flyingfriday
26th Mar 2005, 12:22
Hi

Has anybody been to or know of an airfield near turnhout
in belgium - any help appreciated !

thanks

bookworm
26th Mar 2005, 18:30
There's an airfield at Oud-Turnhout, used mostly for parachuting and shown as 400 m hard runway. Unfortunately I have no contact details, but you might find out more via Skydive Flanders (http://www.pcv.be/nl/contact.htm). Oud-Turnhout seems to be strangely absent from their list.

There's also a military field EBWE at Weelde a few km north if you prefer 3000 m of tarmac. Belgian AIP contact info for civil use is:

a. Mail:
Belgian air cadets
Hannuitsesteenweg, 350
B-3300 Goetsenhoven
Tel:++32 (0) 16 81 34 41

b. Mail:
CCVW
Walter Geenen
Molenzijde, 69
B - 2330 Merksplas
Tel:++32 (0) 14 65 58 09
Tel:++32 (0) 14 65 62 35 (AD)

• OPR HR HJ
• AFIS: "Weelde Radio" - 120.225 MHz - INFO only, no ATC
• RMK:
The use of the AD is subject to prior permission from the operator.
AD given in concession to the CIV club outside MIL ACT.

See also http://www.kac.be/ for an email address for Geenen.

I have no personal experience of either place.

deing
29th Mar 2005, 16:16
Oud-Turnhout closed almost 10 years ago, Weelde is normally only open during weekends

Rgds,
Deing

bookworm
29th Mar 2005, 17:37
Oud-Turnhout closed almost 10 years ago

Ah. Good ol' Jeppesen! ;)

I\'m puzzled that Oud-Turnhout is still shown in the EB AIP as a parachuting area if there\'s no taking-off and landing there though. Is it usual to drop somewhere other than where the drop aircraft takes off and lands?

deing
30th Mar 2005, 15:19
Dropping not at the airfield happens usually at the busier fields, only place in Belgium this is done is normally at Genk/Zwartberg.
In Holland it is quite common (Rotterdam, Midden-Zeeland, Seppe)

Nothing happens anymore at Oud-Turnhout although the runway is still there

Deing

GroundBound
31st Mar 2005, 11:45
Depends on what you mean by near? :)

Eindhoven (EHEH) about 15 nm ENE.

Antwerpen (EBAW) about 20nm WSW.

There's Balen about 12nm ESE, but not sure of its status - would need to check.

If ground transport is a requirement, from airport/field to Oud Turnhout that might pose more of a problem.

GB

Flyin'Dutch'
31st Mar 2005, 15:51
Weelde is a 'sleeping' Belgium Airforce base where gliding takes place in the weekends.

I tried flying into there a few years ago as I had done some gliding competitions there in a previous life.

No chance. Things may have changed.

Nearby Gilze Rijen (EHGR) is no better due to the unenlightened view of the Dutch Military compared to the use for civilians we have over here in the UK.

Eindhoven is OK but rather expensive.

If you need big airport facilities you can go to Antwerp which is good value or Budel (EHBD) which is smaller.

Have fun!

flyingfriday
2nd Apr 2005, 15:11
Thanks guys - I guess I'll just go by train !

Pity ............

FF

bookworm
2nd Apr 2005, 16:51
Well maybe, but if you're starting from the UK, at least fly as far as Antwerp! It's a GA-friendly place.

The airport is a short taxi ride (long walk) from Antwerp (Anvers) Berchem station, and it's then a 45 minute train journey (including a change) into Turnhout. http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/ for timetables.