PDA

View Full Version : CAA: £500 Charge to ALL Pilots.

UV
31st Mar 2005, 22:30
I understand that that the the CAA are shortly to announce a one off charge to ALL Licence holders of £500.

Apparently this is to cover their costs of converting to the ICAO proposed DNAC Navigation System.

The DNAC (Decimal Navigation and Compass) System will apparently simplify all Navigation proceedures in the next decade, by removing the need for deviation, variation and other complex proceedures.

The new system is based on GPS which, of course, can work irrespective of Magnetic, True, or Grid Systems. All Future Navigation will apparenly be based on True North, and a Decimal Compass of only 100 degrees.

There will, of course, be advantages from the new 100 degress latitude and longitude measurements which will be 100 degrees only of Latitude measured up from the South Pole to the North Pole and 100 degrees only of Longitude measured East from Greenwich back to Greenwich. No more mixing up East and West or North and South if near the meridians. Also much simpler plotting and measuring etc. and, dare I say it, Exams.

Another advantage is with runway headings. An easterly runway will become 25, Southerly 50, Westerly 75 and so on. Instead of only 36 designations 99 will be possible. Far more accurate.

The one off charge is designed to off set costs of mapping, runway re-numbering, Nav Aid re-calibration, Radar re-calibration and numerous other changes which the CAA say will be justified in the long term.

The charge will be collected at the next Licence Validation or Renewal.

We need to nip this one in the bud asap because not only will we have to pay this £500 but we will also have the greater costs of removing and replacing every Magnetic Compass, VOR, ILS, HSI, ADF, etc., etc.,

UV

Flik Roll
31st Mar 2005, 22:41
It's gotta be... :}

ChampChump
31st Mar 2005, 22:46
..but please don't put any ideas into their heads.......

Flik Roll
31st Mar 2005, 22:52
and if they do they had better do student discount!!

Keygrip
31st Mar 2005, 23:46
...but being based in Florida, I assume I'm exempt the VAT!!

shortstripper
31st Mar 2005, 23:57
It's not even 2am yet for goodness sake! :}

SS

waco
1st Apr 2005, 01:25
.........nice try........

Kolibear
1st Apr 2005, 06:17
The cheque's in the post.

Whirlybird
1st Apr 2005, 06:53
Nice one! My heart rate was increasing until I got to about the 4th line....and suddenly realised the date. :) :) :)

But as someone's already said, for goodness sake don't give them any ideas. :(

helicopter-redeye
1st Apr 2005, 08:56
Damn, I just sent them the cheque. Do you think they'll give me a refund?

Maude Charlee
1st Apr 2005, 08:58
Thought it was called a Class 1 medical. :}

LowNSlow
3rd Apr 2005, 14:59
I like the 100 degree compass idea, fits in with my theory that I am only working 2.8 metric weeks when I do a 28 day trip overseas :D