PDA

View Full Version : EFATO MPEG Anyone?

LD Max
2nd Apr 2005, 22:19
Has anyone got an MPEG of an EFATO (preferrably with a turnback)? Probably as rare as rocking horse doo doos I know, but the CAA use one in their safety videos.

(I did ask, but was told it was from a German Gliding Website - searched with no luck).

I'm helping a buddy put together a PowerPoint presentation on EFATO and something like this would be useful.

Thanks

Keygrip
3rd Apr 2005, 16:30
tonker - you are being negative (and maybe clever).

There is a 'movie' of a turnback out there on the 'net - it's just a case of where.

Keygrip
3rd Apr 2005, 18:43
My, my - little bit touchy there aren't we.

You were not asked for your opinion on turning back or not turning back - totally irrelevant (at this point).

The question was "Does anybody know where the video is" I guess in your case the short answer was "No".

tonker
3rd Apr 2005, 20:24
Due to the predicatbly negative comments from the "moderator" i shall just leave the link found about the turnaround and wish LD Max good luck in his presentation. All previous posts left in good faith together with my obviously unwelcome "opinion" erased.

http://www.auf.asn.au/magazine/turnback.html

G-MANN
3rd Apr 2005, 21:29
Interesting article Tonker.

G-MANN

tonker
4th Apr 2005, 07:37
I have always doubted the need to pitch up in a piston single to gain height upon the engine stopping for various reasons, and after reading the article detailing the slow response of a pilot who KNOWS something is about to happen and the rapid decelleration of the aircraft towards a stall speed it confirms what i believed.

I'm convinced in a Lighting etc with a RAF pilot a pitch up would happen quick enough and at a fast enough speed to be useful, but with a Bloggs or indeed myself i now only beleive it would turn a bad situation(engine failure) into a dire one(engine failure/60kts say/and a pitch up !). I'm sure you can all fill in the rest for this scenario.

destructor
14th Apr 2005, 22:05
The EFATO question can be covered in a slightly different way:- Planning!! teaching the student to make the his/her decision before T/O. Knowing the field from which you generally fly it makes sense to plan what to do depending on altitude and the available options with the help of an instructor. Having had an EFATO at 300 ft having just turned cross wind because of terain, but having already made my decision months before meant I managed to get back on the runway as paddy fields are most likely fatal. This save the few seconds of time looking at the options. Obviously the first time you visit an airfield it is not easy to make these plans but a quick look as you arrive and a word with the locals may help. Just my thoughts on an old problem.

MadamBreakneck
25th Apr 2005, 21:08
here's best video I can offer - does it help?
it's the result of an experiment with my flight simulator software rather than the real thing...
<http://www.bumble-bee.demon.co.uk/EFATO-1.avi>

It's about 5MB, so not a modem download unless you've got time.

Cheers
madamB