PDA

View Full Version : M1 Visa

Landy
27th Mar 2005, 17:42
I've got my M1 visa to go and finish my PPL in the states. However, due to circumstances, I have to delay my original start date.
2 questions:
Will my visa still be current ( I can still complete before it expires)
Do I need a new I20 form?

Can anyone point me in the right direction, I have searched the visa website and cannot find anything only that you can enter up to 30 days before the course start date nothing about entering after.

Thanks

chopperpilot47
28th Mar 2005, 19:45
I'm afraid you have missed the boat. If you don't enter by the date shown the M1 visa is cancelled. You will have to get another I-20 and go through the whole process again. Sorry about that but it should be mentioned in your paperwork somewhere. Try the SEVIS website if you have no luck finding the reference.

Regards,

Chopperpilot 47

OK - I found this:

The SEVIS website says this:

Procedures

Q: What are the procedures for the new Service port of entry procedures for Forms I-20?

A: For all SEVIS student initial entries

* Notification of any student making an initial entry on a SEVIS Form I-20 is now being sent electronically to SEVIS. All students entering the U.S. via land borders will be routed to secondary inspections, where their entry information will be updated in SEVIS.
* At this time, students entering at most air and seaports mat be admitted either through the primary lane or through a dedicated student line. This student line may also be the secondary inspections line at some ports. However, DHS is in the process of implementing a system at all air and sea ports that will facilitate student entry and SEVIS updating in the primary lane.
* In all cases, initial student entry information is being entered by the inspector and updated electronically in SEVIS.

Once the entry information is entered at the POE, the student\'s date and port of entry information should be automatically populated in the registration information screen on their student record. The initial status record will also then appear on the alert list of students that have entered through the POE, but that have not yet registered.

* Students that are on this list need to be either registered or terminated for "no-show".
* This SEVIS termination replaces the schools requirement to report no-shows via the #800.
* The system will terminate such students if no action is taken on their initial status records.

This electronic notification function eliminates the need for the POE to take the student\'s form SEVIS I-20 and route it through London, KY, and the ports are thus phasing this practice out.

All initial entries on Non-SEVIS Forms I-20 prior to August 1, 2003, will continue to be processed in the same manner as before, meaning that the student will retain their copy and school copy will be sent to the school from London, KY with the cover letter requesting that the school report a no-show via the #800 number.

So....... If you do not enter when you are expected you are a no show and you are "terminated". Unfortunate choice of words but there it is.

Chopperpilot47

Landy
29th Mar 2005, 18:20
Thanks for this info. I thought I had seen something somewhere but then couldn't find it again! At least now I won't get to the states and then get turned back because of this :uhoh:

I will have to sort it out or rearrange my dates again.

Keygrip
29th Mar 2005, 18:42
The odd bit is that you can enter on any date BEFORE the date on your I-20 but not after it.

Safest bet would be to apply for an I-20 with a date a week or so after you plan to travel.

chopperpilot47
29th Mar 2005, 22:14
Coincidence! I had a UK student apply to come to my school for his private helicopter. I sent all the paperwork, he got his visa and didn't turn up! No explanation, nothing. He phoned a couple of days ago to say he would be here on 3 April. I had to tell him he was "terminated" on the SEVIS computer. I phoned them and they confirmed he had to start the process all over again. Apparently, if he had telephoned us before his start date it could have been deferred without much hassle but as he didn't apply he was cancelled on the computer.

Confirmation of what we thought.

Regards,

Chopperpilot 47

Landy
30th Mar 2005, 09:08
So if I arrange for a new I-20 in good time (with the school) it sounds like my visa could still be valid then? i.e. the school will know when to expect me and I won't be "terminated" on SEVIS

I know you can enter up to 30 days before the start date of your course.