PDA

View Full Version : Multiple RVR's

Trainee pilot
31st Mar 2005, 16:54
Hi,

Can't seem to find the info in JAR OPS 1 part E...........................When landing, if you receive multiple RVR's. which ones need to be at or above your mimimums? The same for take off.........is it just the first two? Thanks...........

ifleeplanes
31st Mar 2005, 17:17
From my understanding the first RVR is the touch down RVR which must be above the landing minimums. The next two are mid point and stop end which have to be above the take off minimums for that runway or the company take off minimums whichever is more restrictive.

Hope that helps

Trainee pilot
31st Mar 2005, 17:23
Yes that does help thanks, so I guess that means if you need 550 for landing, and they give you 550/150/150 that might be ok as you have the first one and the other two meet the t/off mimimum for example...........does that also mean for take off you need all three meeting t/off mimimums e.g 125/125/125.........

Airbus Girl
31st Mar 2005, 17:47
I believe the wording is along the lines of "if relevant".
So if you have 550/125/125 and you are Cat 1 then you can basically say that the other two are not relevant (coz you're landing on the first end of the runway).

For take-off the initial RVR can be substituted with pilot assessment.

fireflybob
31st Mar 2005, 18:20
I think most Ops Manuals say touchdown RVR must be at or above minima, mid point above the relevant take off minima and, on a "long" runway that stop end is "advisory".

I guess if the scheduled landing distance required does not exceed half the landing distance available this might be a case for discounting the stop end RVR

Techman
31st Mar 2005, 19:43
But do you know how far down the runway your are?

For take-off, the approval from your CAA will probably say that all 3 segements are required and must be at or above minima.

Also if your TO RVR is less than 150 m then the initial RVR can not be assesset by the pilot.

For landing I believe that you can get away with XXX/125/75 regardless of it's CAT II/II/III.

PropstoMAX
31st Mar 2005, 20:35
From what I understand,
For TO, 100/150/150 is acceptable at the pilots discretion provided 5 centreline lights can be visually seen by the crew which would equate to 150m as they are spaced 30m apart.

fireflybob
31st Mar 2005, 23:06
I thought for take off that the RVR had to be at or above minima for the required accelerate stop distance in the event of a rejected take off.

javelin
1st Apr 2005, 20:44
Take off - 125, 125, 125m and you are LVO qualified, unless you have Para Visual Indicator , then it maybe as low as 75m. Otherwise 150, 150, 150m.

Landing - assuming CAT IIIB, 75, 75, dependant on performance.

That assumes roll out guidance and that the promulgated stop distance of your aeroplane will allow you to stop in the 1st 2/3rds of the runway.

On a short runway like Luton, Bristol or Leeds, you may need 75m in all 3 segments because you will still be over 60kts in the 3rd segment of the runway.

No pilot assesment is allowed, no manual assesment is allowed unless a IRVR machine is broken.

Damn, can't you tell I just had an LPC/OPC !

mogley
9th Apr 2005, 15:17
In our ops manual all rvr's given must be at least the charted minimum unless you are carrying out a cat 2 or 3 then the T/d must be the charted minimum & midpoint/rollout 75m.

givenupp
9th Apr 2005, 22:15
And if IRVR not available reported vis may be factored (x1.5 day x2 night??)

LYKA
10th Apr 2005, 15:49
Givenup:

Can't use this method for cat 3 apprs.

West Coast
11th Apr 2005, 04:03
I was feeling pretty good on the last oral as we talked about RVR, then as an example I was asked about 34L at DEN, four of those damn units....

Cap Loko
26th Apr 2005, 15:09
Just to complete the answers of Topicstarters question:
Multiple RVR's are not in part E but in D Operational procedures.

JAR-OPS 1.405 (f) says: The touchdown zone RVR is always controlling. If reported and relevant, the mid-point and stop end RVR are also controlling. The minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 125 m or the RVR required for the touchdown zone if less, and 75 m for the stop-end. For aeroplanes equipped with a roll-out guidance or control system, the minimum RVR value for the mid-point is 75m.

Note."Relevant", in this context, means that part of the runway used during the high speed phase of the landing down to a speed of approximately 60 knots.

cheers