PDA

View Full Version : Flying for Fun

UberPilot
5th Apr 2005, 12:14
I apologise of this question may seem stupid.

As I shall shortly be getting my PPL, and yet todate only ever flown in Military training a/c, what do people prefer flying in, what do the females (that you're surely trying to show off to!!) find more impressive?

1) A 2 hour sick-inducing jaunt in a Firefly/aerobatic a/c ?

2) A sedate 'look at the countryside/your house' cruise around the skies in a tourer?

Finally, how long (flying hours) is le touquet and Le Mans from Biggin Hill.

Thanks

Kolibear
5th Apr 2005, 12:48
For one ghastly moment I thought that this post was going to be about our very own 'Flying for Fun'.

how long (flying hours) is le touquet and Le Mans from Biggin Hill

May I suggest that 5 minutes with a chart , a ruler and a bit of mental arithmetic will give you an answer quicker than pprune will ever do.

Windy Militant
5th Apr 2005, 13:01
Boys toys rarely impress the fairer sex.
I've observed over the years that the journey is usually tolerated rather than enjoyed and that the final destination plays a big part in how much will be endured enroute. If said flight ends up with a good lunch and a chance to go shopping then you'll earn far more brownie points than if you arrive at a field full of old aeroplanes or nasty, noisy, smelly motor cars. ;)

foxmoth
5th Apr 2005, 15:18
depends on the person you are taking, the girl most would like to end up with would enjoy the 2 hour aeros trip, the girl most end up with would rather the weekend in Paris.:p :cool:

slim_slag
5th Apr 2005, 15:37
Two hours of aeros! Only girls who could handle that would be the old eastern european shot putters. Plenty of ladies out there like flying in little planes, if you find one keep them, makes it easier to get the flying related expenses approved. Seeing the smile on your face should be all they need in return :ok:

Legalapproach
5th Apr 2005, 15:42
Do you mean 2 hours or 20 minutes?

Not sure I would want to meet a woman who could survive two hours of aeros at one sitting!

The simple answer is if you want to stay with her/her to stay with you and you be allowed to keep flying don't put her off and don't show off. Nice gentle turns and smooth flying are likely to impress far more that throwing her around the sky unless she is thoroughly used to light aircraft.

Destination can be a winner. Le Mans was about two hours from Biggin last time I went there but that involved crossing the channel the long way and that in itself can make your pax nervous. Never done Biggin Le touqet but it can't be far.

Rheims Prunay is a good destination. About 2 hrs flight, short sea crossing, close to town and the obvious delights of Champagne country.

Flik Roll
5th Apr 2005, 16:54
Two hours of aeros! Only girls who could handle that would be the old eastern european shot putters

Thank you Slim_Slag....

I'm British and I don't think I look like your Helga style shot putter....:mad:

There are many boys/men who can't handle 3 mins of aeros....:E

PS If you are looking for someone who can handle 2 hrs of aeros I'm your girl!

As a girl, I would rather be thrown about the sky, my mother however would prefer to go somewhere and doesn't enjoy bimbling around the local area.
Most ladies i guess would like to go somewhere nice, perhaps to have a champagne picnic - IOW, picnic on the beach? Bearing in mind that if you are drinking i suggest a night stopover!!

UberPilot
5th Apr 2005, 17:42
Apologies, my original post was errornous. You're quite right, 2 hrs Aero's would turn anybody white.

It would appear then that destination wins; Flying to France for the lash sounds quite appealing, although one would want to avoid the turbulance on the way home for obvious reasons. I'll have to see what I can find first.......

Penguina
5th Apr 2005, 19:02
For one ghastly moment I thought that this post was going to be about our very own 'Flying for Fun'.

...and I thought it was going to be about the PFA ralley. Nothing that interesting though! :}

drauk
5th Apr 2005, 19:08
For quick 'n' easy answers to "how long to fly from X to Y", go to http://fly.dsc.net/u/Plan

Put in Biggin Hill and Le Mans and make sure you select "Any" from the country list. Hit Plan. Bingo. World's fastest flight planner, bar none.

benhurr
5th Apr 2005, 21:58
The "ladies" arent interested in the flight, they are only interested if you look smart and clean and are dressed in uniform....

Or so my mum says...:)

mazzy1026
5th Apr 2005, 22:04
I am sure that if you find a nice girl, who has never been in a light a/c, then just the very experience of getting into the aircraft would get the juices flowing :E

Hehe, being more realistic, I am sure a nice pleasant flight over where she lives, and a little "dabble" on the controls will go a long way :D

Whirlygig
5th Apr 2005, 22:11
Wouldn't settle for anything less than Sikorsky 76 to impress me - depends on which ladies you want to impress, !

Cheers

Whirlygig

mazzy1026
5th Apr 2005, 22:18
Right then, over to the hanger for the Citation.............. :{

BroomstickPilot
6th Apr 2005, 08:39
'Safest thing is to find a lady pilot to fly with. A shared interest always helps a relationship.

Broomstick.

Whirlybird
6th Apr 2005, 11:14
Wouldn't settle for anything less than Sikorsky 76 to impress me - depends on which ladies you want to impress, !

Right on, Whirlygig. :ok:

Being taken for a spin in someone's hired C152 doesn't do it, lads; I can fly that myself. I was mildly impressed by the chap who let me take the controls of his Mooney, and even more so when he asked if I'd like to really learn to fly it.

But if you want to take me flying in your MD500, Gazelle, EC135, or anything similar......... :ok: :ok: :ok:

Meanwhile, I live in hope.......

Jucky
6th Apr 2005, 11:51
Would a Lynx do?:E :E :E

Penguina
6th Apr 2005, 12:01
A shared interest always helps a relationship.

Don't think he was after a 'relationship'! :hmm: ;)

(You want to impress me, I fly, you pay!)

Whirlybird
6th Apr 2005, 20:18
Jucky,
A Lynx will definitely do! :ok: You offering? I promise faithfully to be ever so, ever so impressed.

Penguina,
Yes, I agree; I'd definitely be impressed if anyone offered to pay for my flying. Hasn't happened yet. :{ C'mon guys, doesn't anyone want to impress me?

mazzy1026
7th Apr 2005, 11:55
Back in my cadet days, I was lucky enough to have several flights in the Gazelle, Puma, Chinook and the Lynx - not at the controls tho. Flying low through the country was very impressive, especially when the rookie cadet gets hung out the back by the loadmaster :E

Pitts2112
11th Apr 2005, 16:59
Funnily enough, Stik and I were just discussing this very topic this weekend (as well as a fair few others...some even involving airplanes). We concluded that flying and airplanes has virtually no pulling power whatsoever, except in the mind of the puller. Several reasons sprung to mind. Women generally aren't interested in airplanes and things related and they don't tend to hang out at airports. With flying, the only person actively doing anything, usually, is the pilot, so everyone else is along for the ride and can get bored pretty quickly. For passengers, flying is usually about the destination and purpose of the flight rather than the flying itself.

This was brought home clearly to me when I joined a mate down on his boat for the weekend. Then I realized I'd taken up the wrong hobby. First of all, you can't invite people down to the airplane for the weekend and, secondly, on a boat there's usually enough for everyone to do something if they want and, if they don't, they can always lay in the sun with a book or make a cup of tea. And you can carry on a conversation without the hassle of headsets and squelch.

Having said all that, I'll stick to flying and do my pulling elsewhere, so to speak! :-)

feet dry
11th Apr 2005, 21:18
It was the extended cross country around kent and sussex that succeeded for me including a couple of turns round Beachy Head lighthouse.....that and getting slightly mislaid somewhere around Gatport Airwick "Report at whatplace over?"...Lost? No I know exactly where I am!!

Anywho, once you've found the M26/M25 then you're laffing right???

P.S. This does not in any way diminish my view that the only proper way is to avoid the 6 Ps....but she is a stunner!!

Flik Roll
11th Apr 2005, 22:11
Circling round beachy head...the spot in sussex with the highest suicide rate...:\ :)

Sussex coast is stunning; particularly in the evening in the summer.

AerBabe
12th Apr 2005, 06:19
Finally, how long (flying hours) is le touquet and Le Mans from Biggin Hill. About 15 minutes to 6 hours.