PDA

View Full Version : German Licence - Long Range Exam

andychess
3rd Apr 2005, 19:22
Hi,

I'm considering applying for jobs in Germany and wondered if anyone can tell me if the JAR ATPL is considered by the German authorities to include the Long Range Theory exam, as this is often quoted as an extra requirement.

If not, can anyone let me know how one goes about getting the qualification.

Danke im Voraus!

Andy

DBate
4th Apr 2005, 15:37
The long range exam had to be made in pre Jar ATPL times. With the introduction of JAR ATPL exams it has been abolished since the subjects previously asked in the long range exams are now part of the JAR exams.

So I guess you should be OK with a JAR ATPL, as long as you made your tests and your whole training according to JAR.

I'm not shure if it's really that way, it's been a while since I took my LR exams.

But you can ask the LBA (Luftfahrt Bundesamt = German Authorities) directly.
Phonenumber and E-Mail should be on their internet site:

www.lba.de (german)
http://www.lba.de/englisch/englisch.htm (english).

So long,
DBate

stefair
7th Apr 2005, 16:42
Hey Andy,

As far as I know the Long Range Exam had to be added to the former German ATPL. However, to make sure drop this lady a line at the Luftfahrtbundesamt: [email protected].

Hope it helps.

May I ask you why you're planning on working for a German carrier?

Nightrider
10th Apr 2005, 17:00
The long-range rating was and is a pure German issue. Anyone holding a JAR-ATPL has this rating included in the licence.
In the 1970s Lufthansa was in need of pilots and the influence used lead to a lot of ATPLs without this rating. Lufthansa pilots always had the rating included as part of the extensive training programme, it was basically a special ATPL for pilots operating mainly in Europe, the limitation was that on passenger flights (only!!!) outside Europe a maximum great circle distance of 500 NM was allowed.
Most non-LH pilots took the 4 weeks course and the exams only after a new job dictated this.
So, to answer your question, only in a German ATPL (not the JAR issue) the long-range may be missing.