PDA

View Full Version : "Stick and Rudder" how relevent to todays PPL?

HHUK
23rd Mar 2005, 10:34
Hello All

Long time reader of PPRUNE but just restarting my PPL training after five years "resting".

I have just started reading the Wolfgang Langewiesche
book "Stick and Rudder" - An Explanation of the Art of Flying.

Am wondering how relevent the book is to flying (especially flying training) in todays modern aviation enviroment.

I am really enjoying refreshing my memory about the basics of "Angle of Attack" and especially his techniques for landing tailwheel and nosewheel aircraft.

I realise I will have to read and pass exams using the latest JAR PPL literature but am hoping "Stick and Rudder" will be of benefit as well. So far it's been an excellent read and easily understood. However does anyone (instructors?) have any criticisms about techniques described in the book BEFORE I pick up any potentially bad habits?

Would appreciate your thoughts!

Regards

Adam

Shaggy Sheep Driver
23rd Mar 2005, 12:04
I don't know if S&R will help with PPL exams - it certainly should. It is an excellent book and should, IMHO, be required reading for every PPL.

You won't pick up any bad habits from it. It can only make you a better pilot.

SSD

HHUK
23rd Mar 2005, 12:12
Thanks for the reply SSD.

The book is a fantastic read - really well written and easy to understand despite the language difference and having been written so long ago.

I will continue to read with gusto - it has really brought extra enthusiasm to my PPL studies and will hopefully improve my flying technique over time :D

Thanks

Adam

stiknruda
23rd Mar 2005, 12:25
I think that it is a great book, but then I'm probably biased!

Stik

aces low
23rd Mar 2005, 14:22
As an instructor, one of my observations is that students who fail to grasp the primary relationships between Power, Attitude and Performance struggle to fly the aeroplane when the work rate goes up. Accuracy is the first thing out of the window...

Stick and Rudder makes it very clear and simple...for instructor and student. I cannot recommend it highly enough to my students...but most of them ignore me and spend the money on a flying jacket with wings on instead.

HHUK
23rd Mar 2005, 14:26
Thanks for the feedback so far

Looks like I'll be up late tonight reading more about "airplane gaits" :D

Thanks

Adam

Sans Anoraque
24th Mar 2005, 14:18
Re the 'language difference' - he may sound like a sausage-sucker, but I believe he was a Sherman.

Have to agree with it being required reading, esp for new(ish) PPLs

Confabulous
24th Mar 2005, 21:17
Excellent book, well worth the money and time - read it constantly, you'd be surprised how easy it is to forget some of the principles Langeweische talks about.

Conf

Miserlou
25th Mar 2005, 18:17
Another vote for Stick And Rudder here!

Many people fail to grasp the simple fact that aeroplanes still fly the same way as they did when the book was written.

SASless
29th Mar 2005, 13:41
Unless you understand what a "rudder" is all about....one cannot fly an airplane. Very few pilots do understand what the rudder does, can do, and should do....yes...that is a very good book on just those topics.

I also submit ....until you know Gann....you cannot be a real pilot. Also if you have to ask who Gann is....you are not a pilot.

Stoney X
29th Mar 2005, 14:00
Of course a real pilot is somebody who never stops seeking knowledge about flying. So who is Gann? :uhoh:

Regards
Stoney

(Google can up with Ernest K. Gann, aviator and author. Is that the one?)

FullyFlapped
29th Mar 2005, 15:44
Gann wrote several excellent books (including Fate is the Hunter) and generally lived a rather full life.

However, if what our somewhat pompous friend above says is true, I shall never become a pilot by "knowing Gann", since poor old Ernest died in 1991 ....

FF :ok:

Confabulous
29th Mar 2005, 15:45
Fate Is The Hunter (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671636030/qid=1112114639/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/202-4210070-4348612)

That's the one Stoney, go get it.