PDA

View Full Version : Emergencies

Blinkz
24th Mar 2005, 13:33
Hey guys,
As those of you who read the PPL diary will be aware, I got a partial in my PPL skills test last week, failing all of my emergencies.

I'll be redoing the emergencies section of the skills test and as such will need to do a PFL, an EFATO and something else. I'm just wondering what other emergencies you guys have been given during a skills test? Will I have to do an emergency descent incase of an engine fire? or is that just for CPL?

APRIANA
24th Mar 2005, 13:40
Hi,

you may get an engine failure before takeoff, instructor will kill the power and it's up to you to stop the a/c safely.

You may also get fire on the ground, or they may ask you to talk them through what you would do in the case of losing steering.

I had just started climbing away from my PFL when I got my EFATO.....

At least you know what to expect. Good luck!

bar shaker
24th Mar 2005, 14:20
Expect them at various points of the circuit too. Some you can into the field from, some you can't.

Give yourself a mindset that the engine in your test aircraft is the most unreliable one flying in the UK. Each time a failure is called, you will have already anticipated it.

Good luck.

Big tip: After your test, continue to fly permanently expecting it to stop at any moment!!

greeners
24th Mar 2005, 15:11
Appreciate that you are preparing for a test and that you want to pass it. However, the reason that we go through these emergencies is because ANY of them might really happen - so you need to know all of them, ideally from memory!

How many regular GA pilots out there really practice the full set of emergencies on a regular basis? How many are comfortable that they would get it completely right every time? If you can't do it in the relative calm of a training/practice situation, you won't have much hope as and when it really does go pear shaped.

Blinkz
24th Mar 2005, 15:18
I appreciate what you all are saying, and I totally agree. I am not trying to just pass my test. The test I took highlighted a weakness in my knowledge and so I am now trying to correct it.

I DO know how to land an engine failure, unfortunately I made a mistake and I got a partial because of it (and quite rightly so) I am now trying to make sure that I know what I should so that when I need it I will hopefully handle it as I should.

I was just curious as to the emergencies that other people got in their tests. I had an practice alt failure in my test and I have to admit it took me by surprise since I thought that I just had to do a PFL and EFATO. Again showing a lack of knowledge. I'm doing my best here :ok:

greeners
24th Mar 2005, 16:36
Blinkz

Didn't mean to come across as giving you a hard time, sorry. My comments were really directed at getting GA pilots as a whole to think about how 'current' they are in sorting out potential emergencies.

Most of the flying training that I carry out is with highly motivated and safety aware pilots who come and fly with us specifically to improve their general handling and safety skills to get to a higher level than required by the PPL syllabus. Unfortunately I don't believe that all GA pilots go about their business on the same basis.

g