PDA

View Full Version : This weekend.

topcat450
1st Apr 2005, 13:21
The weather is looking provisionally OK, so what's on? Anyone off anywhere nice?

I saw Breighton have an 'at home' day on Sunday - surely that can't be all? (I'm after inspiration if you couldn't tell)

AerBabe
1st Apr 2005, 13:22
I'm going to be at London Colney with BigFlyingRob, playing with micropolites. Unless he knows otherwise. :confused:

helicopter-redeye
1st Apr 2005, 13:31
Following the recent thread on the Jura airstrip, we're going there (via Carlise) then on to Oban for some biscuits.

h-r

Kingy
1st Apr 2005, 13:37
Hoping to test fly my Isaacs Fury this weekend. It's been over two years now since it last flew - seriously considering taking up smoking...!

Kingy

VP8
1st Apr 2005, 14:16
After five days on the trot trying to get up I've been thwarted and have to work the day shifts this weekend :( hopefully Monday will remain OK :suspect:

VEEPS

bar shaker
1st Apr 2005, 14:30
AB

With fingers crossed, BFRob's mate Brian may be doing my permit this weekend, at LC.

May see you there.

LeeG2002
1st Apr 2005, 15:05
Hopefully this weekend will be the first time I can fly legally if the CAA send me my license (NPPL Microlight).

Took my GFT at Hunsdon last Wednesday, sent my paperwork to the BMAA on Tuesday this week, and by Thursday (yesterday) I received approval from the BMAA! Excellent speedy service.

My Quantum is sat around just waiting.

If I don't get off the ground this weekend, i'll look forward to next weekend.

bar shaker
1st Apr 2005, 17:10
Lee

You can still fly under your instructor's approval (Chris?) but cannot take passengers until you get the paper back from the Belgrano.

Could be a good weekend for an extra exercise 18 to somewhere though ;)

Well done on passing your GFT, Jay is not the easiest of touches.

boomerangben
1st Apr 2005, 19:34
H-R

Was in Oban last weekend for some jammy D's (and some fuel). I think we left you some (jammy d's that is)!!

Keygrip
1st Apr 2005, 20:20
I'm going to DisneyWorld - but I doubt that that counts.

DubTrub
1st Apr 2005, 20:49
going to DisneyWorld - but I doubt that that counts No it doesn't, since you live in Florida. Mind you, having been there, I don't envy you.

FlyFreeWbe
1st Apr 2005, 20:57
Got a 3-4 hour block of flying to do this weekend finally. Just round and about east anglia. It's bin booked and rebooked since January, canx again and again because of bad weather.. Finally my time has come! Muhahahaa.

I might even give back the plane! Disneyland sounds good I've never been.

edited for spelling again in proper english not yoof speak

AerBabe
2nd Apr 2005, 16:53
This weekend ... a man called Pierre took me flying in a flex-wing. :ooh:

skydriller
2nd Apr 2005, 18:35
I spent this afternoon on the roof of my house......Wish I could say watching aeroplanes fly by, but no.........Trying to get my newly aquired digital satellite system tuned to Astra 2D so I can get some English TV over here - needless to say I failed dismally:ugh: - though I did briefly get Hotbird to work:p:E .

Not even sure if Im pointing it in the right direction:hmm: Its gonna rain tomorrow:{

Anyone done this before and have you got any tips?

Regards, SD..

AerBabe
2nd Apr 2005, 19:21
Astra 2D eh? That's 28 degrees east of south, elevation 2. The dish will be marked with elevation & you will be able to work out 28 degrees E of S on a compass. However, because you're a long way away, it'll have to be pretty spot on. Any trees in the way? Chop 'em down. And any buildings will have to be demolished so you've got a clear view.

helicopter-redeye
2nd Apr 2005, 20:27
Was in Oban last weekend for some jammy D's (and some fuel). I think we left you some (jammy d's that is)!!

Only fuel I'm afraid, not Jds this time

(but we did do Sheffield >> Carlise >> Jura >> Glenforsa >> Oban >> Carlise >> Sheffield). Mostly sunny in Scotland and haze city in Yorkshire.

h-r (now knackered and off to bed)

Kolibear
2nd Apr 2005, 21:19
When I arrived at the airfield, vis. was such that I could just about see the far end of the runway, say about 1.6k, so instead of flying the aircraft, I washed her.

By the time I'd finished, the vis had improved enough to commit aviation, but from 2,000 ft it was still only about 5k, clear enough to see, but not that good. So after 30 mins. I decided that the aircraft had been blown-dry and came home.

skydriller
3rd Apr 2005, 15:28
AerBabe,

Trees chopped and Neighbours house successfully demolished:}

Got it up & running thanks, but if anyone is thinking of doing similar, the direction & elevation you point the dish varies depending on wherever you happen to live.....even throughout the UK. For example Astra 2D is positioned at 28.2°E, but from here you point the dish around 30.5° elevation and 145°M direction......as I found out from here (http://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm).....after the messing around yesterday I decided to get all scientific today - I am supposed to be an Engineer afterall:rolleyes: as Mrs SD kept reminding me:hmm:

Regards, SD

LowNSlow
3rd Apr 2005, 20:08
I took my sick cylinder to the magicians at Vintech and went to see my mum and dad. Not jealous of the peeps flying out of Swansea on a glorious Saturday afternoon at all, honest. :(

Algirdas
3rd Apr 2005, 20:43
I bimbled my TST over to Silverstone and hung loose at 1000' watching some racing cars out practicing.
Not much air traffic about though - don't know why.....

Keef
3rd Apr 2005, 22:49
I took two friends to Le Touquet, via a sightseeing tour of rural Essex, on Saturday. It was a bit hazy but pleasant enough.

LT was busier than I've ever seen anywhere except the PFA Rally.

I worked my way up from something absurd like 14th in turn to land when I joined downwind. Then some kind person in a Cherokee decided he could fit into the gap I left between me and the C152 in front when I turned final.

He nearly had to go round, due to being too close to the 152. I had to go round due to being extremely close to him. I had rather hoped that he would do the decent thing and go round himself, but nothing of the sort.

So, if you're reading this (which I doubt), thanks for the extra circuit flying practice - much appreciated.

muffin
4th Apr 2005, 11:12
You were indeed lucky Keef that the wx was good enough to go anywhere at all. We have finally got our Zenair back in the air again after 7 long months in the cold dark hangar and I have been itching to use it. Despite this, Saturday was so claggy that I did not dare lose sight of the airfield lest I could not find it again, so just circuits were all I could do. Of course today (Monday) is crystal clear but some of us have to work to afford to fly.

Kolibear
4th Apr 2005, 12:58
today (Monday) is crystal clear

Low cloud & drizzle in the east :(

Circuit Basher
4th Apr 2005, 15:45
Well, I managed to get flying in one of HMs finest Grob 115s for 30 mins as a pax (but I did get to turn it upside down a few times!! :D :E).... oh, and I made sure that around 10 cadets got flown as well!

DX Wombat
4th Apr 2005, 17:33
Don't forget that this coming weekend Saturday 9th April sees the PPRuNe Museum Bash / Fly - In at Elvington :ok:
For those who may not know where Elvington is it's near to York and has a HUGE 60 metres wide runway which I understand is an alternative landing site for the Shuttle - USA Space variety, not BA. Everyone will be welcome to come, see the Bash Forum for details.

BlueRobin
4th Apr 2005, 19:44
topcat didn't go due to symptoms of prior "beverage ingress" :p