PDA

View Full Version : Restricted FAA license / N reg aircraft

SCruiser
22nd Mar 2005, 23:41
Hi All,

I have been looking into getting the FAA license, an airplane from the US and an IR on the FAA license while in the UK.
It looks like some differences from what I have read around - someone may find it useful and someone may be able to help!..
I also have some questions on the Instrument Foreign Pilot exam and aircraft ownership (N reg) in UK.

Spoke with the FAA and they advise that they no longer send out Field Inspectors for licensing. The only way to get your Restricted FAA license is to go to an IFO in the US.
Apparently they may consider sending out traveling inspectors in October 2006 or so, but until then it's in the US that you get your license.

The license validation excercise went pretty quickly (with Australia), only took about 3 weeks to get back the AFS-760 form (verification of foreign license). :)

There is a gentlemen by the name of Thomas Hughston at Norwich airport who can do FAA exams. I tried to find some more information about him on the web but didnt get much, so will give him a call.
Has anyone done the Instrument Foreign Pilot exam in the UK? - Any ideas on how much it costs here?.
In addition, speaking with the a gentlemen from the FAA office in London, (they mainly do maintenance here apparently?) - he said that it is no longer possible to do FAA PPL exams outside of the US. Has anyone also heard this? - he said that it is only quite recently that this has come into place.

I have read around about N reg ownership and found a few places that arrange US trusts to legally handle it. -
Is there much difference in the service between companies that provide these services?.
I noticed that most of the N reg aircraft in the UK go through one company after searching through the FAA rego. database. - guess they must be good!!

I am not clear on maintenance of N reg aircraft in the UK,.. Would anyone have any experiences of what works well here?.

Also, Insurance - are UK insurers happy to insure N reg aircraft, or is it preferable to go through a US insurer..

These are the areas that I have not got into too far yet - still looking.

Any thoughts or comments from other people who have been there and done that would be very much appreciated.
Cheers.. :ok:

Flyin'Dutch'
23rd Mar 2005, 13:46
For more information on operating on the 'N' do a quick search and you will have a few days reading all you have harvested.

IFP is a 60 question written test. The IR will then be added to your license. You can do that at the same time as picking up your restricted license from the FBO you have nominated.

No problem having a UK insurer; You don't pay insurance tax on insuring an 'N' registered machine.

Trusts are very much a personal matter.

AFT @ Norwich can indeed provide you with the facilities for the written tests.

www.flyafts.co.uk is the URL IIRC