PDA

View Full Version : Warton's shut Blackpool Radar or Tower.

gingernut
23rd Mar 2005, 15:55
If I'm approaching Blackpool from Manchester, VFR, and I call Warton for FIS/MATZ penetration, and they're shut, who should my next call be to, Blackpool Tower or Blackpool Radar?

I've looked in the AIP but couldn't find the answer.

Thanks !

TD&H
23rd Mar 2005, 16:02
Approach/Radar, fits in with approaching the field. Also Approach is appropriate for calling at long distance for airfield info (QFE, QNH R/W etc) as the approach freq is chosen for a larger area of none conflict with others on same freq. Tower freq for circuits. If there's an ATIS then listen out as it may give a different freq in use. This can happen if it's quiet (mid week say) when all work is done on one freq, with two freqs twr and app at busy times.

If you call on the approach and then would rather you call tower, then they'll politely (at most fields, and I understand Blackpool to be one) ask you to change.

Don't be frightened by the radio, most ATC will treat you gently, especially if you prefix 'tyro' with the military ATC then they know not to overload you.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Mar 2005, 16:30
Agreed. If you are inbound, I'd always get the ATIS and note it before calling approach, saves trouble later when you are busy.

G

gingernut
23rd Mar 2005, 16:47
Cheers folks, Approach it is !

helicopter-redeye
23rd Mar 2005, 20:12
If I recall right from the last time I went there (with Warton closed) which ever you call, you talk to the same guy/ gal and he/ she points you call on 'Tower'.

But it wuz a while ago

h-r

Established Localiser
23rd Mar 2005, 20:54
I would call Approach Ive done it a few times ! Remember the new beaurocracy at Blackpool !! take ID with you as they will ask for it after having your cup of tea and then going thru customs !

EL:ok: