PDA

View Full Version : TC Move to Swanwick

BDiONU
24th Mar 2005, 11:54
Just been announced as October 2007 and the Military in time for xmas '07.

BD

Barry Cuda
24th Mar 2005, 11:58
Damn you, BDiONU, I thought I had the scoop on this one!

Anyway, only 30 months and counting...!

pr00ne
24th Mar 2005, 12:38
What will that leave at West Drayton?

Jerricho
24th Mar 2005, 12:41
More land for burnt out cars?

AlanM
24th Mar 2005, 13:39
Very good Jer :)

(Didn't you live in West Drayton.......)

Jerricho
24th Mar 2005, 13:48
West Drayton North thank you very much. A nice 5 minute walk to work.

And there was a reason I would leave my car at the Centre :E

Barnaby the Bear
24th Mar 2005, 21:30
West Drayton is a lovely place......if you really close your eyes tight and think of somewhere else. :}

gumpalump
10th Apr 2005, 09:37
can't be any worse than the 'Peg tracon can it?
what was the murder count last year again?

Jerricho
10th Apr 2005, 12:48
can't be any worse than the 'Peg tracon can it?

Never knew we had a Tracon. :rolleyes:

And yes, it's much worse (plus I now don't have to put up with bloody Girls Aloud and all that other ****e..........give me Shania Twain any day :E)

pr00ne
10th Apr 2005, 15:14
So,

When TC and the Mil move to Swanwick what will that leave at West Drayton from an ATC point of view?

Gonzo
10th Apr 2005, 15:16
Nothing at all.

A I
10th Apr 2005, 17:30
Well no ATC people but lot's of infrastructure!! :D :D

Minesapint
10th Apr 2005, 18:09
NAS is the last major bit of fairly important kit at LTCC. That should move before TC but its all been a little quiet. West Drayton - (logoverland) gone and forgotten!

A I
10th Apr 2005, 20:24
Agree about NAS but also lots of other legacy bits like RTF and ATOTN all route through WD at the moment. The transfer is pretty complicated and the timescale certainly looks aggressive.

A I

Minesapint
10th Apr 2005, 20:39
That's true. Its pretty aggressive for NAS & CCDS let alone all the other kit.

gumpalump
10th Apr 2005, 21:12
erm that was what brits call "irony" Mr J.

how exactly is (at least) 30 murders last year, in a town the size of Southampton, worse than West Drayton?

I'm not saying WD is heaven of course...

Lock n' Load
10th Apr 2005, 22:24
We're a tad off-topic here, for which I'm sure Jerricho will gladly take the blame...
The UK has the second highest rate of assault in the world, and one of the highest burglary rates. I'd rather accept a 0.02% annual risk of being murdered (Alberta has a lower murder rate than Manitoba) than a 3% annual risk of being assaulted!
Incidentally, just as most murders in Manchester, London, Birmigham and Glasgow are drug or other crime related (and the rest due to marital strife), and tend to perpetrated by the desperate on the desperate, I think you'll find the same is true in Winnipeg. Jerricho will have to be there for at least 5 years before he drives people crazy enough to resort to murder. :ok:

Note to Mrs Jerricho - put the knife down. You have to make it look like an accident to collect the life insurance.

Jerricho
11th Apr 2005, 00:12
how exactly is (at least) 30 murders last year, in a town the size of Southampton, worse than West Drayton?

We could go into the demographics of it Gump, but here is neither the time nor the place :rolleyes: You're not being ironic, you're comparing chalk and cheese (you ever lived in Winnipeg?)

(LnL, why is it always my fault? ;) )

gumpalump
11th Apr 2005, 11:19
I have lived there actually - so am pretty qualified to make comments I reckon (observe the lack of "humorous" smilies in my post?).

Not sure where Alberta comes into it either.

Much prefer London/South East UK myself.

Jerricho
11th Apr 2005, 15:17
I have lived there actually - so am pretty qualified to make comments I reckon

So then you do realise the folly in the comparison with Southampton.

I certainly know where I would rather live.

(This isn't who I think it is........ Mr G?)

Minesapint
11th Apr 2005, 17:27
So is WD in Winnipeg, Alberta or Southampton :D

Jerricho
11th Apr 2005, 17:58
I think it's wishing it was in Southampton :E

HAMMY
12th Apr 2005, 06:39
I'm still here Jerricho and I'll not have a bad word said against West Drayton.It must be at least 4 days since we last got woken up in the night by the Police chopper.

Jerricho
12th Apr 2005, 07:06
Wow. Sounds like things have improved since I left.

Minesapint
12th Apr 2005, 07:47
A relative of mine is a Met police dog handler and operates in the WD area. He likens it to the Bronx or LA south side 20 years age (his wife is from LA and he lived there from 80 - 90). The sooner the place is shut the better. He suggests that you do not walk in WD after dark!!! At all if female.:ouch:

Jerricho
12th Apr 2005, 07:58
He suggests that you do not walk in WD after dark

Aye, you could run into Hammy on his way home from work :E

goldfrog
12th Apr 2005, 19:35
You don't actually need to move NAS to move TC, but it is planned to be in service at Swanwick long before TC moves. CCDS is being replaced with another (ACID) system which is also position independant to the TC move.

Minesapint
13th Apr 2005, 14:25
Thanks, involved in various projects in this area. It does not matter where NAS is (to Scotland or Manchester either) but it might affect business if we close WD and forget to take it with us - and ACID - if its working by then of course.

BDiONU
13th Apr 2005, 18:19
Might affect NAS if it were at Scottish 'cause unless they make a NAS midi (no chance) then the Scots are just an OLDI to NAS ;-)

BD

PPRuNe Radar
16th Apr 2005, 16:40
NAS won't go to Scottish. They are getting a new FDP system courtesy of Caspian. One which supports full OLDI protocols I understand ;)

BDiONU
16th Apr 2005, 17:41
Ah yes the mighty ITEC LOL!! Lets not hold our breath on that coming in any time soon.

BD

Minesapint
16th Apr 2005, 21:37
Mighty! I will believe that when I see it. iTEC means, I think, inter summat through european co-operation / co-ordination. No iTEC system exists yet. SACTA goes to ScACC. iTEC for London to replace NAS 2010 -2012. Yes, of course it will.:ok: :ok: :uhoh:

PPRuNe Radar
16th Apr 2005, 22:46
It was of course the SACTA one I was referring to, as mentioned by Mineasapint. It is already a fully functioning FDP system, with the ability to send PAC, MAC, and REV messages over OLDI. Something our current UK wide system can't.

Alas, I suspect the empire builders in NATS will be trying to dumb it down since NATS could never possibly buy something out of the box without tampering with it and taking useful functionality out :{

Time for NAS to realise its time is up and its life is limited. The engineers and support teams have done a great job of keeping it going over the years, but in comparison to modern day systems and what they can do, it looks very cumbersome and lacking in user friendly functionality.

bagpuss lives
16th Apr 2005, 23:02
For a thickie like me, could anyone explain briefly what a PAC, MAC and REV message is please?

BDiONU
17th Apr 2005, 07:40
Hhhmmm, the SACTA version of NAS does not do all that NAS can and has to. I'm no fan of NAS but there is no off the shelf replacement (except maybe the new version of NAS). Also remember that the SACTA thats going into nPC will be treated by NAS as ScACC currently is, as an OLDI, not as a part of NAS.

I'll speak to my experts on Monday about what the SACTA system and the proposed iTEC replacement does and does not do. My current understanding is that it is a long long way off of being anywhere near replacing NAS.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
17th Apr 2005, 07:52
Wow - I'm glad I'm retired; I simply couldn't keep up with all this gobbledegook.... It took me 10 years to find out what EG meant.

Minesapint
17th Apr 2005, 10:04
SACTA v NAS is a none starter. NAS can handle the entire OLDI message set which goes way beyond PAC MAC & REV. NATS chooses not to spend the money on NAS to introduce additional functionality. Be aware though that its no good having all this functionality if the adjacent ACC's don't. I agree its time for NAS to go but only when the replacement is able to support the traffic levels. SACTA can? is Scotland/MACC but not in London, hence iTEC. Interoperability through european co-operation. Or, SACTA enhanced. Its safe to say that most controllers have a fairly limited understanding of their FDP system and that's the way it should be.

Forgot: PAC will be introduced in support of the NAS/SACTA split. PAC = Pre Activation Co-ordination. REV is a revision message and MAC is basically 'I aint commin'

gumpalump
17th Apr 2005, 20:36
careful with all this talk of NAS and any other ATC system that is automated - Jerricho will get jealous!
(should i insert a "wink" smiley here?)

Jerricho
17th Apr 2005, 20:50
Jerricho will get jealous

Jealous of what? :p

EXCDS never fails.........ever (just ask them campers at EGSS ;) )