead.

(NB 'flooded' the switchboard would be the man down the road with a portable autodialer - he does double glazing as well).

Keep Sheffield Flying

NB more, next time do it over HQ Redeye to the west. No complaints from there

Fast Erect
8th Jun 2005, 17:47
Ginge....

I suspect I know who you are, and I apologise for the slur on your good self.
Me thinks you know to whom I refer though.:ok:

Ginge_One
8th Jun 2005, 17:59
No Problem FE,

I know exactly what you mean mate :ok:

stiknruda
9th Jun 2005, 21:08
I'll be at EGSY tomorrow, wx permitting. eta 10L dep 13L

no aeros, no noise, no smoke!

Stik

helicopter-redeye
10th Jun 2005, 06:25
Cloud base overcast at 1400 - 1600ft. Would'nt be so much space to smoke anyway ....

McFunkletrumpet
24th Jun 2005, 10:04
From Popular Flying November 1989.
"The city of Sheffield in South Yorkshire is set to get its own airport by 1993,following the decision to allow construction at Tinsley Park once the open cast mining of coal is completed at the site. The city council have agreed that the coal can continue to be mined up until February 1993, after which the appropriate work will be carried out on the open cast site to stabilise the land form needed for the opening of the airport four months later.
Sheffield is the largest English city without its own airport and such a development is sure to help regenerate the local economy and bring much needed jobs to a long term unemployment blackspot. Nice to see a new airport being built for a change, instead of the sorry saga of airfield closures"

So There!!! It must be true....it was in Popular Flying.

helicopter-redeye
24th Jun 2005, 10:42
... all because Mr Scargill used to enjoy a round of golf on Tinsley Park golf course.

If had played on Beauchief we would have had an airport in the West of the City instead...

FullyFlapped
24th Jun 2005, 15:13
I was at Sheffield yesterday : the apron was absolutely jam-packed with both FW and egg-beaters. Not enough room to swing a Peel development manager around by his wotsits ....

it's a bloody shame if it does go ....

FF :ok:

helicopter-redeye
24th Jun 2005, 16:43
Its quite full at present becaise of the three extra H circles at the end. This has taken out about 6 FW parks.

A lot of people FW and RW are parking outside because of the hangerage cost. If more aircraft and rotary were put away (there is space) the congestion goes down.

As you observe, shame when it goes. Aviation has had a kick start locally (there never used to be anything flying over), now there is lots.

Noah Zark.
24th Jun 2005, 19:04
The thought keeps occuring of all of the companies that were conned into setting up at the "new, prestigeous development" right alongside Europe' s latest airport, one hour away from two of the busiest travel hubs in Europe (Heathrow & Amsterdam) Yada yada yada.........
Suddenly, no airport! Whaaaaaaat?
When is the penny going to drop? (Thinks, eyup lad, I think we've had one stuffed up us 'ere. Best say nowt, don't want to look an even bigger pillock!)
To the Captains of Industry in my city who might just be reading this I say "Wake your bloody ideas up. When its gone its gone. There will never be another !
You are about to have the biggest egg-under-the -hat routine done on you ever to be witnessed. And you will hear the laughter forever!" :sad:

stiknruda
24th Jun 2005, 21:45
I have a nagging suspicion that I shall be there again on Wed 29th, in my two seat bipe!

Sheffield (door to door) is 3.5hrs in a car from mine but less than an hour by air plus 20 mins by cab for door to door! I love Sheffield City airport.

If all UK towns/cities were as easily accesible as Shef'l'd, I'd probably bite the bullet and buy a V35B Bonanza, do my IR and stop harking on about aerobatics, etc!

Stik

helicopter-redeye
25th Jun 2005, 16:20
The thing that would make the place really good would be out of hours use by based and/ pre auth'ed aircraft (like Gamston 0600hrs to 2100hrs) or HIAL sites.

The it would be possible to get places for work not just pleasure.

Noah Zark.
25th Jun 2005, 21:39
H-R,
The trouble with that one is that it might start to make the place look viable, and we can't have that, can we?
As in your previous, the hangarage costs, same as the landing fees, are all being jacked up to make it unaffordable for a lot of people to hangar their a/c, so no revenue from the nice new hangars they've put up, and then you've got the end game-"See, told you it was a waste of time. We've given it a fair go."
Whilst out of the side of someone's mouth-"Now, get it shut!"

Minty Fresh
14th Jul 2005, 11:36
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/south_yorkshire/4676715.stm[/URL]

"Independant Report" generally paid for by said Airport

"Heres the brief - this is the conclusion - pad the middle for us"

"Wilco"

MichaelJP59
14th Jul 2005, 12:09
"If the airport shuts before 2007, the city could benefit by up to £500,000..."

up to, i.e. £1

What blatant spin-doctoring, as others have said, they clearly decided what decision they wanted before they commissioned the report.

helicopter-redeye
14th Jul 2005, 12:17
if an early release were approved, up to £500,000 could be transferred to an early release fund to improve links to the Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport or spent on marketing Sheffield overseas as a tourist destination.

It's funny enough seeing "Doncaster" on a airport departure board, but ....

Wonder if it's the airport only or if the heliport bit will stay (Sheffield International Heliport).

Incidently - links to DSRHA. It's quicker to drive to East Midlands Airport than to Finningley. That's because there is a big motorway going that way. And, are Sheffield going to give money to Doncaster? Nope, thought not.

Also, Manchester and East Mids have real business flights, not just holiday charters.

Wonder how much of the £500,000 will be availble to the aviation businesses at EGSY who will then have to "start again" somewhere else.

No? Thought not ... Lets spend the bung on 'marketing Sheffield as an overseas tourist destination'. You too can sing at the club used in the Full Monty ...

Anybody remember the World Student Games ?

Same gullable guys and gals. Same result.

Noah Zark.
14th Jul 2005, 16:35
It would be much more attractive and certainly more feasible if the prospective "overseas tourists " for Sheffield had an airport within the city limits to fly in to, as we used to have!

MichaelJP59
14th Jul 2005, 16:56
The idea of Sheffield as a destination for overseas tourists is laughable.

What's more, it doesn't need it, Sheffield gets more than enough visitors with its vast seasonal student population.

What Sheffield needs is more quality businesses like Leeds and Manchester have. A convenient airport has to be a factor in that - 63 minutes surface transport to MAN it says in the report. Yeah, right, at 3.00am in the morning maybe!

helicopter-redeye
15th Jul 2005, 07:48
From personal, bitter, weekly experience I can state absolutely that Sheffield (West at that) to Manchester Airport (car park nearest to T3) is 77 mins best case starting at 04:25Hrs in the morning, driven 'at a fast pace' over the goats track.

63 mins? Not within the speed limit.

No doubt the same 'consultants' if working on a railways project would also say Sheffield has good links to London by rail ....

Ginge_One
19th Jul 2005, 08:24
Taken from Sheffield City Councils website:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=1912

"Early Release for Sheffield City Airport

Following an independent report earlier this year which showed that Sheffield City Airport was not commercially viable to continue to operate, Sheffield City Council’s Cabinet have agreed to early release from the 10 year lease, subject to successful negotiations with the Airport's operator. It will now go to Council for a final decision on 27th July.

An Early Release Fund could now be used either to improve bus links to Robin Hood Doncaster Sheffield Airport or to be spent on marketing Sheffield abroad as a tourism destination. "

Looks like Mr Peel's master plan is coming together nicely!!!:mad: :mad:

MichaelJP59
19th Jul 2005, 08:41
"...was not commercially viable..."

From the report it seems that similar small airports in different parts of the country are allowed to count the commercial success of the associated business parks to offset the airport costs.

Why is that not done in the Sheffield airport analysis?

As for improved bus links to DSA, it just shows how far we've sunk - from an international airport with an excellent service to AMS to a new bus to Finningley:mad:

Minty Fresh
19th Jul 2005, 11:02
Because that wouldn't have been the result they were after!!!

They're seperate companies now. Although the Business Park owns half of the Airport along with Peel they are in fact seperate entities.

They provide the cashflow etc to the Airport but the companies are nicely split up - just in case the Airport didn't work !!!

helicopter-redeye
28th Sep 2005, 07:54
It seems our old friends York Aviation, writers of the report on EGSY, have popped up in the news again.

From yesterday's Times ...

The report from York Aviation consultants show airports act as catalysts to local economies and are particularly encouraging to the knowledge based industries that are considered essential to Britain's success as an ecomony.

Other extracts from the report demonstrated the number of jobs supported by airports in the UK and how a further 672,000 jobs could be supported by 2015.

So, one airport has no future but as for the rest ...

Hey! Where's my watch gone ;)

NB the scary thing is that York Aviation Consultants are rumoured to be 'advising' Oban Council about the future of Oban Airport ..:hmm:

wombat13
29th Sep 2005, 09:42
I visited this field a few weeks back with my brother. We were both taken aback by the friendliness and professionalism of the place.

From the tower, to the lady on reception whom we paid for fuel (no landing fees on 50l uptake), to the fire crew who when grabbing a bite at the rather nice cafe received a call of smoke on the perimeter and were past me and my bro' faster than a hare at a coursing event - professional to a man / woman.

Point of this message? I can understand us in GA being upset at the loss of such a high quality field, but to the staff who IMHO offer well above average service, I take my hat off to you for staying above it.

Thanks for making my visit so enjoyable.

The Wombat

Piltdown Man
29th Sep 2005, 12:54
I'd suggest that the place will be closed. Nice brownfield site, lots of houses (probably "affordable" as well), nice little bung for the right person person on the council to be a "consultant" or to get a directorship on the developers board! Aviation was doomed from the start. It was big enough (although bigger is better), it had the passengers, but it was difficult to justify taking an airliner there without a respectable radar service and controlled airspace - too many bug-smashers. But too few of them to make it pay!