PDA

View Full Version : What is a Robin DR400-180 like to fly.

Obs cop
2nd Apr 2005, 18:42
Simply as the title says, what is one of these wood and fabric French things like to fly?

There is one I believe at Tatenhill and I'm quite interested in flying it.

Thanks in advance

Obs cop

Flyin'Dutch'
2nd Apr 2005, 18:56
They are brilliant.

Easy to fly, crisp handling, brilliant visibility, easy to get in and out off, comfortable, have a stick, good load haulers, good cruise speed etc etc.

Have a go, you will not regret it.

skydriller
2nd Apr 2005, 19:17
They're Great!!!

.....And all that stuff Flyin Dutch said too.......

Regards, SD

Mike Cross
2nd Apr 2005, 19:26
Ditto!:O

One thing to watch out for though:-

It is extremely tempting to put one hand on top of the seatback to lower oneself into position.

I had landed and parked up. Reached up and behind me to unlatch the canopy and suddenly BANG! I was flat on my back.
Fatigue crack of the seat frame, could have had catastrophic results on the approach or climb out. If I had one I'd try and find a way to stop people doing it.

Mike

foxmoth
2nd Apr 2005, 19:38
Go and fly it, you will find it much nicer than the Usual American Spam Cans:yuk:

Rod1
2nd Apr 2005, 20:13
Very very good! There is nothing in the class that gets close.

Rod1

Say again s l o w l y
2nd Apr 2005, 23:11
Lovely!! Handles beautifully, carries a good load etc. as mentioned before.

So much nicer than a PA 28 or 172. You won't regret it.

skydriller
3rd Apr 2005, 04:27
Mike wrote:
It is extremely tempting to put one hand on top of the seatback to lower oneself into position. Reached up and behind me to unlatch the canopy and suddenly BANG! I was flat on my back.
Fatigue crack of the seat frame :ouch:

I remember our instructor here broke ours while getting in it one day:p :} :{

Had the whole Aeroclub cracking up as we had only 5 mins before been discussing with a first solo student (over a glass of bubbly obviously!:ok: ) how improved the performance was without his weight sat next to you...:p :}

Regards SD..

Flik Roll
3rd Apr 2005, 05:52
It got my vote - nice postion to fly in; sitting on top rather than in. It's not a Cessna and has a stick...well the one I flew did!

squawking 7700
3rd Apr 2005, 12:41
The DR400 that's 'for hire' at Tatenhill is actually a 160.
It's still quick though compared with an equivalent PA28 or 172.

As I understand it, it's only available with the owner's approval.

As for it's flying characteristics, everything said above, but it's a bit 'French' some might say quirky compared to a spam can with
the panel being even more of an ergonomic mess than most aircraft.

One thing, don't forget to leave the flaps down when parked, or somebody'll stand on 'em when getting in!

skydriller
3rd Apr 2005, 14:56
Obs Cop,

Just so as to avoid any confusion, BRL is I believe talking about a Robin 2160i 2-seater (from pics) which is aerobatic.

DO NOT attempt to aerobat a DR400 !! Though you will still have lots of fun.....

Regards, SD..

bletchleytugie
3rd Apr 2005, 18:22
Windrushers Gliding Club took delivery of our new tug yesterday - Munster to Bicester direct. I've been allowed to undo the engine cowling and look inside but not yet allowed to touch it.

I shall report back on the conversion from my faithful Chipmunk and Cub.

Regards

Bletchleytugie:{

BRL
3rd Apr 2005, 23:30
Oooopppsss.!!!! Just realised the error......... :O :O :O :O

A and C
4th Apr 2005, 21:24
Overal the aircraft is a very stable platform with well harmonised controls but may be a touch heavy in roll , this seems to exibit its self mainly at low speed but roll control remains efective even after the inboard section of the wing has stalled but abuse of this desirable atribute can lead to a rapid wing drop.

Those of you who have flown the draggy offerings from the USA will find the aircraft take a bit longer to slow to aproach speed and then needs a little more power than you might at first expect to maintain that speed.

In the climb it reqires quite a lot of rudder and if you are climbing to a cruise alititude that takes advantage of the aircrafts very clever wing then it getts a bit tiring on the foot ! , part of the very low drag of the airframe is due to the lack of cooling drag and at high weights in hot climates can lead to the oil temp to reach the red line and requires the climb to be stopped and the aircraft cruised at 75% power untill the oil temp drops.

Once at the best cruise altitude (between 6-8000ft) you will find that it will out perform most of the other aircraft in the 160-180 HP class the 160 is the most economic Robin but the 180 can lift more weight or fuel.

As said in posts above the aircraft can lift a good payload but this could well catch out the novice pilot as the take off performance differance between a lightly loaded aircraft and one at MTOW is very marked, this reflects the fact that the payload makes up a much higher percentage of MTOW than most light aircraft.

The aircraft will operate in and out of fields that most of the american aircraft won't look at but keep an eye on the performance data at high weights.

Obs cop
6th Apr 2005, 07:44
Thanks all for your comments,

Sounds like a nice aircraft so I will see how it goes,

Obs cop

waldopepper42
6th Apr 2005, 10:55
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the most striking thing (for me) about the aeroplane: the fantastic visibility!

The first time I flew in this aircraft I was continually climbing as I could not get used to just how far below the horizon you need to place the nose (compared with the Piper Archer I was used to) to fly straight and level. Add to this the fact thet the side windows come pretty much down to waist level and you have an excellent view of the world.

Very nice aeroplane!

bletchleytugie
24th Apr 2005, 21:17
Having now flown the Robin I have to agree with the positive comments previously posted. I was a bit sceptical about the flaps at first given their size, however..............

I found balancing on the main wheels during the take off roll interesting but soon found the right 'picture'

Ergonimcally its interesting, the fuel pump swich is a bit to close to the Carb heat for those of us blessed with ham fists.

It doesn't look like a Chipmunk, it does'nt smell like a Chipmunk :{ :ok but it handles like one: :ok:

Slightly off topic - we are now flying from Bicester 7 days a week so if you are passing please keep a good look out _ I llok forward to seeing some you at Compton Abbas next month.

Flyin'Dutch'
25th Apr 2005, 07:57
Waldo,

I think a visit to the opticians may be in order!

I wrote in the second post on this thread:

brilliant visibility

:}

18greens
25th Apr 2005, 21:16
If you like the DR400 try the original, the D9. Single seat open cockpit, fabulous handling.

And the cleverest thing is the cranked wing, only has positive incidence in the climb so only produces drag when the lift is needed.. clever.

waldopepper42
26th Apr 2005, 11:07
Flyin'Dutch',

Thanks - bottle bottom glasses are on order....:O