PDA

View Full Version : stripping paint

dixonreg
1st Apr 2005, 14:02
Anybody help me with this problem?
I have an aircraft covered in synthetic fabric, painted with two-part polyurethrane, with lettering in sign-writers enamel, which I wish to remove. I was told (by the vendor, who I cannot now trace), that there is a suitable solvent which will do this without affecting the underlying urethane finish and indeed, some of the lettering has previously been successfully removed and redone.
I suspect that I may be hoping for too much, but will be eternally grateful to any knowledgable person who can help.
(I've tried acetone - no joy)

AerBabe
1st Apr 2005, 14:36
Ah. So you don't mean the brush-on body latex you can buy from certain types of mail order companies?

Cusco
1st Apr 2005, 15:42
stiknruda may be able to help you on this one:

he's been known to knock up the odd Pitts in his shed:

try pm'ing him

Cheers

Cusco (yes you're right)

javelin
1st Apr 2005, 20:47
Back in my car trade days, we used to remove enamel with oven cleaner without affecting the cellulose or 2 pack below it. I would be careful, but it would be worth a try.

If it removes OK, I would replace the reg with vinyls.

VisaGeeza
2nd Apr 2005, 00:10
It is true that "Mr Muscle" oven cleaner will remove enamel paint without affecting celulose, that's how van signwriting is removed. BUT, do try a very small area of the aircraft first to see if the paint below really is oven cleaner proof because if it isn't, you will damage the paint, fabric and even the wood beneath. Oven cleaner is essentially caustic soda! If the aircraft paint isn't affected, spray on the "Mr Muscle" leave for a couple of minutes and then wash off with a stiff brush. Repeat as necessary. Don't leave the oven cleaner to dry. Keep the oven cleaner away from metal parts especially aluminium even in it's diluted form.