PDA

View Full Version : Bacx Ba & Balpa

cap.pulitov
2nd Apr 2005, 11:46
It appears that Balpa are looking after their BA colleagues at BACX but not BACX pilots..conflict of iterests???

Rainboe
2nd Apr 2005, 11:58
I think BALPA looks after all its members. Maybe it's the employer?

Hand Solo
2nd Apr 2005, 12:38
Yawn yawn. This has been done to death and I'm sure everyone in both outfits would be pleased not to have yet another unproductive slanging match here.

rhythm method
2nd Apr 2005, 23:46
Hand,

this was obviously not started by Capt P. to generate another BA/BACX slanging match so leave the 'debate' to those that are actually affected by the recent announcements. You are in a pretty enviable position so...:hmm:

As for those of us who are actually REALLY affected by BA (mis)managements recent attempt at the regional flying game...

...I am quite surprised at the company-wide feeling of misrepresentation (or lack of adequate representation) by BALPA. Yes, our CC are working their butts off for free, but when BACC are seen to be actively making deals to help one element of the workforce, against the interests of another BALPA PAYING part of the company... who knows where it may lead?

Separate company councils representing crew working for the same 'parent company' is undoubtedly counter-productive. Lets face it... it is known as a UNION for what reason? (Check a dictionary please).

Hand... you really ought to actually speak to some of your seconded colleagues up here in Manchester. They are no longer spouting the usual cr@p about 'them and us' cos nowadays it's 'us and us'. This really is a time when 2 company councils united will stand a chance. While the current 'divide and rule' concept is allowed to flourish, there will NEVER be any safe base or posting (BHX included).

Get those rose tinted Ray Bans off before it's too late.

RM

Dash-7 lover
4th Apr 2005, 19:18
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.................

cap.pulitov
6th Apr 2005, 15:56
Both employers want the secondees back in London..BACX want to secure jobs for its pilots, BA are desperately short of pilots at LHR However it is BALPA that tries to secure slots on RJ for secondees! At the expense of BACX pilots.. :ugh:
We all feel for individuals from both companies being affected by the BP05. We don't agree a one way traffic is a solution..Nor operating a mixed fleet with two groups on very different T'&C's. A compromise should accommodate both pilot groups. Balpa have the power and means to help sort this. As I mentioned above both managements want the same solution..
It doesn't appear that Balpa is going to change its attitude regarding lost BACX jobs and Commands..So come on New Road. Show you will help BACX in future and get some bodies back/down to LHR. Leave those who's lives are in the regions to get on with it! How about getting BACX seniority no. within BA so pilots can bid to go to LHR if they so wish?? ;)

Tandemrotor
6th Apr 2005, 17:24
cap.pulitov

I strongly suspect that when the final picture becomes clear, you will find that the BACC has been pragmatic, accomodating, and sensitive to the interests of those in BACX.

You spoke of a compromise to accomodate both pilot groups. I believe that is EXACTLY what has happened.

No doubt, you will wish to express your thanks to the BACC, when the time comes.

I confidently predict a number of secondees will choose to return to LHR rather than relocate to EDI, IOM, or INV and that there will be NO compulsory redundancies in the BACX pilot workforce. (Though with the high turnover of pilots, that was never likely - we may revisit this when BACX next recruit, if indeed they have ever ceased!)

On a more general note: You mention that;

"both managements want the same solution.."

Are you suggesting that 'management solutions' are always desirable?

I presume like me, you would like YOUR union to ensure YOUR agreements are safeguarded?

We can agree, can't we.

brain fade
6th Apr 2005, 18:27
Tandem
What about you? Staying or going?:uhoh:

Tandemrotor
6th Apr 2005, 22:04
Hi bf

Thanks for asking. As I said, the compromise is that some of us will be leaving, and some of us will be staying.

What about you? As you are Scottish based, are you hoping for an RJ seat? You MAY find secondees aren't all bad!!

I strongly agree with your views on the war in Iraq by the way!

brain fade
8th Apr 2005, 13:04
Tandem
Hope to stay up north but on the 145 preferably. Last thing i'd want is to go 'darn souff'!
May have to tho' if the good jobs up here all get taken.

Thanks for your comment re Iraq. Nice to know someone noticed.

cap.pulitov
9th Apr 2005, 15:04
Hello Tandem,
We didn't expect all secondees to go to EDI,INV,IOM as commuting to LHR is prefferable..But a bunch of our long serving Captains are about to be demoted and displaced with little options of commuting..Did the BACC think about these pilots?
If they did and have a proper compromise I will send each and every one of the BACC a letter of thanks with some flowers:)

I don't believe an arrangement to see some secondees going to LHR is an acceptable compromise to BACX Pilots..sorry!!

And as I said if BA allow some of the displaced pilots in BACX to bid to LHR to try and continue with their 'normal' lives i.e commute from their place of residence, that will be a compromise;)

Do you really want to know how much our relocation package is worth? or V.Redundancy? (Or Pay??) It is shameful. Add to this loss of Command pay, staff travel and loss of licence to demoted Captains and you will realize why BACX pilots are so pissed off!:}

Tandemrotor
9th Apr 2005, 18:47
cap.pulitov

You "don't believe an arrangement to see some secondees going to LHR is an acceptable compromise to BACX Pilots."

Assuming BA wish to continue with their current policy of SELECTING the BACX pilots they wish to employ;

(A policy not in the control of the BACC, BACXCC, or BACX)

what WOULD be an "acceptable compromise"?

The Little Prince
11th Apr 2005, 19:01
I would suggest that an acceptable compromise would be simple equality of opportunity.
Like Captain Pulitov, I will send each and every member of BACC a handwritten letter of thanks if they could even produce evidence that they had suggested equality of opportunity (ie ability to bid for LHR jobs like some of their colleagues) to the BA management they negotiate with. In BACX we realise fully that BACC or BACXCC will not achieve all their aspirations. However, it would be quite refreshing to feel that BACC had made the effort, even if it failed.

I will go further, I will admit :E that every post of mine disagreeing with Tandem was inaccurate :{ , and that he knew and knows more about BACX than I ever could. All he needs to do is support the idea of equality of opportunity for pilots within the same Company. I do not mean opportunity for BACX pilots ahead of secondees, just the same opportunity according to rank and seniority. If he can't (or won't) do that, I'm sure judgements will be made accordingly.
I hesitated to post here, because of the tirade that reasoned argument usually attracts from the secondee readers. Hopefully however this time there will not be more of the usual nauseating Blairite smirking, insincerity and duplicitous language one becomes accustomed to from TR and his friends.
Inshallah.

cap.pulitov
13th Apr 2005, 15:38
The question is why do BA wish to continue and select BACX pilots ,some who have already been trained by BA as Captains flying BA AOC A/C..Some politics!
Equal opportunities for MAN pilots should see the RJ situation as base closure for BACX pilots and they should be able to bid to LHR. This a fair compromise. I do appreciate the BACC not allowing BHX RJ secondees to bid outside BHX on RJ but this doesn,t help with long term solution . Anyway more meetings with Balpa are taking place over the coming week- Hopefully BACX workforce can unite behind our CC and look after its pilots! Just like pilots in BA!

3Greens
14th Apr 2005, 17:56
After the fairly recent situation where BA took CityFlyer pilots onto the bottom of the seniority list i can't see BA taking on another pilot that hasn't gone throught the full selecion procedure. most of the CityFlyer pilots were excellent, however the failure/chop rate was considerably higher that with pilots that come through selection.
I know the aptitude tests / interview / etc..do seem quite unlinked to flying jets but it seems they do seem to work.

Pin Head
14th Apr 2005, 18:58
If the gates open at all, it should be for all BACX pilots who want to go down to LHR and LGW not just those from the displaced bases/fleets.

CheekyVisual
15th Apr 2005, 10:03
I usually steer well clear of these BA v BACX debates but surely all that is needed here is a little common sense by all parties. No one in BA management BACX management the BACC or BACXCC wants to see anyone disadvantaged, I'm sure. However, there are facts of life to be faced. The decision to move the RJs to EDI must have had the blessing of the BA board therefore it is BA as a whole who must find a solution. The grounding of the 146s is a slightly different arguement. I was once told never get caught using common sense but I have decided to give it a go !

The BA secondees at Manchester are there, largely, because that is where they want to live. They don't want to commute to LHR and by the same definition I would suspect they also do not want to commute to EDI. However, would there be any reason they couldn't bid onto the BA 767 fleet with the proviso that under bidline they had priority for the MAN-JFK. (A bit of lateral thinking by BA mainline reqiured - is that beyond them ?). They would probably be away less than they are now. There is no need for any extra expense to BA or BACX other than their 767 courses. In fact it would surely save money in hotels and taxis.

An uncomfortable fact of life is that there are now not enough seats in BACX for all the people who want to occupy them. I appreciate the deal the secondees have and in their position I would not be prepared to give it up either. So why make them give it up. In return for their continued life in the regions why can't the BA and BACX CC get their heads together and get the combined managements to accept a deal where BA Mainline undertake to employ a number of BACX pilots equal to or greater than the number of BACX seats occupied by secondees. If that has to be via some kind of selection then so be it. However, this must leave as few people disadvantged as possible and I appreciate this isn't going to solve everyone's personal problems.

I am fortunate not to be personally affected this time, although with all the other F/Os in the company the prospect of career progression is likely to have to now be elsewhere. However, having been relocated in the past I know how it feels and wish all you guys in MAN the best.

Finally, we all need to accept that in life we all want to look after number 1. Being abusive to each other on here about who's number 1 has the most rights or ability doesn't get us anywhere. Might make you feel better for five minutes that's all. If BALPA BA and BACX don't start working together all our number 1s are going to lose out in the end not matter where you came from or what deal you have now.

I will now find a sofa to hide behind in expectation of the repsonses !

aaaaa
15th Apr 2005, 12:33
Good idea CV. Why however, if there are currently not enough seats for those at BACX, are they, and for that matter mainline still interviewing?

:confused:

aa

False Capture
15th Apr 2005, 13:38
The supplementary bid for all 25 (23 captains and 2 first officers)MAN secondees ended at 9 o'clock this morning. I believe CP will be supplied with a list of those secondees who want to fly the RJ at EDI, INV or IOM. Final selection will be determined by date of joining parent company, eg. a BA secondee who joined BA in 1998 will be outbid by a BACX pilot who joined Manx in 1995. No preference or special treatment is being given to the secondees in this respect.

It looks like there's only a handful of secondees who have aspired for commands at EDI, INV or IOM. Once you introduce the date of joining the parent company, there may only be a couple of secondees who have enough seniority to move with the aircraft.

cap.pulitov and The Little Prince, it looks like the BACC has approached the subject with fairness and consideration for the BACX community. This time (unlike the original transfer of the RJ) there is no advantage in being a secondee in order to get the seat and base of your choice.

The Little Prince
15th Apr 2005, 20:37
A good point Paul, thank you.

It is interesting to note, (and please, everyone, try and take this in the objective way it is meant), that False Capture says:

"it looks like the BACC has approached the subject with fairness and consideration for the BACX community. This time (unlike the original transfer of the RJ) there is no advantage in being a secondee in order to get the seat and base of your choice."

In other words, since there is no advantage being a mainline person, we'll level the playing field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On balance, I continue to believe that the totally breath-taking hypocrisy of the BA mainliners who post on here is simply beyond belief. Oh yeah, we'll errrrr play fair on THIS occasion since there's no advantage to us by not doing!!!!!:\

Do we LOOK as though we sailed up the Mersey on a Banana Boat?????? Get a life!:mad:

16th Apr 2005, 00:40
In January of 2002, The Little Prince wrote:

"My information is that we at BA CitiExpress are to receive all the CFE 146s to operate out of Manchester and Birmingham. I understand that the ex CFE pilots will be initially operating them, but will be replaced by our low cost equivalent as our guys come on line. The ex CFE guys will then be soaked up in mainline as the pilot shortage starts to happen again with the ongoing retiral bulge. I wasn't quite sure how to interpret the future for the LGW services, but presumably an earlier post referring to greater utilisation of the airbuses would acount for that. Again, presumably a gradual thing. One can see the sense in it as BA slowly lower their regional cost base courtesy of ourselves - assuming they can get away with continuing to turn the Ts and Cs screw on us."

So TLP, now you've been given the aircraft, the routes, the terminals, and the extra jobs, you no longer want to be the "low cost" pilot you so enjoyed being then.

Now you want to be a mainline pilot.

Is that the kind of "breath-taking hypocrisy" you were referring to ?

The Little Prince
16th Apr 2005, 14:57
It may well just be me, but I fail to see the point you are making. At the risk of being arrogant (moi???) it is clear Iwas entirely right. BA HAVE lowered their Regional Cost Base, unfortunately, thanks to BACC they have got away with turning the Ts and Cs screw on us in a HUGE way. The only area of my post where I was wrong was that not all of the CFE guys have been soaked up in mainline (and BTW what a huge difference there is between ex CFE and mainliners!)

However, as another point to ponder, since you talk about us wanting to get onto the mainline Seniority List. Initially, BA management offered BACX BAe 146 and RJ100 pilots the opportunity to join CFE on the Master Seniority List. Just us, not the rest of BACX. Now, it may well be argued that not accepting that was a tactical blunder, however we turned it down. Why? Because in BACX we tend NOT to just look after the interests of a few, but to try and stick together. We were not going to take an offer which would have looked totally as though the BACXCC were only cossetting the chosen few. Compare that to the way BACC have acted throughout!

Finally, as maybe the MAIN point to ponder: Back in January 2002, we had only just been taken over. What did that mean? Well, basically we were extremely profitable, turning in record profits year on year. Our management complement were relatively slim in number and more importantly, KNEW HOW TO RUN A REGIONAL AIRLINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can anyone blame us for becoming a little cynical? It's bad enough having to fight the Competition, it's worse having a management which goes out of its way to shaft us, but worst of all is being screwed by our 'fellow' pilots! :yuk: :yuk:

behind_the_second_midland
18th Apr 2005, 14:05
I would suspect they also do not want to commute to EDI. However, would there be any reason they couldn't bid onto the BA 767 fleet with the proviso that under bidline they had priority for the MAN-JFK. (A bit of lateral thinking by BA mainline reqiured - is that beyond them ?).

...er what about the other ex MAN people on the 757/767 fleet that have been commuting for years?

The secondees either go with the aircraft (I know two definately going to EDI) or bid off. If they happen to get the 767 and get a JFK occasionally fair enough.

Now if you are talking about eastablishing a 767 MAN base (now I wonder if anyone has thought of that before..Oh yes I forgot they closed it) then you are talking.

However many of the secondees would be killed in the crush and not get anywhere near it.

normal_nigel
18th Apr 2005, 17:53
Yeah thats a great idea.

Lets give the secondees the right to all the 7 day JFK back to back's (one of the flets best trips to many) just so they don't have to commute and sod everyone else who's had to suffer base closure in the past and had to vacate their prefered regional/scottish base.

Now if anyone doesn't like the thought of commuting then there is a solution.

Move house.

Plenty have had to. Others suffer the commute. The bottom line is if you want to fly for BA its one or the other.

rhythm method
20th Apr 2005, 01:02
JOAT,

I'm not sure what question you are asking TLP, BRAL, etc..,

The difference that I see between ex-CFE , Mainline and us is that we are 'guaranteed' an interview. True, but ex CFE had no interview, mainline secondees needed no interview, blah blah. Yes I know that will automatically cause an uproar about 'our mainline aircraft' gifted to you, etc, etc... but that is not the intention. The fact is that there is a disparity in relative treatment/concessions between the differing workforces..

..or am I mis-reading your interpretation of the verb 'To Shaft'?

RM

(Edited cos JockOffAllTrades post deleted)

20th Apr 2005, 08:15
CFE had no interview because they were taken over and employment law was on their side.

BA would have done anything not to have them on the master seniority, as would the 50 or so people who lost their (rightful) command chance because of some made up Grandfather Rights issue which was allegedly a lie by BALPA.

BRA is a wholly owned subsidiary. A totally different proposition.

As for the secondees, surely you should know by now the parent company can pretty much do as they like with the child.

False Capture
20th Apr 2005, 09:15
The Little Prince,

Instead of twining-on about CFE pilots joining the mainline seniority list, why not apply to BA through the system in-place whereby all BACX pilots are guaranteed an interview.

Compared to putting all BACX pilots on the bottom of the BA seniority list, those BACX pilots who've been successful in getting into BA have effectively bypassed many of their former BACX colleagues. Furthermore, the ex-BACX pilots who've got into BA did so due to the time and effort which they invested in studying for their BA interviews. As a result, they probably don't want you to simply join the bottom of their BA mainline seniority list.

I get the impression you want all the BA perks without any of the effort - almost as though you feel it's owed to you. Either apply to BA and get the terms and conditions you deserve or wind your neck in!!:ok:

EMB170
20th Apr 2005, 09:24
i had enough of you nigels
telling us we should be happy with our lot as we have been gifted those brilliant RJs from mainline!

the fact is, before all those RJs arrived we had lots of happy pilots living in the regions flying their ATPs, Jetstreams and so on.

but then big brother had a brilliant idea, lets close as many bases in the regions as possible, 'what a great idea for a regional airline' .
you ba folks telling us we should be happy about that, i'm telling you we are not, as over all we have seen a reduction of airframes,
demotions and people having to up route their families to move to parts of the country they wouldn't have dreamt about.

not only did we get stuck with those RJs, we now have to do monitored approaches and give up our gold stripes for silver ones,what ever next>

all i can say to you is, stick your crappy RJs,where the sun ain't shine and leave as alone.

False Capture
20th Apr 2005, 14:29
not only did we get stuck with those RJs, we now have to do monitored approaches and give up our gold stripes for silver ones,what ever next?
You forgot to mention the SESMA/FDA program!;)

The next thing could be the adoption of fuel league/tables.:{

Quidnunc
20th Apr 2005, 21:22
That's outrageous! After that, we'll be lumbered with an improved safety culture and increasing standards across the board. Whatever next?

rhythm method
21st Apr 2005, 01:57
Q,

I've edited this post for the reason that we shouldn't air too much dirty linen in public,

however, I'll say 'Wind your neck in' before someone with less tact than me bites your head off!

Au revoir

maxy101
21st Apr 2005, 07:11
Go on...give us a clue....

21st Apr 2005, 11:00
At least now with BA people in not all the captains sound like a Toxteth scally.

I quote from a PA

"The weather is real nice down there" in the best Wayne Rooney accent you can imagine.

This after quite posibly the worse Captain's welcome PA I have ever heard.

Also don't the BA guys act as a sort of anti-thesis to the GA flying club boys that now run the RJ as a ......GA flying club operation* instead of an airliner (Ok just about an airliner)

* quote from BACX secondee

Still rest assured if 99.9% of BA pilots had a choice those that are even aware of BACX would get rid of it and let our people go back to the regional mainline bases.

Trouble is BA don't see it like that.

However you may get your independence if the losses continue.

The Little Prince
22nd Apr 2005, 23:49
I've wrestled for a long time with the 'why'; of the cultural difference. Actually, it's had more to do with the constantly proved inability of most BA pilots - God Bless You - may you live in interesting times......- to be able to understand why we have a problem with you. Hey, I'll try again.

1. We NEVER wanted to be in BA. We would have applied earlier if that was our aim.

This was because we had a Regional Airlines lifestyle which, for those of us which stuck with it, gave us what we wanted. Yep, it didn't pay as much, but it (was) very profitable, secure, and most important allowed us to live in an area of the country we had picked with a lifestyle that worked.

2. B.A. bought us.

Probably mainly for the LHR slots, who the hell knows. The ones that do probably aren't there anymore. We still DON'T actually want to be part of BA, but we accept we are but teensy cogs. However, having delivered what our purchasers presumably wanted (whatever that was) we are more than a little p#ssed off at where we are. Our profitable Company has been trashed. Our bases have been closed. Our Fleets have been grounded. Sensible explanatory communication on the issue from both BA management and BALPA has been nil, condescending and illogical. Our employment base has shrunk, our jobs are constantly moving/relocating......but somehow we should be grateful for this.......er.....just like Dan Air eh? As the man said, don't p#ss down my back and tell me it's raining!!!!!!!:mad:

3. Regardless of any personal antipathy I or any other BACX pilot may have for individual secondees, that is irrelevant. We neither want, (nor certainly expect any more) sympathy from mainline for the usual treatment they extend to their ...er....'wholly owned subsidiaries' as opposed to their 'take-overs' (Jesus, Mohammed et al, and we're supposed to have some solidarity eh?) I must find a lawyer to explain the difference. WE DON'T WANT TO BE PART OF BA. WE HAVE NO CHOICE - WE ARE. THEREFORE, WE EXPECT TO BE TREATED FAIRLY AS SUCH.

4. Several choices I guess. No means of enforcement.

a) BA can (again) with the connivance of BALPA execute a Dan-Air scenario.

b) As the losses mount up, due entirely to the pathetic inability of their management to emulate our FORMER management and make a profit, they could dispose of us one corporate way or another.

c) BALPA could show a little honour, unite and demand that BACX pilots join the master seniority list at the bottom.

Now, please, explain how option 'c' would disadvantage ANY serving mainline pilot??? What it would do, ethically and morally would protect the jobs of people who never wanted to join BA - but whose Company and careers were purchased and completely f#cked by BA. Yes, the circle is squared. We didn't want to be part of BA, we would rather it had never happened. (I'll gloss over the disposal of the people who made the component parts of BACX profitable....but who were deemed .....surplus to requirements. ) How the BA personnel are unable to understand our point of view is the mountain that has stood between them.....and the rest of the Industry for twenty five years. In the worst possible scenario, I suppose people who have trained mainliners, have flown with them, have flown mainline aircraft previously...might all flunk a conversion. If that were the case.....well, then mainliners could sneer at will and we would have to get on with it. But....er.....although the CFE chop rate may have been slightly higher than the full, shiny, total interview candidate....

1) would that matter in really significant cost terms in the great BA 'big picture budget'?

2) are we talking conversion failures versus line training failures, because I happen to know that those two stats are very different in the BA system, and a load of total bollo#cks is inferred by the true politicians their management are when comparing apples with bananas.

3. Would it be significant in the great scheme of things if the occasional LPL accent were heard - it might balance the self-satisfied vocal smirking from those whose security owed nothing to their ability but all to their skewed BALPA allegiance and the fortuitous nature of their contracts!!!!

I fly with people every day whose main concern is their jobs, their families, their locations, their futures. Regrettably, I also fly sometimes with people whose only worry is... er... 747 or 777. Or perhaps...ummmm LHR or LGW and what are the commuting costs from France versus the tax breaks. I suppose I'm pretty used to it by now, I suppose I don't even hope for a happy ending any more.........BUT THERE IS NO WAY I'LL LISTEN TO THE BA SH#T AND GO QUIETLY ANY MORE EITHER!!!!!!!!!

(Particularly when we get to the personalised condescending patronising and innaccurate horse - sh#t of the nature of the last Nigel herewith.)

PS Timbo got fired though - maybe there is a God......:}

145qrh
23rd Apr 2005, 05:11
Well said Little Prince,

is it true that you got accepted into the BA holding pool a few years ago, after passing the interview process ????

but decided (hmm) to stay put in CWL

:hmm: :hmm:

EGCC4284
23rd Apr 2005, 07:28
Little Prince for management.

Willie Walsh, are you reading this.

Would you care to reply in any way.

One of the best assets you can have is your staff.

Your BACX pilots need to be treated with the respect they deserve.

I watch with interest to see how you sort this mess out.

Willie, why not invite Little Prince for lunch sometime and
hear what a man from the other side thinks.

23rd Apr 2005, 12:58
The Little Princess

What you don't seem to realise, is that 'British Airways Plc' are the SOLE arbiters of whom they choose to employ.

No amount of "demands" from a 'united BALPA and BACX pilots' will change that one jot!

When BA Plc see that it is in THEIR interests to incorporate BACX pilots onto the master seniority list; they will do exactly that. Until that time, they will not!

The problem is this: You yourself (happily?) described BACX as the 'low cost' arm of BA when all those regional RJ jobs came your way. But you can't now seem to grasp the true meaning of the term "clear blue water" so beloved (I believe) of your outgoing GMFO!!

Now if BACX truly IS such a bad place to work, you know exactly what to do!

Many of your (recently ex) colleagues have, and already ARE moving up the BA master seniority list, with more to follow.

The opportunity is open to you too. What makes YOU so special, that you deserve to avoid the efforts THEY have made?

As for your comment:

".........BUT THERE IS NO WAY I'LL LISTEN TO THE BA SH#T AND GO QUIETLY ANY MORE EITHER!!!!!!!!!"

Fill your boots. Nobody cares any more whether YOU are quiet OR bitter and twisted!

It is simply not an issue for anybody in mainline.

Not meant to be harsh, it's just a fact.

rhythm method
24th Apr 2005, 00:38
Enough of the arrogant, supposedly snobbish attitudes..

BA have LPL pilots already working for them. I know of several (2 of which would have stood a great chance as extras on Brookside!!! They can't spell for sh1t (sorry boys, but you know it's true, and I've wound you up about it in the past!)).

A couple of years ago it was proven that regional accents were deemed more acceptable than 'marbles in mouth' South East accents (BBC findings I believe).

We are continually being told to go elsewhere if we don't like the job we are in now. Put yourself in the same position... 12-15 years seniority and Nigel decides to unilaterally redefine the definition of the regional airline you signed up to.. as well as disposing of 26 aircraft which were operating profitably without Nigel's interference... THEN telling you that you should be grateful for the 16 'mainline' (HA!) aircraft that were gifted to you... even though you would only be allowed to fill the remaining seats after the elite had their pick.

BA love to pride themselves on the fact that they are considered a 'non-redundancy' airline.. Well waken up and smell the coffee cos BACX (A Wholly Owned Subsidiary - what a difference :hmm: ) are about to enforce quite a few redundancies after the latest business plan (contradiction in terms!).

I know that not all mainline pilots spout the sh1t that the posters on pprune do.. God forbid. I do realise that it's the minority with chips on their shoulders, and broomshafts up their @sses, but they ought to actually open their eyes and look as a human being and a supposedly fellow professional (yes we actually ALL have the same qualifications as you) to see the devastation that is being caused to family life because of the ineptitude of BA managers who have still been unable to successfully run a regional airline.

Quidnunc
24th Apr 2005, 06:14
There are no Liverpudlian pilots working in the UK - you need a criminal records check to hold an airside pass, so how can there be?

24th Apr 2005, 08:45
Aye

Calm down, calm down!:)

Aerial Anarchist
25th Apr 2005, 07:58
" Rhytem method" says in his/her post yesterday

qoute " BA love to pride themselves on the fact that they are considered a 'non-redundancy' airline.. Well waken up and smell the coffee cos BACX (A Wholly Owned Subsidiary) are about to enforce quite a few redundancies after the latest business plan (contradiction in terms!).

Would you please expand on this as many at the bottom of this hopeless airlines seniorioty list would like to hear what you have to say on the BACX redundancy subject

rhythm method
25th Apr 2005, 08:31
Got it from a senior trainer just the other day (and I quote)...

"We are in a position where there are not enough seats for the number of crews; unless there are sufficient voluntary redundancies it will be compulsary redundancies on last-in first-out basis". (Quite a contradiction to DE saying at the recent Business Plan announcement that he couldn't morally stand over compulsary redundancies while seconded pilots remained with BACX. That moral stance didn't last too long, did it?)

Furthermore, a very high number of crew will have 1 years pay protection followed swiftly by a pay cut of £13k on average.

To sum it up, it's a bag of sh1t, and we now realise that ex-CFE crews who told us to beware BA were 100% correct. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and GB pilots should watch their backs next. The dirty tricks campaign has allegedly already begun.

Aerial Anarchist
25th Apr 2005, 08:47
RM thanks for the reply - just how I and others are seeing it!

25th Apr 2005, 10:13
But rm, it's only 4 weeks ago you explained with statistics, using the term "mass exodus" to describe the retention problems at BACX. If you were correct then, why would the company offer volountary, never mind compulsory, redundancies?

Have people stopped leaving in their droves overnight?

rhythm method
25th Apr 2005, 10:25
Well that shows how little you really know of the current BACX situation..

quote "All the tools of Schedule C are available"...

that means Voluntary redundancy, Career breaks, Unpaid leave, Part-time working, etc etc.

That is why the company ARE offering voluntary redundancy... cos they said they would, and they know that the recent Business Plan has left them in a dire position (No-one envies CP's task in sorting out relocations, demotions, etc).
I'll publically apologise and admit I know much less than you if in 12 months time there has not been a turnover of at least the same as in the past 12 months (double the company's usual forecast turnover).

(Don't take it personally 4468, this is merely a statement of facts as currently exist)
RM

25th Apr 2005, 10:46
rm

There'll be no need to apologise, and I don't take anything personally that's posted on here.

You are right when you say I don't know much of the current stuation at BACX. It's just a little confusing to determine from the contradictory posts on pprune, whether people are leaving in their droves, or being made redundant!

I can't help wondering what the REAL truth is, especially when recruitment appears to have continued until VERY recently!!

I imagine I will be slammed for saying this, but I would be very surprised if 'big' BA allowed BACX to make pilots compulsorily redundant, whilst mainline are recruiting.

Assuming BA does not wish to take ALL BACX pilots onto the master seniority list, and only the most junior CX pilots are threatened with redundancy, should it be these 'junior' individuals who are offered mainline contracts?

Would CX pilots accept (this time!) a small number of their colleagues, moving to mainline. Or would the BACXCC scupper the plan, by once again insisting 'everybody, or nobody'?

normal_nigel
25th Apr 2005, 19:20
Regional accents are fine indeed, often preferred.

However you can have a regional accent and still sound intelligent and articulate.

Or you could sound like a thick Scouser.

Must be a Liverpool Flying Club thing. After all GA attitudes prevail in the RJ fleet now don't they?

'round midnight
25th Apr 2005, 19:56
Piece of advice:

Anyone on a BACX contract being made redundant ahead of a secondee on a BA contract might like to pay a visit to an employment lawyer to determine whether he or she should be made redundant ahead of a sub-contracted (BA) pilot.

There is legislation out there to protect you, so use it.

'Without prejudice.'

'round midnight

Tandemrotor
25th Apr 2005, 23:56
'rm

"Anyone on a BACX contract being made redundant ahead of a secondee on a BA contract might like to pay a visit to an employment lawyer to determine whether he or she should be made redundant ahead of a sub-contracted (BA) pilot."

But secondees aren't 'sub-contracted' are they?

Pay a visit by all means, and spend money if you have some to spare! Just don't expect any return on your cash!

No pilots in BACX will be 'forced' into redundancy - You read it here first!

I do however feel sympathetic towards other trades, who quite possibly WILL face redundancy! Don't hear too much about them do you!!

Jet A1
26th Apr 2005, 08:30
Move to GB -- If BALPA are worth their salt, surely they will look after the interest of GB pilots and not just the Nigels who want to keep away from LHR/LGW.
BA have tried this tact before with GB and they were politely told that it was a non-starter.

False Capture
26th Apr 2005, 09:23
Word on the tarmac is that the seconded are willing to move and have suggested to BALPA that they like the look of GB at Manchester
bral, the supplementary bid for MAN secondees closed about 10 days ago. There were options for EDI, INV, IOM and all the BA LHR and LGW positions. There is no option for any secondee to be based at MAN. Your comment only serves to alienate the secondees and upset the boys and girls at GB.

I must say, I think it's disgraceful the way the BACX management are treating some BACX pilots regarding the latest aircraft bid. A number of pilots have been phoned to be told "you haven't achieved any of your bids so would you please widen your selection." Bidding is all about requesting what you want and if you don't get it then you're moved and the company has to pay the price. Surely the current situation amounts to the company saying "you haven't achieved any of your bids and we're now faced with paying for your relocation expenses and pay-protection. Would you mind taking a pay-cut by bidding for something you don't want." As bral says, it's a great shame when you see what the future holds for some of the RJ training captains.:uhoh:

madmax100
26th Apr 2005, 16:09
false capture

bral is indeed correct, bacx secondees HAVE approached balpa and are pushing for GB seats at MAN.

64 resignations to date since december! if that ain't a mass exodus, what is?

rhythm method
26th Apr 2005, 18:11
I can't vouch for those figures, but if accurate, that's 12.5% of the workforce in 5 months. The problem is, I know of even more who are waiting for start dates with competitors, and will then accept the redundancy package, so they won't be walking away empty-handed.

False Capture, bral tells no lie.. that is the latest word going around BACX. Whether it comes to fruition or not is another thing, but I alluded to it on another posting.

4468, whichever way you look at it, it's bad news for BACX management cos a lot of very experienced crews have had enough of the poor treatment, and are pouncing at any opportunity to leave the floundering ship. Be it by handing in their notice, accepting voluntary redundancy, deliberately picking unattainable bids so as to force the company's hand into compulsary redundancy payouts... the only investment in BACX at the moment should be a revolving door to avoid a crush in the stampede!

Sad, but true.

False Capture
26th Apr 2005, 19:17
BA don't want the secondees at MAN so it doesn't matter if an approach has been made to BACC. BALPA have told all the MAN secondees that BA want them back in London.

The approach to BALPA regarding GB at MAN was made before the supplementary bid closed. The secondees are now committed to their new bids, as I said in a previous post only a handful (6 to be exact) wanted to stay with the RJ when it moves north. The results will be announced later this week but it looks like most have achieved their EDI bid.

The remainder (about 20) will return to London with a successful Aspirational Bid or they'll be directed with a Forced Bid. Flying for GB at MAN is simply not an option.

p.s. I heard that 65 BACX pilots had resigned since end of November.:ugh:

'round midnight
27th Apr 2005, 21:10
TR,

Not a sub-contractee? You're sure?

Who's your contract with? Who's your union, Balpa BACC or BACX? Where do you get your seniority from? Which piece of paper would you refer to if things went wrong for you, your BA contract? Where do you get the right to bid from, Ba or BACX? Have you signed a contract with BACX?

Trust me, it doesn't matter what the cosy arrangement appears like to you, in my experience a forensic analysis by the employment tribunal will determine who your employer really is. Quite often, the intention of the parties fails to reflect the actual contractual position of the parties.

So, if for one moment the tribunal thought you were employed by BA but 'sub-contracted' to BACX, then they'd expect your sorry arse to be fired before any employee of BACX.

You've got to decide which cake you want to eat, cos the tribunal ain't gonna let you pig out on both.

'round midnight

Quidnunc
28th Apr 2005, 06:20
Surely all BACX pilots are the ones who are sub-contracted? i.e. they (and BACX) are doing work that was originally done by BA. BA were too expensive, so BA sub-contracted it out to a cheaper subsidiary.

The result of this is that the proper BA pilots should have the first choice of what work they want and where they want to work from. The sub-contracted guys (i.e. BACX pilots) should join the back of the queue and recognise the rights of their more senior colleagues.

AdrianShaftsworthy
28th Apr 2005, 11:57
Thats a refreshing way to look at the situation! Very sensible. Hard to understand why BACX peeps cannot see the logic of the argument!!!;)

Tandemrotor
28th Apr 2005, 11:59
rm

I don't believe I pig out on either cake, I simply take a little of each, as has been agreed by BOTH sides!

The 'popularity' of BACX with it's current employees, and the level of recent recruitment, seems to suggest that compulsory redundancies are highly unlikely, don't you think?

rhythm method
28th Apr 2005, 23:57
Quidnunc, the lowest cheapest attempt at a swipe I have ever seen. There is NO WAY you possibly could actually be a pilot because our fraternity!(yeah!) could honestly never ever be that disparaging to fellow professionals.. however, for your spotters logbook (if you've actually even gone so far as to purchase one), when BACX were formed,

.. BA didn't operate MAN to ABZ, BHD, BFS, CPH, DUS, GIB, IOM, NCE, ORK, OSL, VIE, VCE, SOU, SNN, PIA, (MXP was already dropped), NOC, LDY, ..... and I'm sure there are PLENTY more from the other bases. As for the 'rights of their more senior colleagues' you will find that quite a few BACX pilots are actually more senior in DOJ than their more privileged mainline counterparts, and furthermore your post (if attempting to support secondees) is actually quite detrimental to the overall situation. The mainline guys who I see every day generally feel that while their positions in the regions are secured, we should be given a realistic opportunity to secure our lives by open access to BA. They acknowledge that there is some political agenda to limit the number of 'internal' applicants to mainline...

to be told that the reason your sim assessment was unsuccessful was "your LOC/DME profile was flown 3 knots too fast" (actual example) is quite obviously bullsh1t.

BA are most likely trying to pullout of the regional market, and their commercial approach recently could be seen as evidence of this.

The company as a whole will suffer for many reasons...

27th May 2005, 21:59
Just wondering how many redundancies there have been in the past month?

I believe it is not possible to get Part Time Working with BACX, due to the lack of pilots!

28th May 2005, 22:11
OK

Let's be more specific then.

'round midnight, and rhythm method: A month ago some were telling us how there weren't enough seats in BACX to go around, and what an unfair threat the mere presence of mainline secondees where.

So, how many people have been granted volountary (never mind compulsory!) redundancies recently?

How many are likely to in the near future?

Is BACX still recruiting?

rhythm method
29th May 2005, 00:55

I'm not going to stoop to the inter-company bashing you are most likely aiming for, but some very basic facts from a cursory glance at the latest seniority list/ bid results:

5 BAe 146 aircraft leaving 47 pilot positions removed from the company (that's almost 10% of the workforce). Redundancies (most likely no comp. as there may be sufficient offers for vol.)... due to the disposal or relocation of such a large number of hulls, by my reckoning, just over 100 pilots are ENTITLED to voluntary redundancy. The bid results are apparently changing on a very fluid basis as pilots are unhappy with their allocation, and are opting to move on.

4468, there really is no need to stoke up feelings at yet another state of upheaval which doesn't personally affect you. Talk about kicking someone when they are down?! :yuk: :ouch:

RM

29th May 2005, 09:14
Not trying to stoke up anything at all.

Simply trying to establish, whether you guys know what you're talking about when you make rabid claims of mass redundancies, to support the demand to repatriate secondees, and unfettered access to mainline for yourselves.

That's all.

As you say, it seems highly unlikely that there will be any compulsory redundancies. Judging by the rate of resignations you have told us about, I very much doubt the company will need to offer any financial incentive to leave either.

So, everyone's happy.

Tandemrotor
29th May 2005, 20:15
...when you make rabid claims of mass redundancies

rhythm method
30th May 2005, 00:21
continue, please?

30th May 2005, 10:03
...claims of mass redundancies, to support the demand to repatriate secondees, and unfettered access to mainline for yourselves.