PDA

View Full Version : Current NPPL SEP - Lapsed CAA Group A

tonyhalsall
24th Mar 2005, 14:22
Here's a good one and having looked through Lasors I can't find the answer.

I have an old CAA Group A Licence, it is expired for more than eleven years. Just prior to it expiring for ten years I revalidated the licence to NPPL SEP. Since then (and with great thanks to the CAA) I have got my Class 2 medical back and would like to get my CAA Group A revalidated.

What will be easiest revalidating after eleven years and basically have to jump through hoops again written exams etc etc or is there a route to revalidate the expired CAA licence with my current NPPL?

In case you are wondering why I want to do this, it has nothing to do with flying abroad - more to do with rationalising my licences - I have a current CAA Group A lapsed licence which does have a current microlight rating and an NPPL SEP. It makes sense to have a current CAA Group A which allows me to fly microlights anyway and dispense with the NPPL.

(Before anyone mentions the easier medical - forget it. I was a victim of the NPPL medical, not a beneficiary - but I have now got the Class 2 medical back)

Thanks

Tony

BEagle
24th Mar 2005, 16:01
If yours was a 'lifetime' PPL, you will need to do the following:

NO exams

Sufficient dual training to pass the Renewal SEP Class Rating Licence Skill Test.

Incidentally, there is no such thing as Group 'A' any more; you will have a UK PPL with Single Engine Piston Class Rating.

scubawasp
25th Mar 2005, 06:49
Don't forget about your RT licence!

If it has not been used for 10 years, then you will need to take the RT test. Have a look in LASors

BEagle
25th Mar 2005, 07:25
True - unless, of course, you have been using your FRTOL with your NPPL SSEA rating.

tonyhalsall
25th Mar 2005, 08:33
Thanks for the info. My RT is current and valid cos I have been using it with my micro licence. I still have the CAA licence and the Group D as such is a current rating, but the SEP rating is long lapsed (11 years). My current SEP licence is an NPPL.
The CAA licence is an old lifetime one which is why I now just want to lose the NPPL and revalidate the SEP rating on the CAA licence giving me one licence with two ratings as opposed to two different licences.
This flying lark can get mighty confusing can't it!!
( Must say you know - for all the knocks that people give the CAA - they did a great job for me and have helped tremendously in the last couple of years. Three cheers for the Aero Medical Dept I say!!)

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Mar 2005, 09:29
When I did this recently I was confused as the various advice in various places about the RT licence (which I hadn't used for more than ten years). I decided to do nothing (ie no repeating of tests and exams, no filling in of any forms) and see what happened.

What happened was that the CAA sent me a new RT licence with my PPL without requiring me to do anything.