PDA

View Full Version : Uniform protocol for funerals

Jimlad
3rd Apr 2005, 22:10
Chaps,

Please excuse my ignorance, but as a part time pusser and full time civil servant(yes I know, scum of the earth), I have a question on funerals and won't be able to ask unit in time.

A close relative with life long ties to the military has recently died, and as a mark of respect those active service personnel attending the funeral will be asked to go in uniform (1's) where possible. I have never been to a funeral since I was 7 and certainly not in uniform so I have 2 questions which I would be grateful if they could be answered.

1. Is it appropriate to wear ones sword to funeral given that the individual bought it for me, took a great deal of pride in it and would probably be pleased to 'see' me wear it. I know it may not be rig, but I recall seeing Charles wearing his at grannies funeral.

2. Does one wear caps on or off in church for funeral services?

Sorry for dumb questions, but helpful advice would be appreciated at this very difficult time.

TVM

Red Line Entry
3rd Apr 2005, 22:21
Cannot give you the official line from the book, but from my own experience:

We wore swords for the funeral - basically as a mark of respect in being as fully "rigged up" as possible.

Took hats off on entering the church, and redoffed (?) them on exit

L J R
3rd Apr 2005, 22:49
There is etiquette and there is personal preference.

Should YOU wish to dress in Swords etc - Do so, especially if the individual was REALLY close.

Wear what YOU think is appropriate. What are they going to do.....kick you out of a funeral??? If you think that the deceased wanted you to wear anything - go ahead and wear it.....

BTW RIP to your colleague / mate / boss / friend.

BigGrecian
3rd Apr 2005, 23:36
Details for dress and individual funerals are normally in SROs.

Pontius Navigator
4th Apr 2005, 07:21
I'm with Jimlad, I have a funeral on Thursday. No SROs in this csae either and the cremonial officer was not in his office at BP. Make it up as you go along and expect the unexpected.

As you expect others in uniform too make sure your have enough kit to match up - arm bands, medals, gloves.

rivetjoint
4th Apr 2005, 07:58
I know a friend of mine did similar, take every bit of ceremonial kit you own and put it in a bag in the back of your car. Get to the church have a quick look round the car park then pull out of the bag whatever everyone else is wearing.

henry crun
4th Apr 2005, 08:09
Hats in church: I remember the first service funeral I attended being growled at by a grizzled veteran of those affairs, "Take yer at orf in the ouse of Gawd".

Jimlad
4th Apr 2005, 09:42
thanks guys, your help is appreciated. The funeral in question is for a close relative who was in the army during the war and then had a lifelong affiliation to his regiment. Given the circumstances I feel it best to wear uniform, and as he took great pride in buying me a sword when I was comissioned I'd really like to wear it there. I just want to make sure I wont be breaking some arcane standing order.

TVM!

moony
4th Apr 2005, 20:56
Having sought advice from the SWO for my father's funeral, hat outside the church, medals, armband and gloves. Don't know about the sword but would suggest yes.
moony

Sloppy Link
9th Apr 2005, 19:25
Sevicewomen keep hats on.

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2005, 18:36
So there we were, three officers from different units all unknown to each other. Fortunately all had medals available and the Fg Off had a pocket full of black arm bands!