PDA

View Full Version : silence is golden.....

reverserunlocked
28th Mar 2005, 18:57
Daft question, but please indulge me...

Can you hear anything from the cabin (ie announcements by loud-mouthed hosties, clapping for great landings, teeth rattling for not such great landings..etc) in the flight deck of an airliner, particularly the 767, either in the air or on the ground?

Capt Claret
28th Mar 2005, 23:36
reverserunlocked

On the venerable 146 you can. This is partly because some engineering genius has designed a ballistic proof door with huge airflow grills to allow pressure equalisation in the event of a decompression event.

These wonderfully designed grills also allow easy access to the flight deck of,
smoke from a cabin fire,
noxious smells from the forward lav,
knockout gas supplied by your friendly local terrorist,
chatter amongst the cabin crew.

The opposite is also true, when the EGPWS screams out five hundred during the approach, and then counts down from 100, the first half dozen rows in the cabin can hear, as they can when passing over that pesky ridge just before turning final and the sodding thing screams, TERRAIN TERRAIN!

And before I get flamed for being un-security conscious, if Boeing can design a flush ballistic proof door, with blowout panels, then the 146 should be able to have the same!

FLCH
29th Mar 2005, 02:48
Not really, but you can hear the plates crashing to the galley floor if you slam it on though !! Most times you can hear the pre-recorded " Flight Attendants please be seated for arrival", but thats only b/c I'm listening for it.

ElNino
29th Mar 2005, 09:05
Those 146 doors are certainly an appalling design. It was a team effort in incompetence it would appear: designed by a muppet and approved by same.

javelin
29th Mar 2005, 14:00
On a quiet flightdeck like the A330, if someone goes the other way RVSM - i.e. 1,000 feet above, you can hear him pass :uhoh:

Also heard the No1 shouting at a passenger to sit down as we were taxiing in once. I thought she was talking about the doors because he called him a knob or something !

Airbus Girl
31st Mar 2005, 17:59
Yep, can hear the passengers clapping and the front row can usually hear the aircraft auto-callouts b ut we can't hear the cabin crew.
We do have nice CCTV to watch them and on some of our aircraft the intercoms are rigged so that we can listen in to everything the cabin crew say on their intercoms. They usually forget when we fly one of those aircraft so equipped, which whiles away the hours as we can have all sorts of fun - such as when they come in to check we're OK we can say things like "we felt it was getting a bit hot in the cabin so we've turned the heating down" just before they ask.
They think we're weird.
Hmmm, its along way to Tenerife....

Capt Claret
1st Apr 2005, 00:57
El Nino, Bit unfair on muppets isn't it? ;)

lomapaseo
1st Apr 2005, 13:22
The Valujet CVR did pick up the shouts of passengers