PDA

View Full Version : PPL Equipment

jay_hl
28th Mar 2005, 11:29
I am thinking about starting a PPL course full time in the summer.

My question is what equipment is essential to have for the course and what equipment are bonuses to have. A full kit list would be greatly appreciated.

Any other advice (especially about doing it full time) would be fantastic.

Thanks

Jay

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Mar 2005, 14:17
Hi Jay and welcome!

To answer your question I think it will really depend on what the school you choose to train with will provide you with. To my knowledge most schools will provide you with the flying training, and it will be your responsibility to educate yourself through the ground school. On saying that however, you will have long briefings on certain subject areas that will help you with your ground studies and these will be of a practical nature.

Some of things that you will need as part of the course are listed below.

CRP-1 Flight computer or bite the bullet and go for a CRP-5 if you want to go and study for you professional exams after your PPL.

Knee board. These come in lots of shapes and sizes, the A4 style seems to work well, for me anyway, but it is down to personal preference.

1:500,000 VFR naviagtion chart.

Pooley's flight guide for all the information you need on the airfields located in the UK.

Protractor and plotter for measuring true track and distances.

Headset. The school will most likely loan you one, however, it is nice to have your own for personal comfort.

Lots of pens and pencils, can never have too many :D.

The Trevor Thom series of books for the PPL ground studies. These books will provide you with all you need to know and more to pass the exams. Or maybe the Oxford CD ROM series, from what I have seen they are very good.

Subscribe to the Met office website, its free! You will need to obtain the weather for all navigation exercises and having it online is very convinient. www.metoffice.com/aviation

Subsribe to the Aeronautical Information Service online, its also free, and provides you with lots of useful information. www.ais.org.uk

..........and finally, a sense of humour :D

I am sure I have probably missed a few things out, but I think some of the essentials are there. Enjoy the course, it really is a lot of fun!

All the best.

simkin
28th Mar 2005, 14:36
Jay,

I reckon you could print out CAT3Cs comprehensive post and use it as your shopping list – although it will add up to a bit more than the weekly food shop, especially if you go for the Oxford CDs!

In addition to above list take a look at this thread:

PPL Equipment (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=150662&perpage=15&highlight=ppl%20starter%20kit&pagenumber=1)

It covers everything from types of pens right through to sunglasses. The general consensus was that it is better, in the long run, to buy bits and pieces individually rather than go for an all in one pack.

Also check out ebay there is usually loads of PPL stuff up for grabs.

Have fun!

Sim

CAT3C AUTOLAND
28th Mar 2005, 14:44
Simkin,

DAM! I knew I had missed something, bloody sun glasses :cool:

jay_hl
29th Mar 2005, 12:30
Thanks for all your info everyone.

Ill go shopping and post any questions that I may have when compiling my shopping list!

Thanks n Rgds

Jay