PDA

View Full Version : before I die........Reno?

windy1
6th Apr 2005, 19:11
Done Oshkosh and Sun n Fun. But what about the Reno air races?

Is is worth it , what's the ratio of entertainment to hanging around, is it hard work getting there, is this really a spectator sport, how many days do I need to get the picture?

views welcomed.

treadigraph
6th Apr 2005, 22:12
Go! Even if only for one day (make it the Gold Sunday!) the sight and sound of the unlimiteds going bananas is awesome. And I should be frowning and shaking my head at the abuse of historic airframes and engines...

The other classes are spectacular as well, plus there are airshow acts between the races, and you can acquire a pit pass and wander amongst the racers. You won't get bored and you won't regret it... I promise! I hope to get back there this year...

foxmoth
6th Apr 2005, 22:56
Just remind me of the date please;)

DX Wombat
7th Apr 2005, 09:25
Whilst you are thinking of new things to do, why don't you give the Royal Flying Doctor Service Outback Air Safari a try? It is held in alternate years - there is one this year. It is great fun and raises money for a very worthy cause. :ok:

david viewing
7th Apr 2005, 12:22
I flew there in a 172 from Canada in 2000. It's a personal thing, but I'd say you'd have to be fairly keen on racing (autosport or something) to really get into it.

It's very impressive though, especially since you can see the entire course from the stand (Be sure to pay extra for the special reserved seats, take an icom or similar, and plenty of sun cream). Before I went, I'd imagined that they'd take off, dissapear over the horizon and re-appear at the finish line 20 mins later.

http://www.viewing.com/reno/field.jpg

I especially liked the fact that most unlimited competitors have some British content, be it Sea Fury airframe or Merlin/Griffon engine.

You can buy a pit pass and actually talk to competitors, so technically it can be quite interesting. For me, the flight there, Mt Ranier, the Pacific cascades, Crater Lake, Oregon's central desert, etc etc was much more interesting than the event itself. But if you've never actually seen a forced landing, this is the place to be!

KZ8
7th Apr 2005, 19:34
I agree with treadigraph. It's great! I'm trying to save for a trip this year.

Also, if you fly in to San Francisco you might consider visiting Yosemite National Park or Lake Tahoe on the way there or back. Lots to see and do.

KZ8

treadigraph
7th Apr 2005, 23:03
Lake Tahoe for sure, we stayed there the night after, fantastic place. Drove down the Owens Valley to Mojave thereafter.

Re David Viewing's post, forced landings are frequent, but you must be prepared that fatalties are also an occasional fact at Reno. We watched Gary Levitz's "Learstang" break up during a race, and seeing the wreckage disappear end over end behind a ridge rates amongst my saddest life memories. But please don't let it put you off...

stiknruda
8th Apr 2005, 07:41
KZ8 - I'll come with you - I'm sure that some of our other friends would also be interested:ok:

Stik

javelin
8th Apr 2005, 09:24
Third time offender now !

We go Mon usually, fly to San Fran, the flights are quicker and cheaper with no en route stops. The drive up takes about 4 - 5 hours and is very nice.

Hotels in Reno vary in cost depending on the day of the week, midweek, expect to pay $40 per night, Fri - Sun expect $140 for the same room, don't skimp, it's not worth it. Don't forget it's a gambling and - er - recreation town.

The event starts Wed but kicks in at the weekend, Sunday is the Unlimited Gold race which is where the 'problem children' come out to pay as the announcer said.

During the show, you will get plenty of other aerial displays including the odd visit from the military displaying all sorts, soemtimes you will see F16's or similar going round the course which is quite spectacular. What is stunning though is that the time the F16 posted was not much quicker than Dago Red, the Unlimited winner.

If the American forces teams are displaying expect crowd crossing displays - they have no sense of crowd line safety yet!

Tickets are not cheap but a discount is usually available through Scolari's, a local supermarket near the field.

Here's the web link

http://www.airrace.org/indexJS.php

Go - before they ban it !

p.s. Whatever you do, don't leave early. There is some excellent flying after the show finishes each day and if you are in the queue to get out you will miss it. Once the show finishes, you can go through into the VIP area for a great view. We saw the first impromptu jet race in 1999 or 2000 between the Stoli Migs and an L39 and T33.

PeterJfrancis
8th Apr 2005, 18:31
I went to Reno 2 years ago , but could only stay for 2 hours as we were driving between Vegas and San Francisco (over 2 days).
I really wish I'd booked a room and made a day of it.

Did I enjoy it ? :D Silly question , apparently I had a daft grin on my face all the way to SF.
The sight of those aircraft rounding the pylons with only inches between them is burned into my memory :O

(Now where did I put that West Coast holiday brochure)