PDA

View Full Version : EC785/2004 - European Insurance

CKnopfell
28th Mar 2005, 10:58
Hi folks,

I have just received a 'demand' from my insurers for additional premium because they have upped my liability cover to meet the requirements of 'EC785/2004'.

Does anyone know about this requirement. Where can I get a hold of a copy. As far as I can tell from the information I have gleaned from the net EC785 should not affect me because the aircraft is never used on public transport outside of the UK.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

bookworm
28th Mar 2005, 11:56
See the CAA's page on Mandatory Insurance Requirements (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?categoryid=122&pagetype=90&pageid=4510)

EC785/2004 applies to most aircraft in the UK, whether flying for PT or not.

stuartforrest
28th Mar 2005, 14:14
I got one too. Extra £60 on top of the £3500 I already paid.

bookworm
28th Mar 2005, 15:06
Oh I got a letter too...

It asked me to review my cover to see if I had sufficient, despite the fact that the broker had the information required to confirm for himself that I was. It had a key misprint on the cover required per passenger (they left out a zero) and finally asked me to sign a form confirming the maximum weight of my "balloon". Since insurance is often about getting the details right, this and other cock-ups have persuaded me that I need to look for a new broker.

Any suggestions?

stuartforrest
28th Mar 2005, 17:42
I got mine through GT Insurance but am insured with Besso and I have always found them extremely helpful. I usually deal direct with the insurer for changes and renewal now. I have to say (begrudgingly because they are an insurance company) that the cover seems pretty fair and although it is a quite expensive it is not much more than my two cars and the plane is worth way more! Seemingly plane insurance is pretty good value. Having said that it costs me about £300 per month so it is a lot none the less.