PDA

View Full Version : Strange noises from helicopter

Rebound
24th Mar 2005, 08:43
Im pretty new to the aviation industry, so i will shoot away and ask my question.

Yesterday while down in the V&A Waterfront watching the helicopters take off and land, a Bell Jetranger belonging to Sport Helicopters made two loud banging noises which i have not heard before. The Helicopter is a Bell Jetranger, Reg ZS-HMB.

After speaking to one of the pilots he said that the turbine was barking and was caused by the compressor...

Can anyone explain this to me. What is barking..another oldish pilot said something about stalling????

What is the cause and is it safe to fly when it does this???

Many thanks

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Mar 2005, 08:46
As long as it wasn't Berts tockity-tockity-boom-chugga-lugga noise it should be OK.:ok:

Captain Pheremone
24th Mar 2005, 08:54
Hey you know Cape Town okes.....they bark at anything!!!

It can happen if the points are not set quite right and timing is out a bit leading to the coil sending a false signal to the hollow input shaft which then makes a loud growling noise.

This is normal for anything with pistons.

OH????? sorry....a 206.....ooookkk.....If its not a piston engine and it does it more than once... send it to maintenance. Check the compressor out for wear and tear....and...don't expect me to fly it there over "the Mountain" either.

Rebound
24th Mar 2005, 09:54
Captain Pheremone, thanks for the reply.

If the helicopter has a problem why is it still getting used to fly tourists around the coast

I assume that it must be alright then.

Solid Rust Twotter
24th Mar 2005, 10:28
Anyone else getting the feeling the bait is being twitched?:rolleyes:

Journos...:yuk:

B Sousa
24th Mar 2005, 14:02
Another new Troll on Board. Welcome to the forum. Must be that now we are taking the heat off the Huey situation and dropping it on someones B206.
Anyway the term is Compressor Stall, look it up.
If the folks here had their names revealed Im sure they would all know each other. Seems they drink Beer together with their true names and then go to PPrune to stab each other anonymously.

Rhodie
24th Mar 2005, 14:05
Helicopters are really a bunch of parts flying in relatively close formation; all rotating around a different axis. Things work well until one of the parts breaks formation.

Sorry Bert...!! :E

R

REAL ORCA
24th Mar 2005, 16:41
Last time I heard a bang from a chopper it was in the "bush" days. Nobody stood around listening, they were all running!!!!.
Hey Gunsssssss:}

Stayinalive
24th Mar 2005, 17:22
Maybe ol Captn Wolff was up to some new tricks and barking orders at his ever faithful crew.......as long as it was'nt going Rrrrrrrrrrrr but Rrrrrruuufffffffff..
Naw seriously a bit of old fashioned cleaning reqd...bleed valve sticking again.

Captain Pheremone
24th Mar 2005, 18:57
Hey Bert.

I reckon your right. We all know each other somewhere from Vegas to Welkom.

Beware of trolls!!! they are only just worse than the whiners on other heli forums (JH) for eg.

You just woken up?????

SASless
25th Mar 2005, 03:55
Bert going chuggalugga....never happen! He is much more refined than that nowadays....he actually uses a glass...spills most but always with his pinky pointing at the horizion!

Grommet
26th Mar 2005, 21:56
Hello, before you all ask yes I am slightly darker than pale, and yes I have my COM working towards an ATPL. Now it strikes me funny to hear a Helicopter Barking. There was a time when only us Darker types were barked at. Seems the New South Africa has arrived in the Lilly White Cape.

B Sousa
26th Mar 2005, 23:07
Ha Ha
Grommet, nobody here cares whether your darker than pale. Most folks in here hate everyone equally........

As to: " Seems the New South Africa has arrived in the Lilly White Cape."
That is nothing new, Crime and Corruption have been heading south for some time. Its still quite livable in the Cape area. Fences are not as high as GP. It gives the world a chance to import all SA Professionals. A lot of the SA Medical folks are already established in the U.S.,U.K. Aussie land etc. I can walk into almost any U.S. Hospital and find folks from SA. Give it a few years and then the saying will be last one leaving turn out the lights. You wanted it, you got it and now you can stuff it up like the rest of Africa.

4HolerPoler
27th Mar 2005, 08:55
Grommet,

I'd have prefered to do this by PM or email but you've chosen not to accept either forms of communication so here goes:

You've been pretty active on a bunch of threads in the past few days & every one of your posts has a common denominator - you have to remind us that you're of African descent - bud, no one give a fat rats arse what color you are - join in these forums as a fellow avaition professional & drop the race card thing. This goes as a warning to other forum users as well - can the black/white/darker/lighter crap please.

4HP

Rebound
27th Mar 2005, 09:20
SRT ( a feeling that bait is being twitched)

No, Sir, this was not fabrication or speculation. What was heard was heard by the experienced and the NOT so experienced.

So to put it short, pretty new to the industry (+- 5.5 years) still a rookie compaired to the likes of Mr Sousa and the rest. So im by all means no Journo....

The A/c and operation that i mentioned are always very quick to throw all the others under the buss wether true or not.

The so called "bait" in my case is indeed fact and not just a story....Now i will throw out the bait.....rumour has it (from the guys that fly/flown them) that both "HIS" machines are temp limited to likes of around 80% ..at sea level....MMMmmm now this is bad:8

SRT, nothing personal, just a little bait in the pond.

Cheers

Solid Rust Twotter
27th Mar 2005, 09:51
Whatever it was, you had enough of us snapping at the lure...:ok:

Rebound
27th Mar 2005, 10:09
Nothing is more tempting than a piece of bait fresh from the V&A Waterfront....

...o yes, the trebble hooks are very sharp :E

Goffel
27th Mar 2005, 18:52
Oui Grommet.

Stop worrying about the colour or the barking.

Me,colour,well Goffel says it all.

I used to work for a certain chopper jock,(he is/was a real Huey fan),when we wuz in the spray industry.

Now he used to give me a bucket of water and a cloth (some soap as well),and look at the A/c.
Now that look was "the look".

Whilst the aerie was being washed,he left his dog to mind over me,(you know these Broederbond okes,they think we steal anything) ,and everytime I stopped washing,the dog barked.

V?k Gert and could that dog bark.

When the aerie was washed,I was given the same "look" and if you followed the eye,there was his bakkie.

Same story.

But Grommet,today I have a good few thousand hours,lots of bush experience,know how to wash an aerie and a bakkie.

Today I still get the "look" and have to wash his car,and the dog is still left there to watch over me.

But the only time the dog barks is when I drive his white Porsche 996 (with the hound sitting next to me),down past Camps Bay beach.
(Yes,Bert,I get to drive it,as these Broederbond okes now believe the only proper way to dry the car is blow dry it).

Oh yes,it also has a rattle:}

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Mar 2005, 05:50
If it's making that "Zika-boing, zika-boing" sound, you know the grommet on the swonnicle defibrillator has fallen off...:E

ou Trek dronkie
28th Mar 2005, 06:21
Listen you ous,

The term "noisy helicopter" is a waste of one of the words. The age-old reason a chopper flies is that it makes so much noise the earth rejects it.

The chopper is a contraption which converts fuel into noise.

Did nobody hear this before ?

Ciao from the ou drek tonker

Gunship
28th Mar 2005, 10:02
Yeah Vis the last time an engine barked at me I lost a pax :(

Ou Draad Trekker - great to hear from you ;)

PS: 4 HP - Gr8 to see you have not lost your touch while I was on leave broer :ok:

ou Trek dronkie
29th Mar 2005, 19:42
Ja Gunness, Jy is welkom terug.

No, I really love the whirlybirds you know. "Some of my best friends drive choppers".

Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!!

It was just that I had been suffering from some serious overheads by the local Augusta specials, biting into my siesta time man. Now if, it had been one of theose Aeronautica 707s at 350 agl, I would not have minded at all. That's not noise, that's a Boeing concerto !

Gottago, the spag is al dente

Ciao from the sterk ou donner