PDA

View Full Version : An age old question...

mikeshort101
25th Mar 2005, 09:56
Now, chatting to me older brother and his pilot friends, one thing keeps coming up, and that is the supposed shortfalls in pilots in a couple of years as a result of the fallout from Sept 11.

Just out of curiousity, is there any truth in this? As I've seen several contradictory opinions, and want to weigh everything up before making any career decisions.

Cheers

Old Smokey
25th Mar 2005, 13:34
mikeshort101,

Rumour, opinion, statistics, believe any of them that you want. The truth of the matter is that there is a significant over-supply of available pilots for the available positions. Pre 911, one could say that an individual's chance of making it from ab-initio to a professional airline career was very slim. Perhaps 911 has had it's impact, now the chances are just slim.

The one and only absolute certainty that I can give you is that if you do not embark upon training, your chances of acquiring a professional pilot's career are zero.

Regards,

Old Smokey

chopperpilot47
25th Mar 2005, 19:51
The reverse is the case for helicopter pilots. There is a real shortage in the USA with hour requirements for jobs falling all the time.

Chopperpilot47

Onan the Clumsy
25th Mar 2005, 20:18
If only I had the money :(

How far do you have to extrapolate out to get the requirements down to ...erm... zero :8