PDA

View Full Version : True cost of FI(R)

Dude~
30th Mar 2005, 18:25
I am trying to get an acurate budget together for my training, but it seems there are various extras that need to be counted with the basic cost of the FI(R) course.

Since most of you have done it I wonder if I could pick your brians? I mean brains!

Is there a need to do a pre-course check ride? I beleive I read about this in LASORS but cannot find it again. It was to prove ability to undertake the course I think.

Where I get really confused is the test. Is there huge CAA examiner fee like the CPL-IR? If so how much is it? I presume in most cases hiring an aircraft for the test will be extra but I can check that with individual schools.

Also, how much is the license issue fee?

Can you think of any other direct costs I need to add? (Not counting living / petrol / booze etc!)

Cheers

QNH 1013
30th Mar 2005, 20:31
Very briefly (because I am pushed for time)...
Yes there is a pre-course flight test / assessment. This can be done either by the school you are going to, or by another school who are able to run the FI course. Expect about an hour of dual time for the cost of this for a first guess.

The FI test takes almost a full day with more time in the classroom than in the aircraft. This test is quite reasonable at less than £200, but you need to add 2 hours aircraft hire or so.

Rating issue fee will be on the CAA website.

Extras needed are books (£30 to 60 depending on what you buy), a few pounds for felt pens and viewfoils, and money for beers to pick the brains of others who have already done the course.

Best value is to get the Night training done at the same time as the main course, then you get the night restriction lifted without paying a further CAA fee.

No doubt others will fill in any gaps I've missed.

Finally, good luck, you will enjoy it (and also learn how to fly properly).

Dude~
31st Mar 2005, 08:42
Thanks for that 1013, I think I've pretty much got the bulk of it now. Just got to nail these last ATPL exams...

IRRenewal
31st Mar 2005, 09:12
Check whether local landing fees are included in any quoted price. You will be required to do quite a few circuits and this could easily add up to a significant amount of money.

WX Man
17th Apr 2005, 11:29
Average for everything is £6K. I paid £5400 for mine, which included PEFT and all local landing fees.

Extras were:

A/c hire for PEFT (£150 ish)
Examiners fee (£200)
A/c hire for test (£160 ish)
Landing fees for land-aways (£40)

There's little chance of an over-run on the 30h training.